INTRODUCING, THE NEW GEN 4, ADBLUE, DODGE CUMMINS RAM
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Wilson

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt and Lana

Can you please tell me about the warranty? How long, how many kilometres and what it covers and is there any cost to you, to get it from Shogun

Many thanks

Philip

Last edited by Philip Wilson on Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Initial impressions Reply with quote

Hello all,

So after travelling over 5,000km with my new 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie (Gen 4), I thought it time to share some of my initial impressions of ownership.

Comfort: I would have to say that it is a immensely comfortable vehicle to drive, particularly when towing. Heated and ventilated seats, a fantastic driver interface and stereo setup, and a dozen other features that make sitting in the driver seat a great place to be. Additionally it is the first vehicle I have owned that comfortably tows the van most of the time with the cruise control activated. It has enough torque that on most hills it cruises over in 6th gear no worries.

Fuel economy: I can only comment on this based on a 4,000km round trip to Melbourne (highway use) towing a 20 foot display van with full water tanks, cargo bay loaded with at least 150kg of brochures, DVDs, display products etc, and a fully loaded utility tray. My average fuel economy on the trip was exactly 20L per 100km which based on the speed travelled (most of the Newell is 110km/h) was about 10% better than my Land Cruiser at the same speed. Where it is also quite impressive is when empty, I am averaging around 9.5L per 100km on the highway, and 12L per 100km around town which is quite comparable to the Land Cruiser.

Conversion and after sales service: My truck was converted by SCD in Brisbane, and I must say that they have been very good to deal with so far. Nothing is too hard for them and the conversion is certainly of excellent quality. I have only had two minor things that required attention and they were only too happy to help. Also I have a 4 year, 120,000km warranty on the vehicle which is certainly great piece of mind and even comes with accommodation and hire car clauses if the vehicle breaks down more than 100km from home.

To sum up, I can honestly say that so far I have no complaints coming from the Land Cruiser. Obviously the biggest disadvantage is the physical length of the vehicle being about a meter longer than the Land Cruiser, however I have been able to manage this so far without too much detriment. I love the extra storage and the RAM boxes on the side of the tray are very handy for tools etc:

It is also far safer as a tow vehicle with much more power and torque, longer wheelbase, exhaust / engine braking and the added ability to tow up to 4500kg.

I will keep you updated as I gain more experience with the vehicle over the coming months.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker
ski.parents

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:

I don't know about Shogun, but SCD have down rated my 3500 to 4490 kg, no 0-0 alcohol

Hi,
Look I'm going somewhat off-topic here so please delete (or start a new thread ) - I won't be offended.
Interested in one of these trucks, and here in NSW I would need a LR truck licence (4.5 - 8 tonne).
On the subject of alcohol, I strongly support the concept of zero alcohol, but the concern to me would be returning a .01 - .02 the next morning after a couple of reds with dinner Smile
In NSW the criteria for zero alcohol is the weight of the truck - not directly the class of licence
......your bac must be under .02 when you drive a:
• Heavy vehicle with a GVM of more than 13.9 tonnes...

In Qld it seems the weight is different, but again refers to any licence class driving a truck over 4.5t
All licence holders when driving, or in charge of a:
truck (any motor vehicle weighing over 4.5t)
(‘no alcohol’ limit)

So the registered weight of the vehicle, or your licence class is not the relevant criteria, it is the ACTUAL weight of the truck when you get tested ??
Interested in your thoughts,
Again apologies if I've gone too far off topic

Embarassed Embarassed
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, drmatically off Topic, but relative to these trucks soooo, here you go:

We are talking GVM, yes that is the weight fully loaded. We have downrated our trucks so we do not have to comply with that truck licensing. Now that means we can only carry about a ton, because the Dodge weighs about 3480 or so. But since we do not need to carry more, we are happy to run them on a regular car licence and regular alcohol RBT ratings..

As a normal car licensed truck, we are also not subject to weigh bridge pull outs or log books or 0-0 alcohol driving.. No one will require us to sit in the truck while being weighed, or worry much about GCM and other commercial truck enforcement... We are downrated (easy to do when being complianced) and we fly under the radar so to speak. We have to watch how much we load it, but that IS ALL VEHICLES, and can tow 4500 kg..

Not a problem, only advantages, and I would suggest it is the way to go.. Unless of course you need to carry more, but most do not. It is already about double the payload of a Landcruiser. More control, more room, more safety, more leverage over the van, and the same or better fuel economy!!!!

Kind regards Wink Admin, Steven Gibbs
And like Matthew I have the same Warrantee, limited to the total value of the vehicle, something like four years 120,000 kms from memory.
ski.parents

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:

Not a problem, only advantages, and I would suggest it is the way to go..

Thanks.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a an extremely important point, with the pictures...
The Dodge Ram has a lot of extreme advantages, besides safety, more power, more payload, more control over the Bushtracker, same comfort and luxury of a VX to Sahara, AND it gets better fuel economy towing...

Now all of that is fact. The problem is that many have the conception that it is TOO LARGE. I am here to show you that is NOT TRUE.. I love driving mine so much, I take it everywhere in the city. It went to the Gold Coast, in the big mall, and went into underground parking. If you back in, and put your rear wheels against the curb, you fit where Landcruisers and normal station wagons or utes fit.. Yes you are 900 mm longer than a 200 Series, 900mm with a Crew Cab, OK. The Mega Cab is getting a bit too long, but a standard Crew Cab 4 door is only 900 mm longer and that can hang over the curb at the back. The key is to back into your parking spot, that takes a little practice and skill but it is the best way to go.. Here I am, parked with everyone else, at the Mall at the Sunshine Coast Plaza:

Rear wheels against the curb, I fit in like everyone else, only better power, better safety, better comfort, and better fuel economy that just about anything out there...! Wink

Here it is at Suncoast Church, it fills a parking spot and you hang out a little, but not an unacceptable amount..

Yes, I think the 6.7 Cummins is like a Big Rig engine, yes I think it is probably superior to all the others. But the MAIN FEATURE is the access. With a Ford and Chev, you almost have to pull the whole cab off the chassis to work on the motor. Ford Dealer hoists are designed to remove the cab to work even on a simple turbo seal or head gasket. That is alright if you want to take it to an American Dealer.. Laughing The 6.7 litre Cummins on the other hand in the Dodge Ram, is a 6 cylinder and you can access the whole side of the engine:

On the Drivers side, that big tube is the Air Cleaner intake to the turbo, remove that and you have total access...

On the Passenger side, you have the Intercooler air intake and Injection system. Total access...

There is your Turbo, right in front of you. For the Injection system: The radiator overflow is held in by only a couple of bolts, and there right above it to the right hand corner is the entire common rail diesel injection system. It is all right there in for easy access. This is what beats the Duramax (Chev) and Powerstroke (Ford) engines..

Only trying to help you Owners, that is my job. I get nothing NOTHING out of Dodge sales. It is to allow you to have more van, for those of you that want it, more Lifestyle, than a Landcruiser can do safely.. Wink My own next 21' Bushtracker underway (sold my last one to some Owners that could not wait), and I would not consider towing with anything else. From that size up, the difference is night and day and could save your life in a pinch...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Admin

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just one saturday night away till we get one of these trucks.

But until that time comes, we'll continue to lug the groceries up and around to the back streets to where the F Truck is parked...
mattandlana

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Wilson wrote:
Can you please tell me about the warranty? How long, how many kilometres and what it covers and is there any cost to you, to get it from Shogun

Hi Philip, sorry for the delay in replying.

I think the two companies' warranties are almost identical. Both offer a no cost 2 year warranty on their conversions. Shogun's is 50,000km, SCD's does not specify.

Both SCD and Shogun also sell an extra-cost aftermarket warranty from a company called NWC (see this link). I assume NWC's product is the same for all resellers. For what it's worth, we probably won't buy one because:
1. There're expensive. You pay $3,970 for 1y/30k and $5470 for 4y/120k, but at that price there's a cap of $3,000 per claim. It costs an extra $1250 to get uncapped claims (ie. $6720 for the 4y/120k cover).
2. I hear NWS is quick to reject claims for technical non-compliance, e.g. re servicing schedules etc. The whole policy is in fact expressly stated to be discretionary, ie. they don't have to pay even if you come within the rules.
3. There's a very long list of things they don't cover. Examples: instruments, wiring, sensors, switches, design flaws, recalls, audio-visual, satnav, airbags, keyways, panel/paint/body, belts, gaskets, hoses, seals. Anyone thinking of buying one of these policies should read the full PDS, not just the brochure, very carefully!

On other matters, one influential point for us was that Shogun offer a full money-back guarantee, no questions asked, if you don't like the truck when it lands.

Anyway, our 2014 Megacab Laramie 3500 should be setting sail to the Philippines from Long Beach in the next week or so. The waiting is murder!

Cheers
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: NWS Reply with quote

Whatever you do..do not go anywhere near the National Warranty people. They are absolute sharks. I was given a warranty with my Chev. from Performax which happened to be with NWS. Not worth the paper it was written on. I put in several claims with them and that was a a drama every time until I put in a claim for the steering box. Would not cover it because it was " not mechanical "…Cop that. That was the last straw. Performax were just as useless..lost faith and got rid of it. No more american vehicle for me anymore. Lost faith in the ability to easily, insure, have a decent warranty and be assured that I can get it fixed anywhere in Aus. I will stick with a Toyota.

Cheers
cadent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how people call these products a "warrenty".

An "insurance" policy would be a more apt description.

The company doesn't have a manufacturer interest in the vehicle, they are an insurance company taking a risk based bet that you will pay them more in a premium than they will have to pay you in the event of a prescribed "insurance" claim.

Think of "insurance" product you can buy when you buy a flogged Falcodore from Rats Gold-Tooth Used Cars
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I am going to have to set the record straight, as this is a not a complete picture of what is offered. NWC has three plans, A-B- and C.... You pay for what you get:

Right in the Book it is well defined: "This Warranty Contract covers the repair or replacement of failed mechanical and electrical components which would have been covered by the Original Manufacturer's Warranty, as specified in the Manufacturer's Warranty book, unless noted as an Exclusion in this Warranty (see Section 9)...

Section 9 has the normal expected exclusions: Neglect, not serviced, abuse, wear and tear items, the Navigation and Stereo system, brakes belts hoses things that could be expected to be replaced in due course, and so on. I want it for the major issues, engine and transmission and drive line.

Now, you pay for what you get:
Plan A: "Up to $3000"
Plan B: "Up to $7,500"
Plan C: "Up to the Market Value of the Vehicle at the time of the claim"

I chose Plan C, cost was $3200. I paid more than that for Stamp Duty.. I thought it was reasonable at 4 years, 120,000 kms.

The real point is that if you have a large van, the difference in Tow Vehicles could save your Life in a pinch. I mean really, if Toyota had Cummins engine and got better fuel economy, if I had a smaller van, if I did not want the ability to tow 4500 kg with ease, if Toyota had a longer wheelbase for massive control and safety towing big jobs, if if if, then I would have a Toyota. Well, it is horses for courses. I want those capabilities that require more than a Toyota.

It still stands, my Dodge Cummins Ram cost me far less than my Wife's Sahara. The Sahara extended Warranty is $1800, so $1400 cheaper. However the Dodge has the control and safety for a large van, that in the case of a serious altercation of accident avoidance on the highway at 100kph, the difference could save your Life.. Also, if you have a larger Bushtracker the Toyota can not do it Legally anyway, and that could void your Insurance, so again it is horses the courses and the Dodge Cummins Ram is the KING...

Now, if they did not pay on a Claim that was Due: I will see them in Court, that is what the Law is about. I will also attach Court Costs and Legal Fees in the Claim. And you know what? It would NEVER get to Court. They would settle in Arbitration if it was due. We have to deal with Insurance Companies all the time, and of course their Agents, the "Assessors" try and minimise the Insurance Companies costs ALL THE TIME. That is their job. But if it is not just and due you can fight it and win. We do it all the time, and we almost never lose, and it has never gone to Court....

The cost is worth it. The capability of the vehicle is worth it. Not only is Toyota not up to the job with a larger van, not legal, not within safety margins, but I am here to tell you for sure after owning the latest 4 Toyotas in testing: The Dodge Cummins Ram does it all better and safer and better on fuel.

Just the facts, kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Admin.

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
cadent

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reply Steve, though I'd reckon the insurance industry would be more prone to capitulating to Bushtracker than a solo private insured person.

I had a drive 2 weeks ago in a RAM 1500 from SCD

Bloody nice, huge torque for the vehicle size. Awesome fitout from Dodge.

The RAM is approximately 500mm longer than my Landcruiser 105 series with the rear bar/wheel carrier.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to Andrew and Pam,
Saw the 1500, but from memory that is the Jeep V-6 diesel. There are three things you want out of this Dodge: Cummins-Cummins, and Cummins diesel is the King.. As a tow vehicle IMO the real ones start with the 2500.

Note to Maximus:
Unfortunately you had a problem with the Chev steering conversion box, and IMO this should have been an issue for Performax in Gympie. I would have thought They should have come to your rescue. I am not sure the Warranty Company should be the focus.... Just a thought, but I would not clump all American Tow Vehicles in the same category as what you have experienced. If that were a modified steering box it might not be covered under the original equipment Warranty, and maybe it should have been an issue for Performax.

With the Dodges, I would hope for better treatment from the relative Companies... Wink

Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Re your posting 2 back, you can't make it any clearer than that.
Well written and explained. Thumbs up from me...
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Performax Reply with quote

Steve
Performax did not want to know me. Even had the cheek to suggest I should mount a class action against NWC because they had a lot of complaints about NWC?? That was a good one.. They could not see that they actually organised the warranty which they told me covered everything.
I went to consumer affairs who suggested I take Performax to court. Too much trouble for me to do it from WA.
I just lost faith in the vehicle with so many issues I had with it.

Cheers

Last edited by Maximus on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nick&Sue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: RE NWC Warranty Reply with quote

I have a 20011 GMC 2500HD that came with the NWC warranty. The radiator had a rub throuh from an ill fitted plastic fan shroud after 18mths. Looked at my NWC warranty and all it covered was corossion in regards to the radiator! What 18 mth yr old vechicle suffers from a corroded radiator? Not many in imho. Save the warranty money and spend it on repairs when needed. These trucks are dependable except in the DPF emissions systems. Delete the dpf and dont look back!

Happy travelling

Nick Very Happy
cadent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Note to Andrew and Pam,
Saw the 1500, but from memory that is the Jeep V-6 diesel. There are three things you want out of this Dodge: Cummins-Cummins, and Cummins diesel is the King.. As a tow vehicle IMO the real ones start with the 2500.

My mistake, it was the CUMMINS, the 2500. And for sale.
njthommo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I would post photos to show the extent to which Shogun strip out the interior of the Rams during the conversion process.
This is the front

And this is the rear seat area.

Regards Nick

That is pretty standard, with SCD as well. When Shogun moved offshore, some of their Staff who wanted to stay home went with SCD. That looks like the standards protocol. Admin. .
muddy

State:: wa
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: extended warranty Reply with quote

Ive been dealing with a broker looking for an extended warranty on my dodge ram due for delivery in 2 weeks.
He nominated NWC . i expressed my concerns having had them for my previous vehicle a Silverado and experienced the same problems as others.
Here is his response.
THEY DID HAVE A BAD NAME BUT WITH RECENT CHANGES IN THE LAW
THAT HAS ALL CHANGED,ALL WARRANTY COMPANIES ARE GOVERNED BY THE FINANCIAL SERVICES OMBUDSMEN (FOS) AND IF A COMPLAINT IS LODGED WITH FOS THEN IT MUST BE ACTED UPON WITHIN 15 DAYS.
THERE IS ALSO A POTENTIAL TO LOSE THERE CREDIT LICENCE OR FINIANCIAL SERVICES.
AND FOR THAT REASON I NOW ACT AS AN AGENT OF THEIRS
( END OF QUOTE.)
Im still looking around for an alternative and am waiting on detrails from Allianz re there policy.
any recommendations would be appreciated.
Regards
Brian
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can vouch for that. That is what we have heard. Both of the Dodges here at Bushtracker came from SCD and we have gone with the NWS warranty, something like four year 120,000 kms. We understand that Legislation has forced them to lift their game and that Mediation will enforce compliance..

Regards, Admin

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu May 29, 2014 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
bin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: New 2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Reply with quote

Very Happy We ordered our 2014 Dodge Ram on 5th January,2014 from Shogun and its finally arriving in Brisbane on 10th June. Starting to get a little bit excited. Is anyone else expecting one soon, because there was a white dodge ram in the same container as ours.
Cheers Max & Belinda Very Happy
njthommo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Max & Belinda, We have just received our Ram 3500 from Shogun and we are very happy with the vehicle and the conversion so far. We only received it last week.
What we are not so happy with is the extremely inefficient delivery of the vehicle. After allowing several days to prepare the vehicle for delivery we were very disappointed how this was handled. The vehicle was dirty, a dog had been running around in it, on the front and back seats, covered in dog hair, no detailing. Emails were not answered near the time of delivery. Had to chase them.
Bookwork was inefficient, GVM was incorrect on the rego papers, we were told to correct that ourselves when we transfer the registration. This caused 3 days of angst!
Green Slip: This is a bone of contention, Shogun provided the Green Slip through their broker at a cost of $1571.00, was mentioned to Shogun but they dismissed it and said this is what a heavy vehicle CTP costs.
We investigated this and NRMA will provide the same CTP for $374.00 but unfortunately the CTP cannot be changed as it has already been registered. We spent several days trying to correct this but to no avail. Therefore we have lost $1200.00 by allowing Shogun to register the vehicle.
RTA suggested we go to the Dept. of Fair Trading with this as it is three times more than they would expect. So there is more angst!
From the time we ordered the vehicle to arriving was 6 months and 2 weeks.
Regards, Jenny
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I have just ordered a new truck from SCD in Brisbane. Incidentally, I hear they will have a stand at the Brisbane Caravan Show starting Wednesday June 4th, with a couple of trucks you can come to speak with them about.

As you would know by now, I try not to give opinions, rather real time experience with each vehicle and model. I will be better able to give you the real time data on the coil rear end 2014 model, with the latest options and AddBlue SCR system.

Before any of you travel to see my Dodge Cummins Diesel shown in this Thread that is for sale, a Bushtracker Owner is flying up next Friday to see it and he has first choice reserved for him.

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: