Bloomfield track

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terryf

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Bloomfield track Reply with quote

Has anybody taken their van up the Bloomfield track to Cooktown from Cairns.
overlander1

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive driven it plenty of times and i know people do take vans on the track but personally i would never take my BT along it . Its steep and very windy if traffic is coming in the other direction it would be a nightmare getting round them
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with overlander1, it would be an interesting, enjoyable and perhaps challenging trip towing the BT if you could get a run with no traffic. It’s very steep in places, you wouldn’t want to be underpowered or overloaded.
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overlander1 ... I see your local .. have we met ?
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
lets went

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TF I also agree with the views above.
We did the Bloomfield track and up to the tip and back down to Weipa and then home to Cairns last October great trip took 20F BT all the way.
If you are heading to Cooktown it would be easier without the BT on the track and you would have a better time as you can get into more places with out the BT in tow as it is tight and steep in a few places. Its just as easy to go from Cairns to one of the beaches like Wonga Beach leave the BT there and head up across with the Ferry, by the way the Ferry could be out of service for a week towards the end of February just check before going. From Mosman you can head up the Rex range and come out at Mount Molloy (free camp there as well) and then head to Cooktown from there once you are based in Cooktown you can head back down the Bloomfield track from the top its a really good drive all the way to Wujal Wujal, check out the Bloomfield falls you could even take the BT all the way down to Wujal Wujal if you wanted to road is sealed or camp at the Lions Den, just depends what time of year you are going, there are a couple of free beach camps around Cooktown as well, also check out Elim Beach past Hopevale and the coloured sands its only a bush camp site for $10 per night each person easy to get in there as well.
Regards
John
lesinperth

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the comments, it is very steep and windy. I have towed camper trailers over this track, but would be hesitant about towing a full sized caravan.
Another critical factor, this part of Australia is in the Wet Tropics and receives its share of heavy rain. The track becomes very slippery even after light rain with inherent traction loss, especially with towing any weight on the back.
It becomes a matter of the tail wagging the dog!
Regards, Les.
overlander1

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G,day Niknoff , no we've never met .we no longer live in Safety Bay we have been touring Australia for the last 4yrs living permanently in the BT . Currently caretaking a cattle station in Laura fnq.
Terryf

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments.
I have been along this way but 10 years ago and only in a 4wd. I have also done the tip and been to Weipa several times. We are heading up to the tip again and was looking for something different this time.Better to be safe than sorry so we will head out through Lakelands.

Regards
Terry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: