BATTERIES ARE NO GOOD, AND DIED EARLY, (Bushtrackers Fault)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: BATTERIES ARE NO GOOD, AND DIED EARLY, (Bushtrackers Fault) Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

People who overwork their batteries, run them too low, or too long, or overcharge them from the tow vehicle to too high of voltages, or other abuse.... Have problems with batteries, and of course to hear it from them it is always Bushtrackers fault... Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing

But the 19 out of 20 who do not, and care for their batteries seldom have trouble. Wink

Interestingly we have had three sets of Customers in as many weeks, come in to do preventative maintenance "before their next big trip". In each case the batteries have still tested good, but maybe down to 25% of their life left at a guess... In each case the batteries were still good...

In each case the batteries were going on 4 years old, but obviously had good care... And they had a little dust on them coming in the vents like this one come over from W.A. , no corrosion, and typically looked like this:

Now these people are being protective, in replacing their batteries before their next big trip.... BUT I HATE TO THROW THEM AWAY !!! They are still good. I guess I will keep running some of these on my tractors and stuff at the Horse Property... Wink Rolling Eyes

I can't stand to throw away something that is still working good !!!

Batteries are something that reflect the care and consideration that people give to them in living with their vans... For reasons they may not even know, it is easy to abuse them, add on too many "New" things above what the system was designed for, or run them too low, or overcharge them from the tow vehicle when these older styled maintenance free batteries did not like over 14.4 volts.. Some people would hook up large charging lines to their tow vehicles, and some vehicles will charge all the way to 14.9-15 volts that we have seen... We suspect this is one of the main culprits in them unknowingly causing the early demise of batteries now and then.. But often, they do not understand enough of the technology to pick the cause...

In any case, our new batteries are designed to take a variable equalization voltage from 14.4 to 15 volts. This accounts for all charging parameters. And now, going on a year, there have been no faults, no one has been able to hurt them... We will keep you posted on the Tech progress...

Regards, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Brisbane Show,

We had few more people reporting 4 and 5 years of Battery Life... That would be about 10 Bushtrackers in the last few months. And a surprise two reported 7 years... Stewarts from N.Z. and Maugers here in Australia... If you take the right care, it extends your battery life.
R&R

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our original batteries still going strong from 2004. We never let our batteries get below 12.3
tolemac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three years on mine, as good as the day they were put in. Same policy, never below 12.3 V.
BONSAI

State:: VIC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

Picked up our van in 2011 and still using the same batteries 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: