A SAMPLE: THE TYPE OF INNOVATIONS BUSHTRACKER IS FAMOUS FOR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: A SAMPLE: THE TYPE OF INNOVATIONS BUSHTRACKER IS FAMOUS FOR Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have not been adding much to this Category, it is all in the Owners Section. When you Order you are admitted to the Owners Section, and then you have several months to get familiar with all of the latest innovations and goodies. For instance in the Category TIPS ON DESIGNING YOUR NEW BUSHTRACKER there are 52 Topics and 477 responses on just about anything you can think of… And in RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT AND NEW GEAR COMING ON LINE, there are 41 Topics and over 500 responses.. When you order, you have months to refine and modify your order as you learn about the various innovations and options. These things are our Standards now..

Here are a few of the innovations as random samples of what you will see:

We have designed a 4140 steel axle stub, and perfected the attachment, and run it 100,000 kms. It is magic... What does that mean? What is 4140 steel? It is a machine tool steel, like a lathe shaft, tool fabrication steel shafting. What is the practical function for us? It will have a 60 Ton Shear rating.... Per Axle.... Wow, and a First for the Industry (again) Shocked

Now is that necessary? No, if you do not abuse our normal suspension, it is just fine.. But: It is kind of cool and well, it makes our suspension the strongest in the Industry, and that is something... Cool Wink

Modular charging system:

We have made up a Yacht Grade modular system, that is self protecting and easy to trouble shoot.

It will look like this on the Power Board. It will be totally accessible and looks like this 60 amp for the big Lithium Battery system...

On shore power, (Mains plugged in) safety is all too easy.

What you plug in to should have an RCD (Residual Current Device) that operates very closely like the International version the GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter). The van also has these in the main power distribution box.. When there is an imbalance, it trips out like a circuit breaker. That is the "State of the Industry Standard, not in older vans, but should be in all new ones.

AHA! Now here is the problem with an Inverter: It bypasses ALL OF THAT and it could kill you. Because of that, we pioneered this a few years back, a system within the Inverter that also acts like an RCD. It is called an MEN Link device, and while not mandatory: It should be.. This is copied out of the R&D section, you must have missed it. I am giving it to you in the DIY form as your van may be old enough to have missed out, can't remember:

Alright, here is the best I can do, to put this onto the Forum AND NOTE THIS IS FOR A QUALIFIED TECHNICIAN TO DO ONLY. Laughing I used a copy and moved it to MS Paint, to convert to jpg and stretch to this usable size. If it is not good enough, get back to me and I will see what more I can do...

Background: It is becoming more common place for an MEN link to be included in marine electrical installations. These MEN links are required for the operation of a Residual Current Devices (RCD's). The marine electrical code is now emphasising that any on board AC source should have RCD protection.

I HAVE TO strongly emphasise that a Certified Electrician is required before inserting this MEN link into an older Inverter. All of our new ones for the past few year are Ordered with this MEN Link installed, and IMO it should be the Law.. Electrician or Electronic Technician sort for us...

Installation Process:
1. Remove all 14 screws holding the lid in
place remove lid
2. You will notice the AC transfer switch
located on the reverse side of the AC
connection box.
3. Remove the neutral wire from the PCB
terminal pin (this will pull off with
gentle persuasion DO NOT pull using the
wire only, pull off by crimp).
Note the faint red circle around the terminal end location:

4. Using a piggy back terminal crimp, install a
150mm length of earth (Green / Yellow) wire.
Crimp this firmly in place, and then cover with
heat shrink for insulation.

5. Replace the double crimp onto the PCB neutral terminal,
with the original blue Neutral wire positioned towards the
fan of the inverter.

6. Crimp the opposite end of the earth wire with a
5mm ring terminal crimp. Remove the screw
holding the PCB in place next to the AC transfer
switch. Locate the ring terminal through this screw
and refix in place.

7. Your Link should now look like the image below. If all is exact, replace lid of inverter.

Friends, this is the kind of innovation you get as part of our Service, in an effort to return something of value to the greater Bushtracker Community. There is a whole WORLD of help here for you. Everyone copies our style and we do not want to make it any easier for you, so these kind of things are reserved for the Owners Section... Come to the Factory for a Tour, and get a real eye opener. Then you will understand why the others copy our style, but only skin deep... heh he Laughing

Steven Gibbs, Director

Semper Fidelis
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Appreciate the efforts you have gone to in providing this article but I was after some clarity from you please.

I was just wondering with regards to these comments “On shore power, (Mains plugged in) safety is all too easy “ in this section on “A SAMPLE: THE TYPE OF INNOVATIONS BUSHTRACKER IS FAMOUS FOR.

# Has this modification been done as a standard to all Xantrex Inverters installed in new BT’s at BT HQ and rolled out, from when this article was prepared by yourself in Jan 2014?

Why I ask is due to this comment: “That is the “State of the Industry Standard, not in older vans, but should be in all new ones. “

I have the exact same 12v setup as per the picture and have the 300A Lithium Battery installed.

As I have an Aug 2014 delivered 20’ BT, just wanted to know if it has been performed prior to installation in my new BT or is it something that I would need to now do please?

Regards,
Dave
kenmarg

State:: new south wales
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: great innovations Reply with quote

hi steve. with reference,to your MEN link in the inverter. this saved the life of a fitter,at kenlow canvas,in perth. we were at a caravan park in sth perth plugged into 240v, when the fitter arrived and started to fit the tracking for a new annexe needless to say he hit a live wire. this is why with your innovations,steve. bushtracker is the best and safest van in Australia. the help I received from peter Thomson in the next two weeks,put him in my book ""as a friend for life"". kind rgards ken brown
Peter Leahy

State:: SA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Bike Carriers Reply with quote

does anyone have photos of a bike carrier , how they are fitted etc Regards Peter L
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing a search, this subject has been covered previously with photos.
Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

and what Grumpy says above... Probably SEARCH Engine would find this same unit on my last van, but anyway:
I did not answer until now as mine was not here yet. But now it is and my second Bushtracker equipped with it, not sure there is better: Here is the Jet Black bike rack on my own new Bushtracker...

It mounts onto a large stud, on a bracked welded to the a-frames, and comes up over the box from behind. Quite a nice unit, the best we have seen.

The arms fold down when not in use. The tricky bit is the bracket that Southeast Stainless makes, that comes up from behind and below the box and up to the middle top of the box where the Jet Black bike mount is attached. I just stuck my bike up there for a picture for you.. Next time I will do a better job of mounting the bike so it is more level.. Laughing Laughing

Kind regards from the Director of Bushtracker, on the road to lend a hand...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT SELECTION FOR NEW VANS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: