HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENT FRIDGES FOR THE TOW VEHICLES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OFF ROAD CAMPING AND HOBBIES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: HIGH ENERGY EFFICIENT FRIDGES FOR THE TOW VEHICLES Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Most people end up with an extra fridge in the tow vehicle. On day trips away it is cold drinks and a lunch, and a stop and shop cold storage to get the goods home. The fridges in this Topic are among the most energy efficient I have seen. These following Posts are out of the Owners Section and have been modified here for reference, to benefit you "Owners to be" as some of you are outfitting your tow vehicles in advance. This is to help you benefit from my R&D, brought here into the Members Section because some of you might purchase before getting into the Owners Section to see the current R&D... OK?

First here is the Trailblazer, they do not sell Wholesale, this is not for profit, this is the result of 15 years of research and owning two of them.... More of my R&D to benefit you.
The best chest fridge would have to have a Danfoss Compressor, that is a given. But why the Trailblaza? Waeco has the Danfoss Compressor.... Engel from what I am told also has the Danfoss Compressor... So why in all of my research, do I keep coming back to a Trailblazer????

It is simple really, about a 30% power savings... Not only is the Trailblazer Robust, I have had one out in the weather for five years, still going strong. Another in the weather and in two horsetrucks, and it is about 14 years old now... Besides being the most Robust, in Aircraft grade Aluminium, and can be out in the weather.... Why Trailblazer and why does it get so much better power efficiency????? Three Things:

Insulation, Insulation, and in case you did not get it... Insulation... Laughing Laughing Laughing The Trailblazer has three inches of Poured Urethane Insulation, more than double most others...

Because of that, the United Nations uses it in Africa for Vaccines and here is what the WHO World Health Organization one looks like:

And the Army uses it, and here is the one built for the Army:

And here is a picture of the Standard one..

Now I am going an experienced version with the following Accessories that you may or may not want, but I do:

Mine is Ordered with a VDO voltmeter,
Freezer Option Switch so the whole fridge will run like a freezer, Low voltage LED alarm, and a built in 240 volt powerpack for gen-set or mains power run times.

See them at www.norcoast.com.au

Regards from the Ranger, doing R&D for a Lifestyle Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOY DID I GET SUCKED IN...

Listening to my own advice: Last year I bought the cutest, BUSHTRACKER FRIDGE, and it was in my F-350 King Ranch, for those that wanted to see it...

Isn't it cute? Looks like a little Bushtracker... Laughing

Volt meter at a glance, Temperature guage, Freezer dual thermostat switch, and 240 volt power pack as well.
You can go all electronic and digital.... But you can guess I like the gauges..
Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a new Competitor in the field. Now don't get me wrong, I think the Trailblazer and the service from the Company Norcoast Refrigeration, is outstanding in all aspects. However, an Owner had one of these "National Luna" fridges in stainless, and they are VERY impressive at about the same money.

This one is Stainless Steel, Danfoss BD-35 compressor, Digital Readout, and is Fridge one side and freezer on the other. Both can be fridge, and both can be freezer, or either / or...

I have had discussions with Trailblazer, and they do a similar model now that I have not seen, but this "National Luna" is smaller with a build over the compressor design on one side, and the condensor is air cooled rather than skin cooled like the Trailblazer.. The problem is the Trailblazer unit is too big, I am sold on the two compartment idea, two doors, and I want it to sit infront of the wheel well in my Silverado bed, sideways along the Drivers Side for easy access... This is my choice in 74 Litres combined: This will be my current R&D testing one for you.

Here is a cut out on an alloy model, poured urethane insulation...

Here is the Stainless model I am getting:

Polished Stainless interior, built over the compressor on one side, and a different technology in that it is forced air condensed evaporator, rather than skin of the fridge condensed like the Trailblazer.. I chose this to give you real time R&D on it, simply because it fit my needs in size where the Trailblazer just would not fit being longer..

I will follow up with my observations on how it goes and performance, digital read out, forced air cooling, it seems to be a little higher technology but time will tell. It fit my location, that forced my hand, they are bout the same money.... My last Trailblazer, the Bushtracker alloy body armour one, went with my faithful King Ranch F-350.. Crying or Very sad I will miss them both. But, onward and upward with my R&D on your behalf.. Wink

Kind Regards, on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine, for R&D, delivered and running in the Silverado Dually parked in front of my office. It will be here for your inspection.

This is impressive, refined in beautiful fit and finish. It comes with a 240v Powerpack built in, and separate Digital Readout and Digital "Set" so you can pre-set the temperature of each compartment to fridge and freezer, either or, or both the same..

And the compartments have stainless baskets and a light when you open the lid!! Very pretty, will have to see how it holds up.

R&D, as a Lifestyle, and when we find a new widget, we have to give it a try... Wink

Regards from the Road Ranger, making a "cold one"....
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some interesting results..

Out in the open, it appears this National Luna burns less power, because it is fan forced air condensing, rather than skin heat disappating condensing though the outer case like the Trailblazer. The Trailblazer suffers in the sun, because the outer skin gets hot and the compressor runs longer, or seems to. I will not have confirmation until summer, but early tests show lower power draw, which was reported to me by the other Bushtracker Owner.

I unplugged it over the weekend, and left in unplugged overnight, and it did not lose the settings on temperature on the two lockers. Plugged back in and it had retained the settings. My tests in the sun were yesterday, and it in fact does seem to burn less power.

Warranty is handled in Brisbane as the closest. The local Distributor to Bushtracker is in Marrochydore, where a couple are on display at:

Will post more results when I have them. Impressive so far.
Regards from the mad Scientist and half a horseman at Bushtracker Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some follow up on the use of the National Luna fridge:

Now note that I put it to more abuse than many of you would. It lives out in the sun, in the back of my Silverado Dually..

I have to say the unit works amazingly well, low power consumption, possibly because the compressor system is air cooled for the condensor in a radiator affair.. But it is low power draw... Mine right now is sitting with the freezer on -10 and fridge half at about 5 degrees as I am carrying the food from the horse property after a 20 hour power outage... Frozen meat and such on board...

Now I am not sure it is really made to be out in the weather full time. I was a little worried about the controls in the rain:

So I have sika-flexed on a diverter drip edge, above the controls in the area between the fridge and the bed:

Also in the recess where the lid seal comes down, I have put in some very soft foam tape that crushes down. Then I rubbed some clear silicone grease on it to stop the lid seal from sticking to it...

Anyway, works a treat, and you are welcome to see it any time here at Bushtracker where it lives full time out in the weather in the back of the Silverado. Lovely unit, seems low power draw, works a treat, all in stainless steel...

Regards from the R&D man, on the road with the Ranger...
mikekilo

State:: wa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: your fridge Reply with quote

Hi Bushtracker, its been a while now ,how is your new Lunar fridge /freez going,would you buy another one?. regards mike.

First of all it is Bushtracker, corrected above.

Secondly WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE!

Third: There are some pluses and minuses with this fridge/freezer. In my case yes I would buy it again. But here are the -/+... And thank you for asking as it has been in service for about six months now and definitely time for an update...

On the negative side: I have made a little drip edge over the electronics as I do not think it was really designed to be out in the rain all the time. However, so far so good. And besides, most of you would have it undercover.

The only other negative is both inside lockers seem to collect condensation more than usual. I think this is a result of the polished stainless interior... It is a nuisance, but not really a problem of any kind and when it is empty it is just a wipe out with a rag or sponge...

Pluses: It works very well. And honestly I cannot tell you why but I am convinced it burns less power than the other major option in the Trailblazer. I assume it is because the heat dissipation is done with a cooling fan on the condenser, rather than the external skin condensing like the alloy Trailblazer. From living with it, it seems to overall run on a considerably more efficient power usage, maybe by 30% or better. Possibly as high as 50%. This is worth discussion with them over how and how much..

Second plus, the stainless and finish is very nice looking, and more compact. It is not as bulky as the Trailblazer. One compressor system runs both fridge and freezer. To get the same combo in the Trailblazer just did not fit, as the TB was longer.

Overall, compact, fit and finish, and power draw seems to be better. I am a HUGE Fan of the Trailblazer, but this was so cute I just had to try it. That and the fact that the same size in the TB just did not fit between the front of the bed and the wheel well made up my mind to try it. I do dearly love the robustness and Service at the Northcoast Refrigeration Company that makes the Trailblazer. But in R&D to you, I had to try this National Luna to see how it went. Size won out, and power draw is better, so in a nutshell yes I would do it again. They were both about the same money for the fridge/freezer combo. But look again to see if Trailblazer have somehow improved their efficiency or power consumption, in all fairness as it has been a while...

Regards, stg
roger

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, Roger & Deb Clancy here, had our bushtracker delivered last week ( as we still do not have a tow vehicle, took your advice and researched the F350 super duty and have one on order, Stewart @ american perfomance looked after us well) i am now researching fitout options for 350, you imfo on the luna fridge is what i am after, ie: size, weight, cost and dealers. on another note the bushtracker is a hit with all our friends and i think you may have an order or 2 coming your way. meanwhile we are planing a trip north, will be looking for new campsite's along the way, any sugestions welcome. Very Happy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Roger and Friends,

Here is a one year "check up" report on the Luna Fridge Freezer:

I love its operation, and look, and the controls, and the function, two thermostats and two compartments and compact as well. I live out of it, food at Bushtracker and transport to the horse property. I do not think it is supposed to be outdoor in the wet enviornment like I am subjecting it to, and still it is holding up well with my modification shown in the above posts.

I only have one reservation that is a P.I.T.A. (Pain in the a$$) and that is for some reason it condensates water that pools in the bottom of both fridge and freezer. Now this is not be a problem if I use the freezer as a freezer, but I am using both as fridges and the freezer has to be set a couple of degrees lower by design.

Anyway, both collect and pool water. I have put soft foam tape around the lids, and still it happens. I think it is because of the polished stainless interior. Anyway, I have to mop it out now and then, pour in a little alcohol and clean out any mold or algae, anyway it is a PITA. Not too big of a drama though. Overall, I would say I still like the unit..

I will have to carry a super absorbant truck wash sized sponge when I find it, or one of those "Miracle Wipes" type absorbant cloth. Sheeeeel be right... Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
Time flies when you are having fun... The same fridge has lived outside in the rain for going on three years. It is a lovely fridge freezer and so compact it has graduated to an indoor job in the back of my Sahara..

For normal groceries, I leave the freezer at about -2 or -4 and the fridge about 4, that is just for shopping in transit. If I am doing serious shopping with frozen goods on board, I turn the freezer down to -8 or -9 in that range. It has survived in the back of a Silverado 3500 HD with the suspension beefed up with air bags, and then in the rain in an F-450, 7500 GVM with air bags over, out in the rain for years. Seems like a pretty good unit to me, and I am keeping it now going into the third R&D vehicle, my 200 Series.. Changing vehicles for R&D reports for you Owners, keeping the fridge... Wink

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, Sept 2012

Well, I still think the Trailblazer is the most robust, and most insulation, and I still have a 90 litre that is going on 20 years old. The first compressor died at about 15 years... The really cute Bushtracker styled one, sold with that truck it was in.. It was cute but a bit bulky for the size..

The best value for money we can find are the ARB Units. Danfoss Compressor, and ARB have them in 35L, 47L, 60L & 78L. I have one running in Matthews rig, this 47 lt, very power thrifty, and we are so impressed I will be buying one for my MAN truck in this 47 litre size:

Yes, the best unit is still my stainless National Luna, with separate freezer hold and separate controls, Dan Foss, air cooled condensor... Very flash and very functional but it is also the dearest fridge freezer on Earth.. Laughing Laughing It has survived being out in the rain in two other trucks for years! And now has moved to inside of my Sahara.. I still think the top most robust first place for sure is the Trailblazer, also shown in above posts, but possibly too bulky for the back of a 200 Series for some people... If you were out in the rain on the back of a ute, Trailblazer for sure.. Here is my National Luna in the back of my 200 Series on a Platinum Drop Down Slide Out for easy access on top of a drawer system.

Mind you if it fit, I am so pleased with the separate digital controls and readouts, if it fit on the floor, I would put it in the MAN that is going to the Melbourne and Perth Shows. However, since it is too big, I will be going the ARB 47 litre one. Good value.. I am updating the Topic on robust fridges to reflect the best value for money we see currently: The ARB fridges..

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Well, going on four years now, and what? Four vehicles of R&D.. I have to say, of all the fridges, this is the MOST expensive but I like it the best..

The freezer on one side, digital readout and controls, and fridge on the other side with its own set of controls, I use it almost all of the time.. For shopping, for trips, for lunches at Bushtracker it runs almost all of the time. It reminds me of an old Timex adv: "It takes a licken' and keeps on ticken' ..."... Laughing Wink

I am doing R&D on what may be the best value in a tug for vans over 21', with the 6.7 Cummins diesel. (You can read about it in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES).. Anyway, they are bringing me in a fibreglass canopy, painted to match, cheap cheap cheap for a few thousand. The catch is it will take a couple three months or so to get here, as the cheap way to get one in is on the back of a truck that is coming anyway... Wink

So I have built a temporary canopy for my dogs and cargo, and am using the same drop down slide out system shown in the Sahara R&D vehicle above. Only this will come out and drop down on the tailgate of the Dodge:

The platform it mounts on is about the same size most of you would use for drawers, but instead I have a false floor so I can reach in on the bed through the gull wing doors of the canopy coming.. Under the floor is a 400 ltr diesel tank, and the end is tool storage, hidden by the locking tailgate...

More crazy ideas from the lone Ranger, Cowboy on the road Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OFF ROAD CAMPING AND HOBBIES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: