2016 Dodge Ram SRW MegaCab, upgrade to 2018 Dodge Ram DRW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: 2016 Dodge Ram SRW MegaCab, upgrade to 2018 Dodge Ram DRW Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Everything you could want to know about the Dodge Cummins Diesel is in the Topic below The New Adblue Dodge Ram, and the other one Introducing the Dodge Ram below This is just an annex to it because of the occasional Long Wheel Base version, like the long bed (8' bed) or in my case the 2016 Mega Cab..

If you have been reading and following along with this R&D, you will know that I sold my last one and went to the Mega Cab, as the seats fold down into the floor to make up a virtual double bed. It enables my Wife to travel with me on long hauls, because on rougher tracks She can lay down in the back and support her neck (bone spurs) or do exercises, stretching, reading, sleeping. I have to say that now with 27,000 kms on the clock, and our last trip of over 4500 kms to FNQ: It has been a success. There are some advantages to the Long Wheel Base, so maybe don't pass on one as for a big van it does tow better...

It is that sort of near half meter longer, and the seats fold down into the floor. I have made up a three piece mattress for my Wife to lay down back there because of her back, sort of a "sleeper cab".

Cons: It is harder to park a LWB, and it has a meter wider turning radius.. I do not notice the turning radius as much as the parking. You almost have to take part of a second parking spot and hang over the line. A small car can still park behind you. That or you have to hang it over the curb and sidewalk by backing in, that is what I normally do.. In normal parking as shown below at a Mall, it is just impractical.

Now it is do-able, but better to back in and overhang the curb and sidewalk a bit, then you fit better.

Pros: First of all there is the extra room in the Mega Cab. Luggage area behind the seat that is totally invisible with the seats up. And, as show below, the seats can lean back further with more foot room:

Like I said: Seats down, I have made up 100mm cushions (3) that makes up a bed in the back. This is the one version of the Long Wheel Base, the other is the Long 8' Bed.. Anyway it does tow better.

Now the big one, and the surprise real advantage:
Friends, I am here to tell you that with a big van, the longer wheelbase is better handling of the load. Not only side to side but more, it is a longer cantilever with the hitch out the back affecting the longer wheelbase between the wheels, so there is less of a hobby horse affect on bounding roads. I think my point is, that for a very large and heavy van, the LWB should not put you off if that is all that is available.. It might even outweigh the inconveniences against it. In other words, maybe consider it if that is all that is available, because I think the benefits outweigh the parking and turning disadvantages.

I do not think I would go out and purposely get one, unless you had a valid reason like me for having it, like me for my Wife. However, if there was only one available in the LWB, I an not sure I would pass on it if that was all there was. OK with that?

I think my R&D on Tow Vehicles is just about over. I went from my favorite dual rear wheel style, to single rear while as the DRW scared new Clients that thought it was necessary... Rolling Eyes So I went to a Single Rear Wheel... Now to an SRW Mega Cab as my Wife has a degenerative bone disease in her back and she needs the lay down "sleeper cab" style the Mega Cab offers... I am home, and I have added "Quartz Shine Plus" glass coating job for paint protection.. (90% silica and hard as glass). I think this is it.. Wink

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:51 am; edited 4 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

My new 23' Bushtracker for 2018 is loaded with a new level of innovations. It is running a bit heavy, loaded will be over 4 tons, (6)-150watt solar panels, 600 AH of LIthium batteries, big 7.5 kg washing machine that converts to 4.5 kg dryer, big gear everywhere. That is how I like to travel, so I get the feeling I could pull up anywhere and I am home, my own Station so to speak.

Now my current Dodge Ram SRW will do the job admirably, and I am leaving for Tasmania in a couple of weeks. However, with a really big van, nothing digs harder than a Dually, DRW, Dual Rear Wheels. I show this on some of the DVDs of years past, where the SRW 4x4 is spinning tyres and spitting dirts or sand or gravel, the Dually cruises right over it.

How you do this is travel heavy. I carry a long ton in my Dodge, on a bed slide out. This will all go into the Dually due in April, plus 500 litres in three tanks so I will have around a 2500 km range. With the weight for traction, a Dual set up digs really hard about like a 6x6. The advantage is about the same from normal ute to 4x4, again that much to a Limited Slip Dually OK?

It is horses for courses. Most of you would not need to go beyond this SRW, which I have upgraded with Firestone Air Bags inside the coils to upgrade it from a 2500 HD to a 3500 HD (Mod Plated)

My 2500 HD was getting a little overloaded with a big van on the back, so I have upgraded to a 3500 HD rating, still on SRW Single Rear Wheel. The bigger load is carried by a 3500 rating now, with these air bags inside sleeves in the coils:

But here is the right way to go extreme off-road, a new DRW, (Dual Rear Wheel) a 2018 Longhorn is coming in April. It has all the luxury of the current Limited, plus this one has an adjustable air suspension over the two main leafs.. It is still the Mega Cab, for a bed inside so She can lay down on rougher roads..

Really, why the Dodge Ram? Well I also have a Sahara but: This has more luxury than my Sahara (Wifes town car), nicer interior, better towing, more power, more comfort, more capability, better running gear, engine brake in two levels, and better fuel economy towing...

Kind regards, on the road Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the Mega Cab? And I am doing it again....

Well, seat up, you have luggage room behind the seats. The Mega Cab seats fold down kind of into the floor. Then I have (3) six inch velour covered cushions that fit into that to make a bed...

My particular use for the bed, is my Wife has a spinal structure problem, that may end up being surgical, and anyway on a rough track She has to lay down. She cannot sit upright for the lumps and bumps, as it compresses her spine when possibly three vertebrae need to be fused. So this is the final beauty of the Mega Cab. It coverts from this, where the seats have luggage room behind but fold down into a bed base...

To this, where I have three piece thick velour cushion for my Wife's back..

Just to let you know how some of these things can be used as advantages to travel OK? Dual rear wheel and Mega Cab...

On the road... Steven Gibbs, Director
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is probably the best Testimonial for the Dodge Ram, possible...
Besides more safety, more control, engine braking in manual and automatic modes, less driver fatigue, more leverage on the van, and a better ride and luxury level more than a Sahara.... There IS something more.

This is probably the heaviest 2500 HD Dodge Ram, Cummins Diesel, first of all it is a Mega-Cab. This is about 400 mm longer cab, room for a bed in the back. Also a Leer FG canopy. Then it has the heaviest duty steel Bull Bar, a Ranch Hand, made to save truck and driver hitting cattle, and a winch...

Then it has the heaviest duty rear bumper, checker plate top, all steel box section, made to protect it backing into things and terror on "Tail-Gaters".. Laughing

Third it has the heavy duty bed slide out, big Sidchrome toolbox that is loaded, a fridge/freezer in stainless, a 220 litre fuel tank and 3 meter hose to auto shut off, and another larger tool box with 5 power tools and attachments, and 200 amp Lithium, and charger, LVD, and DC to DC... and more.. I am ready to "Homestead" anywhere I stop... Laughing

So what about the Testimonial? Yesterday I went down to south Brisbane, to Hillcrest, 237 kms round trip. Mostly highway, but some city traffic. Now I was carrying a long tonne, more than a Landcruiser can even do, and I got 9.7 litres per hundred.

Mind you, I have a Tuner, and Ram Cold Air intake with a Snorkel, and modified exhaust.. But 9.7 litres/100 k? Carrying a long tonne? Most Landcruisers cannot get that good running empty. Further, to rub salt in the wound..Laughing Mine rides better than my Sahara, my Wife wants to take the Ram on any trips towing or not, and it has luxury the Sahara does not even have... he heh... Wink

It is totally NOT NECESSARY for vans up to 20'-21', but it IS better. It only becomes necessary for larger vans over 21', and yes it is nicer and better..!

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, at Bushtracker
Getting ready for a couple of months in Tasmania...

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I have to tell you, you forget how nice some of the comforts are with the Dodge Ram... I have a Sahara at home, my Wife likes it for our "town car" that can also go out on the horse property, but there are a couple of things really lacking:

For one, up in the New England Hiway ranges, it was 12 C this morning. After a romp with her little therapy cavoodle "Wookie" (Star Wars Wookie) and away we go. My hands were freezing!!! Was it nice to turn on the steering wheel heater!! Exclamation The Sahara does not have that!

Much bigger than that, and this is important for you that take test drives: Look, it has a fantastic engine brake... If you are only used to Landcruisers, imagine down shifting through six gears with a big 6.7 litre Cummins.. Cool On your test drive, you will not feel it much. But with a big van on the back like my 23' at over 4 tons loaded and seven tanks full, it is triple the power! Unloaded on a test drive, it only marginally works down to about 40 kph. LOADED it is a major feel down to about 10-20 kph. Loaded it sounds like a quiet Jake Brake like on the 18 Wheelers OK?

Now, you will not get much of a feel for it on a test drive, because unloaded it does not have the job to do. But there are two modes: Manual, basically comes on when ever you let off the accelerator... Auto, the green symbol mode, comes on when ever you feather touch the brake, otherwise it lets you coast. THAT is the best setting for us.

Now, yes, the Dodge Cummins diesel is safer, has more control, had more comfort, gets better fuel economy, even the 2500 HD is designed for 6 ton towing, it has a longer wheelbase and more safety, and all the comforts of the Sahara like air conditioned seats and zone climate control and 25 other things. But the two items above, are even beyond the Sahara. I am here to tell you that I really enjoy those two things..

How does it travel? My Wife is the best testimonial OK? She has a bone spur in her neck and needs three vertebrae in her back fused... Bad genetic luck.. Anyway, She used to race yachts and I took her up to Airlie Beach for a Holiday, in the Sahara a few years ago.... On the way back, without any prompting, not a word from me, She says: "The Sahara is all right, but from now on we will take the Dodge Ram" or words to that effect... HER choice and She is nearly wheelchair bound. She is so bad off, not only do I have a 4x4 wheelchair with me, but She is flying down to Melbourne to get picked up. Tasmania will be short jaunts, and I have the Mega Cab because seats folding down into the floor makes like a double bed in the back. I have three velour coated 6" soft cushions for her to lie on with Wookie for the rougher road. She is trying to lose weight and get skinny and try every remedy instead of surgery OK? But this is the greatest Testimonial for how the Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram rides. (Softer than an empty test drive, when loaded up, and the Engine Brake Jake Brake, works 2-3 times stronger loaded as well.)

Mid NSW outside of Dubbo, on my way to Tasmania, thought you might like this empirical testing and feedback OK? On the road with the Ranger... Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
IF and I say IF you are going to be patient and order a new truck like I did... This is a really nice option. The rear Air Suspension is called a Load Leveler and you can modify it to adjust your ride height...

Now I am getting it on my new Dodge Cummins Diesel Mega Cab, due in April. It will sure come in handy, as my Wife of 40 years is a bit handicapped, until She succumbs to back surgery... Anyway, this looks like it can adjust the ride, and the ride height. Maybe take it off automatic can make it manual, but the bones are there to make it a great advantage.

Over the Main Leafs, you can see the Firestone Air Bags...

This will be the THE top of the line (IMO). Here shown is the entire systems, back up tank, controls, main leaves, stabilizer bar, I for one cannot see anything wrong with it!!! LOVELY..

It will be coming in April, more as it arrives. But if you are ordering a new truck, I think this might be something worth holding out for...

I mean what what I am doing right now, the SRW in this white Mega Cab works just fine... Here shown in Tasmania at "Bays of Fire"...

But if you are going to get into the rough stuff off-road, exploring, chasing camels, gold fossicking, goofy (FUN!!) stuff like me, nothing beats the digging power of a loaded Dually off-road. This rear end is just SEXY!!

And the adjustable air suspension shown above will make it AWESOME off road...

Kind regards, on the road Ranger... HVRAS Officer Qld Transport, Director for Bushtracker, and Mad Inventor.. on a couple of whiskeys in Bays of Fire in Tasmania... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: