Lithium jump starter packs??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roachie

State:: SA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Lithium jump starter packs?? Reply with quote

I'm curious as to how many people carry a jump start pack these days?

Getting caught out bush with a flat battery/ies could prove devastating.

Nothwithstanding that we might have our Bushtracker handy with it's bank of batteries, does anybody carry around a jump pack?

My gaze has set upon one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOCO-Genius-Boost-Pro-GB150-12V-4000-UltraSafe-Lithium-Jump-Starter-Pack-/252585777420?hash=item3acf49190c:g:sfUAAOSwgY9XdryY

Youtube shows the model depicted being successfully used to start a large prime mover in the USA.

The shame of it is that the cheapest one I can see here in Australia is $589- with free postage, whereas this one (from the USA) is around $100- cheaper landed here, despite having to pay for postage.

I could probably get away with the 2000 amp version anyway I guess. My old jumper leads are about 40 years old and probably not up to the task of starting a 6.6 litre V8 diesel anyway......hence my desire to consider what I'd do in a time of need when the BT wasn't with me.

Thoughts?

Bill
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks you need more to do roachie...

I mean get a hobby, you are being a bit OCD here...

Look, with the amournt of solar Bushtracker has, even in a catostrophic crash, it is only a moderate part of a day solar charge and you are up and running in about half a day.

Even the tow vehicle...

Best regards, Admin
Roachie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve,

I was meaning more for those occasions when we might not have the BT with us....eg: gone for a day trip somewhere and left the BT back at "the river" (or wherever).

Hey, I do have another hobby too....I have a large model railway "empire" in my shed!! hahaha

Bill
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not such a crazy idea Roachie...

I am a bit OCD myself on equipment in my tow vehicle. I also have a small lithium jump starter in my motorcycle kit, and gave my Staff one each for Christmas last year for their Wives tow vehicles... They have reportedly started a few vehicles with lights left on, sort of a booster effect.. Laughing

I do not carry one for my 6.7 Cummins Dodge Ram, because I have 200 AH lithium battery in the back, and a flat 200 watt solar panel on the roof of the canopy.. That is pretty extreme, but it is the first lithium pack we ever tested and still going strong running a 100 litre fridge-freezer. I can always jump start or boost off of that system if needed..

Those small lithium jump starter packs are cheap at around $100, so while you and I are a bit OCD about extra gear on our trucks, this is probably a valid idea to have along. Laughing Laughing My bed slide out is full of great ideas, Sidchrome tool kits, spares, filters, sides full of all sorts of lithium battery pack power tools, air compressor kit, and dozens of other bits typical of us OCD "Rig Junkies"... So no, not such a bad idea. If I sell my 3.0i I am thinking of two 2.0i Hondas, and one can ride in the rig, everything else is in there, why not? Laughing Laughing Laughing

You could also do the old trick like we had on Landcruisers years ago, and isolate the two starting batteries with an old $25 Ford Starter relay. Then even if your second battery was flattened by headlights left on or a fridge in the back, the second battery kicking in would be enough to start the truck in a pinch...

To be fair, I think the inexpensive Lithium jumper packs is a good backup idea. I too have seen them offered under $100, and you can use them to charge a phone or whatever else too... 👍 Why not!!!
Bushtrek

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't bother adding another battery to the list of batteries already in your household/caravan.

You could look at an alternative to Lithium jump starters that don't have batteries in them.
These are Capacitor jump starters. Have had one for 5 years. It sits in the back of the truck, weighs about 2.5kgs, and will recharge in less than 2 minutes off a "dead" battery.
Delivers 300 amps current (nearly all starter motors are current limited to 250 amps max) and the beauty of it is, once charged it will retain the charge for at least 4 years. The claim is for charge retention of 10 years, but I haven't had it that long and have used it a few times on different trucks and cars.

The beauty of it is that you never have to maintain it. Just connect it to a dead 12V battery, it takes less than 2 minutes to charge up (most dead batteries have about 10 Amphrs of residual capacity left in them, even at 8 volts) then connect the clips and start the truck.
Darjak

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Redarc isolator for your deepcycle battery in vechile, all that is needed is a bypass wire on the isolator run back to a press button switch mounted in dash and hey presto no need for any extra weight not even jumper leads.
I have had this system in vechile since 2004 and only had to use it twice both times in the middle of nowhere with nobody in sight and NO I don't carry jumper leads.

Darrell
Darjak

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Redarc isolator for your deepcycle battery in vechile, all that is needed is a bypass wire on the isolator run back to a press button switch mounted in dash and hey presto no need for any extra weight not even jumper leads.
I have had this system in vechile since 2004 and only had to use it twice both times in the middle of nowhere with nobody in sight and NO I don't carry jumper leads.

Darrell

Last edited by Darjak on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roachie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, I've already ordered one of the 4000amp units from the USA (last night via ebay), so will settle for that and see how it goes.

I rarely have any issues with my own batteries, but tend to be asked to assist others more often.

My jumper leads, that I've had since about 1975, are only relatively light duty type suitable for "normal" cars.....not my 6.6 litre truck.

So, rather than buy another set of jumper leads (or make some myself out of welding cable), I thought one of these packs will be the go.

They are small (ish) and quite light and should retain charge for long periods of time without attention.

Cheers,

Bill
Bushtrek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
That thing has a huge current capability compared to the "little"3 kW starter motor in your truck.
Just for interest your starter will need only about 700 Amp inrush current to get things moving then after 0.1 to 0.2 seconds it falls back to 300 amps or thereabouts cranking the motor. If the motor is at minus 40C the starter might need 400 to 450 amps to do the job. So your good for visiting Chicago with it ha-ha.

The capacitor unit I have will allow up to 1000 amps inrush to flow but falls within 30 microseconds to 300 amps.

Yours is a good unit, I have seen them in use on tractors and scrapers at Camballin NT.
Roachie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, as with most things I tend to go over the top!!! hahaha
DnGsTracker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Jaycar currently has a 300a capacitor jump starters as discontinued stock for $149.

Has anyone used one to start a LC200 diesel successfully?

At that price they look like good value if they work. Very Happy

Glen
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen,

You may find that 300A is a bit too small for a LC200. I just did an EBay search on them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X300a+capacitor+jump+starters.TRS0&_nkw=300a+capacitor+jump+starters&_sacat=0

and typical comments for the 3OOA are:

"It can generally start a warm 4.0L or cold 3.0L petrol engine, or 2.0L diesel engine. " or similar comments, depending on the seller and the item.

Personally, I would like to get a Capacitor model for my LC200 but me thinks one needs to be looking around a bare minimum of 2000 to 4000 A ….and you have a 6.6L donk to turn over!!

Regards,
Dave
DnGsTracker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

Still haven't got my data logger yet...

That is the same unit Jaycar has for $149.

Reading Bushtek reply's, he is saying that starter motors are limited to 300A max. If this is the case, and I have no reason to doubt him, then this would be a good buy and should work.

Glen
andrebb

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lithium jump starter that I got from ebay. I also use it on my other vehicles.
peripatetic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, picked up my new van just over a week ago, 300A Lithium with an Anderson PP on the A frame.

I have an LC200.

I'm assuming that if I had a set of Anderson plug ready jump leads then the AP on the A frame could be used to jump start the cruiser.

Would this be correct? Or are there some limitations I should be aware of?

Cheers

Charles
DnGsTracker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles

No it would not work.

The Anderson plug connection on the front of the van is connected to the input of the 12v/12v charger not the battery.

Regards

Glen
Roachie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to Glen's response, even if you added some extra cabling directly from the BT's batteries to a separate Anderson Plug so you could plug-in a jump starter cable, I reckon the relatively tiny cables used on a 50amp Anderson plug wouldn't be sufficient to take the current needed to start a medium to large vehicle.

The voltage drop you'd experience over 5 to 6 meters would be really substantial and you'd need significantly thicker cable....maybe if you used the LARGE Anderson plug (175 amps) along with the proper size cable to suit the lugs.

The other thing too......I don't know much about the Lithium set-ups that are used in the BT. However, what I do know is that the types of jump starter units like I have purchased, rely on some pretty substantial capacitors to effect the jump itself. The battery is actually pretty small.

I'm not sure what effect jump starting an engine from the BT's batteries would have on their integrity...perhaps none; but it'd be worth finding out before even trying as they are not a cheap item.

Bill
peripatetic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys, btw it's a power out AP on the A-frame and is not used not used for charging purposes.

I'd better check that .....

I was confused by the earlier posts from Steve - dated Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 pm, must have misunderstood.

So, some sort of get of flat battery get of jail card is needed, the standalone lithium packs discussed here or maybe a battery charger ran off the generator.

Cheers

Charles
bobrovin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peripatetic wrote:
or maybe a battery charger ran off the generator.

Cheers

Charles

Or just plugged into the 240 outlet on van and run off the inverter. no need for genny.
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

I bought this earlier this year on EBay for my LC200 and the same NOCO is now $30+ cheaper plus it has the Phone pack as a bonus.
Doesn’t take up much room and if you also have a car as we have, we leave it in the car until we need to go away in the LC200.
Starts Diesels up to 6 Litre.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOCO-GENIUS-BOOST-12V-MINI-JUMP-STARTER-BOOSTER-2000A-MAX-GB70-PHONE-POWER-PACK-/401197227467?epid=621036912&hash=item5d6937ddcb:g:8dIAAOSwsXVZX-sh

Regards,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: