DODGE CUMMINS DIESEL RAM, NOW COMING THROUGH HSV...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,

I only use mine in very hilly country or in town.. No reason on the flat. Now there is a two stage system there. The first Engine Brake goes on ALL the time when ever you let your foot off the accelerator, that one is called Full Engine Brake and it will really impact your fuel economy.. You cannot coast, it will be on accelerate or engine brake working against you all the time... That will hurt fuel economy.

Push the button again and you get Automatic Engine brake, now that one you can "coast" on and only comes on when you touch the brake... That is the one that you can run on without much of a loss of fuel economy....

If you run on Tow Haul Mode, on the flat, and Engine Brake on Full, you WILL burn a lot of excess fuel as you will be go, pull back, go, pull back, constantly working against yourself. Also it limits your coasting to the set speed limit on "Cruise Control" and not allow you to coast over the set speed, and that will cost you fuel. I would only run Tow Haul Mode in town, or with a very large load up on the limits. It is a bit of a waste on the flat easy going or with a smaller van. It sort of splits the gears and holds on longer on the hills, and is good for the transmission around town as well as on the hills.. But like I said you cannot coast far without it down shifting on the Tow Haul mode on cruise control.... Turn it off and you can coast down a gentle slope and even exceed the speed limit a little if you like with cruise control off and it off... Have a play, I coast a lot...

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Ram Enthusiast.
Graham and Barbara

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, you have confirmed we are using the tow mode correctly. We have noticed that in very hilly terrain it seems to take longer then necessary to disingage from third gear. Is this normal or should we have it looked into? Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience. Graham
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea,
It feels like it splits the gear a bit in town, and it stays in a lower gear pulling a hill, higher revs, less lug on the engine using the gears for higher RPM...

If you clean up the engine, EGR and so on (talk with SCD) and run TC-W3 diesel additive and I also use 1mm per litre of Fuel Doctor, then this is probably a million km engine..!!!

Regards, Rig Junkie truck enthusiast... Cowboy....
lkelectrical

State:: qld
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate currently traveling oz in our ram 2500 with bt in tow 6 months in always engage tow haul and breaking system awesome system no noticeable difference in fuel . Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is probably the best Testimonial for the Dodge Ram, possible...
Besides more safety, more control, engine braking in manual and automatic modes, less driver fatigue, more leverage on the van, and a better ride and luxury level more than a Sahara.... There IS something more.

This is probably the heaviest 2500 HD Dodge Ram, Cummins Diesel, first of all it is a Mega-Cab. This is about 400 mm longer cab, room for a bed in the back. Also a Leer FG canopy. Then it has the heaviest duty steel Bull Bar, a Ranch Hand, made to save truck and driver hitting cattle, and a winch...

Then it has the heaviest duty rear bumper, checker plate top, all steel box section, made to protect it backing into things and terror on "Tail-Gaters".. Laughing

Third it has the heavy duty bed slide out, big Sidchrome toolbox that is loaded, a fridge/freezer in stainless, a 220 litre fuel tank and 3 meter hose to auto shut off, and another larger tool box with 5 power tools and attachments, and 200 amp Lithium, and charger, LVD, and DC to DC... and more.. I am ready to "Homestead" anywhere I stop... Laughing

So what about the Testimonial? Yesterday I went down to south Brisbane, to Hillcrest, 237 kms round trip. Mostly highway, but some city traffic. Now I was carrying a long tonne, more than a Landcruiser can even do, and I got 9.7 litres per hundred.

Mind you, I have a Tuner, and Ram Cold Air intake with a Snorkel, and modified exhaust.. But 9.7 litres/100 k? Carrying a long tonne? Most Landcruisers cannot get that good running empty. Further, to rub salt in the wound..Laughing Mine rides better than my Sahara, my Wife wants to take the Ram on any trips towing or not, and it has luxury the Sahara does not even have... he heh... Wink

It is totally NOT NECESSARY for vans up to 20'-21', but it IS better. It only becomes necessary for larger vans over 21', and yes it is nicer and better..!

Kind regards, Cowboy at Bushtracker

LaurieS

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi has anyone checked how accurate the fuel computer is on the Rams v the fuel pump?
Thinking of a new 18 and there was a report the computer was a bit out.
Any thoughts?

Thanks Laurie
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieS wrote:
Hi has anyone checked how accurate the fuel computer is on the Rams v the fuel pump?
Thinking of a new 18 and there was a report the computer was a bit out.
Any thoughts?

Thanks Laurie

Somebody on this group might be able to assist Laurie.

http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=63067

Cheers,

Bill
Steve n Penny

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Ram Fuel Reply with quote

I did check the computer figures against fill up figure once on my last trip and I think from memory the comp was a little optimistic but was very minor my Amarok is much the same, and i think the 200 cruiser was similar it wasn't of great enough difference to be worried about.
Averaged 18lt/100kl on our last trip 6,000 klm Atherton Tablelands to south east Qld corner and back via Carnarvon Gorge towing a 20ft BT, yeah we went the long way
LaurieS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Ram Reply with quote

Thanks Steve /Penny
One other question how does the Ram like dirt roads ?
Some say they dance around and develop rattles ?
Cheers
Rosiebear

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lkelectrical wrote:
Hi guys has any body out there with a ram , f truck ect been able to get racq roadside assisistance they have told me the gvm of my ram is to big pretty lousy as my policy is with racq and they can't help any info would be great. Cheers Luke

Hi Luke we’re also with RACQ and told the same thing even with Ultimate roadside they say it is too big for a tilt tray, but I know they have some big tilt trays around the country. As for roadside assistance anything with modern can bus electrics they cant do anything roadside anyhow. Except the old disconnect the battery for 5 mins. But anything longer than 30 secs is a waste of time.
0417 007298
3ways

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie our trip computer runs about 1tr/100km optimistic to hand calculated fill/distance. Dirt road handling, adjusting tyre pressure makes big difference.
LaurieS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok
Thanks
Steve n Penny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Ram Will it fit on a tilt tray..!! Reply with quote

Yes it will, trust me I know.
During our recent trip to Brisbane we had just pulled up and unhitched the van when I noticed some wetness around the front right wheel arch and discovered one of the power steering hoses had blown.
Called Ram assist and they had a lit tray to me within 30mins and off to one of the service agents at Kippa Ring.
Had it back by 3 the next day all fixed, cant complain about the service.
I suspect there may be some GVM differences between some of the tilt trays

So to any one out there with an ASV Ram there is actually a "service campaign" regarding a faulty power steering hose, if you haven't had yours checked get it done.

As for RACQ I have actually just joined so will def have to follow that up.
Actually I did state exactly what the vehicle was and didn't appear to be a problem.
Steve n Penny

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram Reply with quote

LaurieS wrote:
Thanks Steve /Penny
Cheers

Hi Laurie,
I have only done about 25 Klm of dirt so far, was a back road around Charters Towers to get around a Truck chemical spill last month was fairly rugged and well used including a sandy creek bed but the Ram did it easily however I have replaced the standard suspension springs and shocks with some top end gear it now has a lot more travel and suppleness so probably not relevant to a standard one
Ricky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram Reply with quote

LaurieS wrote:
Thanks Steve /Penny
Cheers

I’ve done about 8,000km on dirt/gravel roads, including the plenty highway, about half towing the BT. That certainly has not been my experience. It’s quite different to the lanscruiser in the way it rides and handles, i would say the pros and cons are about even. The longer wheel base certainly gives better/easier handling on the corners if the back end is a little loose. The 200 is a softer ride, but then again i’ve always had upgraded suspension on the 200, the RAM is stock standard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: