Modification to dust door bolts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pericles

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Modification to dust door bolts. Reply with quote

When I collected my new BT there were a number of small things I just knew I would have to do before heading west. Flow gauges were the first, so that I could monitor my water usage. A cage to stop my gear in the tunnel boot rubbing up against and damaging the electrical stuff and ... I just knew I was going to have to do something about the dust door “T” bolts. They were too easy to lose and too difficult to fit a lock to. My solution for the door was to use “drop-down tailgate bolts”. They have 12mm threads so will fit where the “T” bolts go but retro fitting is fiddly because of the already threaded securing holes and drilling out the existing holes in the door to fit over the tailgate bolts. The beauty of this system is nothing has to be unscrewed, they can’t be lost and they are easy to lock. Cost was about $40. See picture below ... hopefully.

[/img]

Last edited by Pericles on Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brutus

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s actually a watertight door & the T bolts are designed to tension up & provide a watertight seal. Dust protection is a secondary benefit. The only thing I have done is put a couple of locks in the holes to prevent someone closing the watertight door on me when I am inside. May never happen but!!
The locks also provide extra security when used with the watertight door.
Cheers,
Richard

Last edited by Brutus on Mon May 14, 2018 8:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pericles,

We use various size “quality” type plastic containers to store stuff in and all fits well and snug, no damage/scratches etc. to anything in >4 years.

Additionally, we bought some of the yoga mats (blue with thin grey section L:1900 W:650 D:18mm) from CLARKE RUBBER and have cut them to various lengths/sizes to prevent containers or gear, rubbing against anything. They are very lightweight, are easy to cut with a thin sharpened flat side blade that leaves a clean edge. If you don’t use a “thin sharp blade,” you get a serrated edge. They look professional and do a great job.
Because they are already a compressed rubber type foam, they don’t compress much and retain their “thickness and flexibility” and are very long lasting. We also use them in the rear luggage compartment of the LC200 for the same reason.

(Suggestion: measure & mark them out, lay the line to cut over either some very thick cardboard or on the concrete [we use the “crack” lines the concreter leaves in the concrete so the blade doesn’t blunt on the concrete] and use a long steel ruler or 1 mtr spirit level as your guide for the blade to cut against.)
We also have a tightly rolled up new yoga mat should we ever need to lay on the ground under the van/car and stand it up as it fits without touching the bed base. That way, it consumes little space.

https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/yoga-mat-2

All the best,
Dave
Laarby

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a bit of high density foam from Clarke Rubber to fit snug in the door frame a little compression prevent it from falling out of the door frame, the thickness is 12 and is slightly compressed against the ventilation roster between the security door and the outher doo, the height we have cut at 500mm so there is along way of dust to go down before it reaches the roster. Excellent.. no dust, no bull dust comes through.
Cheers, Marinus
Pericles

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the pictures uploaded. Sorry for delay and thanks for the replies and suggestions.

You may be able to see that the tailgate bolts have a wedge effect when they are closed which presses the door closed against the small rubber strip. I take the point that its supposed to be waterproof but as yet I've not tried that. I just hope its dust proof. I get that it will need some sort of cover at the top so have also gone for the foam chunk.

The bed in my van is east/west which means the battery gear is exposed to anything in the boot. I don't feel right about having anything right up against all that electrical stuff so my "cage" gives it a little "breathing space".
rover

State:: SA
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about the waterproof door, I have always considered it to be a unique security feature that implemented properly may well deter a thief.

Initially, when we left the van unattended I simply fitted a suitably sized large padlock through the upper bolt holes when the door was in the closed position. To prevent rain water building up I screwed the appropriately sized bolt into the lower hole with the door open to create a gap between the door and frame when the door was locked closed. However this arrangement is still vulnerable to a bolt cutter. To overcome this I purchased and fitted a stainless steel eye plate to the outer facing frame (which becomes inner facing when the door is closed) of the waterproof door. I then created an elongated hole in the aluminium frame such that when the door is closed the eye protrudes through the slot in the frame. I then use a shrouded padlock to secure the door while the van is unattended. I feel this configuration still needs a little more development to enhance the level of security but is far better than relying on the very basic security provided by the standard door.

Andy
flyingkiwi

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Modification to dust door bolts Reply with quote

Our BT is stored in a supposedly secure Kennards storage facility in Wollongong. Lowlife broke into facility and ripped every door off the hinges on every caravan except our BT. Aluminium plate door stopped them from entering ours. So, once again the quality of the BT came up trumps!
HunterL

State:: New Zealand
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We likewise use a padlock through the water tight door when the caravan is parked up to keep the evil doers out, but don't use a bolt in the other hole to ensure any rain can drain out. Have also made a frame from glued sections of pool noodle to fit over the door vent when we are in the dirt - compressed with the bolts behind the water tight door and works a treat. We use the same noodle material to fill the space between the fridge shelves and the door storage to keep everything in place. Pocket knife and contact adhesive with mitre joints and all sweet. And in the front boot plastic storage boxes keep the stuff in place!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: