200 SERIES LANDCRUISER SUSPENSION UPGRADES
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtrek

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushcruiser wrote:
Lovell's GVM upgrade on my 2014 VX 200 series ...KDSS ....... a 50 mm lean on the right hand side authorized Lovell's installer unable to correct the lean, vehicle taken to local Toyota dealer who was also unable to correct after "bleeding" the system......... going back to the installer next week, running out of options, .........

1..There is a widely distributed KDSS bleeding document that is supposed to fix the lean.
2.. In reality it is only a simple preliminary procedure for small leans. ( Undo the 2 hex nuts under the passengers door 3 turns on level ground bla bla bla). Most suspension people will tell you that this procedure will fix a lean and if not " its just like that" after a lift.

3..A lift changes the geometry of the KDSS arms and they can get a lean of 25mm or more.
4.. To fix this the pressure in the KDSS has to be rebalanced. This is a more complicated procedure that needs a special pressure tool at the dealer ( and only a few dealers have them, otherwise they have to borrow one from Toyota). This will fix the lean but budget $350 for it.

BTW the Toyota suspension height spec is +/-15mm. Almost all vehicles will be about this spec, and usually lower to the right.

This was written by a gentleman by the handle of Boobook (another forum). He obviously knows what he is writing about. Can tell you he has been given this knowledge by someone from the Toyota network who knows how the system is serviced.

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Bushcruiser

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who have replied, after 8 weeks and 3 trips back to the installer and 2 trips to different Toyota dealers I finally have my 200 series sitting level again with no lean, blaming the KDSS for the lean clouded the issue, which was that the installer had amazingly (after removing) not recognized that the factory rear coils in my 2014 VX were left and right hand with the drivers side being approximately 30mm longer, then amazingly (again) installing the new Lovell coils , which are also left and right, into the incorrect sides of the vehicle! to say I have been disappointed with this level of workmanship from a authorised installer is an understatement.
I hope my experience may be of help to anybody considering installing the Lovells GVM upgrade which when done correctly gives the vehicle excellent ride and handling when underload.

Regards
Graeme
Ian from Noosa

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: LC 200 Upgrades - Torque Converter Lock Up Reply with quote

Hi all, just wanted to share with you my experience with having recently fitted a Richards Auto Electrics Torque Converter lock up.
Short answer .... absolutely awesome. Able to tow in 5th with the TC locked up and monitored transmission temps stay as low, or lower than towing in 4th. The vehicle is easier to drive with and without the van. The transmission just seems to feel like it is doing its job a whole lot better at Australian road speeds and conditions.
I was reluctant for a long time to install something that required cutting wires to the ECU. So I dropped into to Richards at Murray Bridge in Sth Aust and met the guys. They are very professional and are not "high pressure sell types".
Conclusion, easier driving, with the ability to tow in 5th with no adverse impact on transmission temps. better fuel economy, about 2-3 litres per hundred kms better and significantly better engine braking when manually operating the TC lock up at low speeds.
I also had the ECU remapped for improved economy, with measurable benefits. This basically involves re programming certain parameters in the ECU code, but without any alteration to the original safety mechanisms. All parameters remain well within engineered tolerances, they are just "tweaked" to suit conditions and purpose of use (ie. towing and outback driving). This is IMO preferable to adding after market chips as there is no "override" of the original ECU.
Anyway, possibly not for everyone, but I'm very satisfied.
andrebb

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 200 series has 2" OME suspension lift with GVM upgrade. It has KDSS system also, and no noticeable lean. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky guys. I've heard that rebalancing the pressure in the KDSS can solve the lean problem. I also saw this link which provides steps on how to solve a KDSS lean-- project200.com.au/kdss-balance-lean/.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: