Often OVERLOOKED MAINTENANCE ITEM, DODGE RAMS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Often OVERLOOKED MAINTENANCE ITEM, DODGE RAMS Reply with quote

Hello Friends....

Those of you that know what a CV Joint is, will know what I am talking about. Here is a video link for greasing it, and it is important to do maybe every 15-20,000 kms. They say every oil change, but to be fair with the full synthetic oils in the Cummins Engine they also say up to 24,000 oil changes. I would cut that in half.. Like towing, and in the dust, would classify as Severe Duty and I would change oil and filter about 10-12,000 kms. Due to that, maybe grease this CV joint every "OTHER" oil change.

Anyway, it is often overlooked, and it should be done or you will wreck the CV joint and your front tailshaft (driveline or drive shaft) as the U-joints wear out prematurely. Also note, that is not the big issue at hand, it would also stuff the seal on the transfer case output shaft, see my notes below...

Anyway: Here is the video as it takes a needle point greaser in a hard to find spot...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T1cnmg9ozAo

For those of you that do not know what a CV joint is: This CV stands for "Constant Velocity" joint. It is a smooth operating union of two U joints or Universal Joints, a cross of iron with four needle bearing loaded caps at all four directions of the U-joint. Now the tail shaft rides on those needle bearing caps, the reason being it takes two different slight angles or shaft that ride on this U-joint that makes up for the offset of the shafts. It is a grease-able fitting, and there is usually a grease fitting in it, and as you pressure the grease in forces out to the needle bearing caps. These days a lot of the U-joints are a sealed unit with synthetic long lasting grease and run til they fail. Me, I like the older style of pumping fresh grease into u-joints. Now: A CV Joint, is TWO of these U-joints together at a 90 degree offset, and connected by a common manifold. The manifold grease point forces grease into both U-joints.

Why is there a CV joint on the rear end of the front driveline, on the Dodge? Well, it is not for the driveshaft angles, as it is not that severe. A CV joint smooths out the tail shaft angles for little or no vibration. This CV Joint, is probably there to preserve the output shaft seal on the transfer case. So if you let the CV joint go, not only will you stuff the front tail shaft, but probably also blow the front transfer case seal and that spells disaster... !!

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Mad Scientist
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Friends,

While all the trucks are good, Ford, Dodge, Chev, all have the full synthetic fluid commercial grade transmissions, all are about the same creature comforts, while there is not a lot of difference in their function anymore..... Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram is still the pick of the litter, because of the in-line 6cyl which allows total engine access under the bonnet..

Fords are also a tough truck with the new Ford 6.7 Scorpion engine, but are designed to pull the cab for any serious maintenance... Hmmm It is easy in America where every Dealer has a crew and special hoists, but here... Not so good..

Chevrolet, Sierra or GMC, are in the running, but I do not like the independent suspension and it should be upgraded on the tie rod ends for Outback Australia among other things.. Again they are all good, but with "Your Best Interests in Mind" I still recommend the Cummins Diesel, back by Cummins, Chrysler, HSV Walkinshaw Dealers, and a handful of Conversion People but my pick is the best conversion which is without a doubt SCD in Brisbane. I show pictures of why in the Topic on it in this Category...

Back on this Topic on this CV Joint: This one feature on the Dodges, that needs needlepoint greaser work, is a seemingly dumb and unpleasant issue. Put the Transfer case in Neutral, transmission in neutral and the front drive shaft rotates easily. I pressured up the needle point grease spot enough that is spit back out a string of compressed grease when I removed it, like a snake uncoiling in pencil lead thickness of grease coming out. I had hoped to see grease just coming out of the cap ends of one of the U-Joints but no... The seals are that tight.. Almost a sealed unit altogether.

My job was just done at about 11,000 kms. While the book says every oil change, with synthetic oil that would be like 24,000 kms. I recommend oil changes at sort of 10,000 so you could do this needle point grease job every other oil change... Yes it is a pain in the tookus, yes I would think there could be a standard grease fitting, but this CV joint is pretty tight and neat so I guess there is no other practical way...

Best regards, Steven Gibbs, road Ranger, Truck Fanatic, Bushtracker Scientist, and half a Horseman... heh he Laughing
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, is the Dodge Ram a "constant 4x4"?

If not, then I would expect the greasing of the front drive line wouldn't be quite as crucial unless the rig was being used in 4x4 mode quite often.

Just a thought...

Cheers,

Bill
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not full time 4x4.... I have not studied the current electric disconnect (free wheeling) on the right front axle yet, except to say it is very large and stout. I am not sure how it works yet, but here are my practical observations:

Yes, my guess is the driveshaft does turn as you drive. One side axle is disconnected by an electrical servo. That leaves one axle turning and with a semi-limited slip diff the driveshaft and CV Joint is turning, just free wheeling a bit with no load. Us Blokes don't read the Owners Manual until we break something... Laughing Laughing

If you slide under and try and turn the driveshaft, it feels like it is locked up. To get it to spin freely, you have to put the transfer case in neutral..

I have not studied it, but my guess is the front driveshaft turns as you are driving, just no load. My guess is that is why they recommend the CV Joint needle point grease job with oil changes.. Otherwise they could have out in sealed u-joints with only a 100,000 mile service or something...

Just guessing. Four months old, one big trip, only 10K on the clock: I will get around to reading the Manual soon... Laughing
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.
Bill

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had trouble finding this grease point?

The give away is a scallop in the casting. You can just make out the scallop in the video. The grease point is just above the scallop. If you still can't see the grease point use an aerosol degreaser to clean up the joint and then you should see the glint. It is hard to get the needle in so I took off the cross over bar below the U joint. Mine took 4 small pumps of the grease cartridge to fill the joint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: