Simplicity

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sundy & Cyclone

State:: Qld.
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Simplicity Reply with quote

Morning all,
Have been having some "issues" with our suspension, so thought I'd throw it in the ring for a possible solution.
First noticed the Off Side rear wheel leaning out at the bottom, particularly when turning right. Also noticed that the spring seats (pivot blocks), were badly in need of replacement but at the time we were a couple of hundred K's Nth East of Kalgoorlie so the job had to wait but did check what I could.
While replacing the "blocks" I did check the bushes and found nothing to cause the "extreme lean". I didn't know how or why but thought that the "blocks" may have been a contributing factor and when back in civilisation replaced them but didn't actually road test the van until we had to head up to Cairns to answer a "mayday" call from our son.
After straightening up from a turn, the wheel returns almost to the normal position with only a slight but noticeable lean out at the bottom.
Have checked bearings, bushes and all in general but ???????.
New springs, frames/axles were replaced about 9 years ago and a thorough check of all the suspension was carried out back then and I have checked it over after every trip including wheel bearings since that over haul the agents in Warwick.
My theory is that although we drive at sensible speeds along the "back roads", the springs are past their "use by date" but ??????????????.
With the new Pivot Blocks in place there is about 100 mm between the "bump stops" & the chassis and if a straight edge is placed across the bottom of the "turn downs" on the spring ends where they rest in the slippers, the measurement up to the underside of the spring is about 70mm so I'm thinking they need resetting or replacing ??.
Idea

Sundy
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in the wrong section of the Forum... All the maintenance specs and checks are in the Owners Section.

All the distances to tell the condition of the spring packs are measured from the bump stops to the chassis on level ground.

Off hand I would say your spring packs have flattened out. One side is just flattened out more than the other, and this abuses the van as the springs are bottoming out on the bump stops and shocking the van.

Your options to have them re-arced or replaced are all in the Owners Section as well. Go there, and you will have all the information you need to catch up on the maintenance of that suspension, which it sounds like you are behind on. I am locking this Post, as you need to go where all the maintenance information is already.. See if you need any more help once you have gone through that..

Kind regards, Admin
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: