Toyota 200 series and towing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benzak

State:: N S W
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Toyota 200 series and towing Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I'm a newbie having the good fortune to secure Gordon and Narelle's 2008 20 footer which is in absolutely immaculate condition.
I run a 200 series GXL Cruiser and noted the comments on synthetic oils for the hard haul. I phoned Toyota Aust who advised they don't provide tech advice any more and refer you to the dealers. The dealer advice is, the automatic transmission on the 200 series is virtually a sealed unit, no dip stick and not requiring change of oil unless in really hard conditions and then only at 80,000kms. They say the oil is Toyota "WS" which means world standard and only one of two oils of similar quality. They say Castrol does one but also go on to say, "if you change the oil away from the Toyota oil supplied you will void your warranty" there it is again the old "Toyota void the warranty " So........folks, that's the Toyota response, it will be interesting to see what happens if someone has an automatic failure, Comments anyone? and yes, I'm absolutely delighted with my purchase. Benzak
BobnDi

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll beat the Ranger and say welcome to the forum Benzak. While I am not sure about the 200 series, I have a 100TD auto which also has a sealed system and blew 5th gear at around 50K before I took delivery of my BT. Toyota did not want to know me and naturally I went elsewhere for the repair because of their attitude and the much lower cost but to get to the point, Western Automatics in Brisbane informed me the Toyota oil is a synthetic oil product.

But they also recommended that when using it extensively as a tow vehicle, I should have a service and oil change every 20K rather than the extended period recommended by Toyota. I also looked to put in a larger transmission cooler but they could not source one at the time.

Cheers
The Hob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have 60k on my 200series and most of it has been towing.

Asked dealer about changing transmission fluid but was told wait until 80k and it will cost heaps to get it done due to the nature of the transmission and the fluid (apparently)

I must say I am impressed how the 200 tows our 19ft BT.

Alan
safi1

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing the transmission fluid must be a common maintenance issue when towing a heavy load. At my 96k service on the Range Rover, the transmission fluid was changed because they knew I was towing a van. The 8 litres of oil cost $88 per litre plus labour. A very expensive exercise but they advised it would be most beneficial.

Gordon
BobnDi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon with most autos you can check the colour of the oil on the dip stick to see if there is burning and needs to be changed but with the sealed system in the Landcruisers this is not possible. But look, oil is not that dear and a regular change is pretty cheap maintenance in my book because a rebuild can be $5-7000.

Cheers
Darrell Heron

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon
Changed oil for second time at 150000k's / $65 for oil total about $120 all up that was at Port Macquarie Toyota Feb this year.

Darrell
Searenity

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Toyota 200 Series and Towing Reply with quote

Guys,
I have a 100TD which required a new auto gearbox after the original box failed catastrophically at 185k - this was just before we took delivery of our 20' BT. Although the box was under warranty by time it was out by distance - Toyota did not want to know me nor do the repair - seems a common issue. On the way I received much well intended advice which I have distilled to "change the oil every 20k when towing".
By the way, Toyota have two oil types [1] WS which is fully synthetic and [2] Type IV which is semi-synthetic. The general advice is that 100 TD 5 speed boxes should run Type IV only NOT WS.

cheers

Searenity
BobnDi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably fair to say that Toyota like all manufacturers are under pressure and starting to take short cuts and the evidence is in the current spate of recalls across all models. But their decision to abandon their customers with problems is also new and likely to reduce brand loyalty quite dramatically. I know that I will be looking at alternatives next time.

Cheers
safi1

State:: Tasmania
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Nissan is about to release it's new Pathfinder model with a 3L turbo diesel producing 550nm and towing capacity of 3,500kg with a price range around $76,000 for the top of the line.

Gordon
FSH00

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a former toyota service person today(now with nissan)
about autos and they said that the toyota's need an upgrade in the system to change when they shift gears when towing to avoid over heating. done by computer i think she said, doesn't take long & you should advise them if you are towing with it.
Only repeating what was told to me by her and not confirmed in any way.

Cheers,
Pete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: