Kayaks on Bushtracker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruiserkids

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Kayaks on Bushtracker Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how we can carry our kayaks on our 19. Ft Bushtracker?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting problem....

Unless they were under 8' long and could be on a rack of some sort front or back??? But if not you would be over width no matter how you could do this, and on the roof is out of the question... Wink

I mean you well but honestly: The only answer IMO is on top of the tow vehicle on a roof rack. It solves the problem of transport to the water too. You cannot always camp right near the water, often you will be a ways away. If you do not have a suitable tow vehicle then that is what I would change....

Kind regards, Admin
Cruiserkids

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Yes, we have a 200 series and have them on there at present, but is an issue in many car parks due to the height.

Many thanks for your prompt response.

Just thought I would ask,

Thank you

Lynne
ski.parents

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my kayaks. My plan for when I start travelling this great country will be to take inflatables. There are some reasonable ones out there. Cheers.
cadent

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel with either a canoe or kayak on the Landcruiser. I guess it means we don't use carparks, a little bit more walking.. Cool ..unless we are based somewhere for a while and I leave them off and stored under the Bushtracker.
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sold our 2.5 person kayak and wish to progress to an inflatable due to ease of storage and handling.

Looked on line for suitable inflatables, can anyone recommend an inflatable?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Grumpy,
When my Kids were little, I had an inflatable....

The problem was not the storage or pumping it up, that was just a minor hassle. The real problem was geographical. Everywhere I wanted to have the inflatable in action was covered in oyster shell, coral, and crocs... Laughing

Just a thought, and why I eventually abandoned mine....
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had three Hobie inflatables, the 1st two developed problems and were replaced under warranty, before it gave us trouble I traded it and bought another 'plastic' Hobie Revolution.

Travel on Roof rack on 200, and don't go under car parks. 😏
07' 19' BushTracker
2015 VX 200, 3800kg GVM Upgrade
Pam & Jack

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Kayaks on Bushtracker Reply with quote

We leave our sea kayaks at home and take our Bestway Hydro-Force Ventura inflatable kayak. If we are camped for a few days and need to drive to the water, we leave it inflated and carry it to and from the water on the roof of the car. Pick up our Bushtracker in April and it will travel in the cargo tunnel. Up until now it has travelled in a seat belt behind the driver. We got a lot of use at lawn Hill this year, not having to hire one, it paid for itself and we were able to stay in the gorge from earlier morning until late afternoon. It will be permanently packed in our new Bushtracker.
Pam & Jack
Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pam and Jack,

Congrats on ordering your BT. We were at Lawn Hill again this year in July for a week with some Mexican friends in their Vista Crossovers.

We were able to borrow an inflatable kayak from friends who we had met there the previous year and spent many hours paddling up the gorge.

This was what made up our mind to go inflatable for locations similar to this as we found the kayak we previously had was just to heavy to load onto the raised LC200.

The front boot is becoming a little crowed though.

Cheers
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my without my Bushtracker hat on, me personally, with my new Bushtracker being finished in the end of February.... I am going to join you in the Grey Nomads sort of mode, and this inflatable kayak thing is of great interest...

I would like to have a boat along, or rent one, and the kayak thing could be good cardio vascular exercise that I need. I mean a bicycle as well is coming but this is another avenue to have the water exploration. I just cannot get past the idea of an inflatable and Crocs.... hmmm... They are getting more populous and brazen all the time. Even a tinnie for me would have to be a high sidewall dory sort. How do you deal with the crocodile presence nearly everywhere you would want to kayak around in the warmer northern half of Australia???

Relative question...

Kind regards, Admin, Bushtracker
Pam & Jack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Kayaks on Bushtracker Reply with quote

Yes the crocs are a real issue. For us we only use the kayak where we know it is safe to swim. Surprisingly there are still a lot a spots that the kayak can be used. We live on a lake so use our sea kayaks a lot, but do not want to be travelling for months with them on top of the vehicle, with all the hassles that creates, height, security etc. The inflatable can be put away safely when not in use. There are different inflatables available, so do your homework. Some have much better valves for inflating/deflating and different or no skids on the underneath, which help with tracking, making it easier to steer.
Happy Kayaking
Pam & Jack
Sundy & Cyclone

State:: Qld.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Crocs "n" Kayacs Reply with quote

How do you deal with the crocodile presence nearly everywhere you would want to kayak around in the warmer northern half of Australia???

Idea VERY VERY CAREFULLY Laughing

Hope you all had a great Xmas,

Now lets plan on a Happy & Safe 2016

Cheers Sundy (Tony) & Cyclone (Judy) Very Happy
kev&chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: kayaks Reply with quote

we would not even think of kayaks where there is a chance of big lizards we even had a special build tinny made with higher sides cheers and happy 2016 http://www.bushtrackerforum.com/forum/userpix/1858_croc_teaser_11_2.jpg
Grumpy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would not even consider using our inflatable kayak in areas where there is the possibility of salties lurking. We are not stupid, even if we had a tinnie we would not venture into some areas where we have seen others do so.

On our recent trip across the top we noted many locals questioning the size of tinnie being used in croc infested areas by tourists.

Also, I would suggest a majority of tinnies are barely used on most trips. They are also not suitable or cannot be used in a lot of areas such as Lawn Hill.

Also the additional weight of tinnie, roof rack, loader and motor would make most LC's over loaded.
Pam & Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Kayaks on bushtracker Reply with quote

We also would not use a tinnie in croc infested waters. The inflatable is only for use where it is safe to swim. It is possible to hire one in lots of places, we chose to buy one, it paid for itself in one trip and is always available. If we come across a nice spot that is suitable, we can get it out and inflated quickly, explore the area, pack it up and be on our way, or stay a few days, which ever suits. What makes it ideal it that it can be packed away when in an area that is not suitable, does not take much space and does not weigh much. Although we spend a lot of time, we do not spend all our time croc country.
Devils On The Prowl

State:: Tas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to highjack this discussion, but come on Guys & Gals.

We all drive on Australia's roads where over 3 thousand people are killed each & every year. Do any of us sell our vehicles or hand our licences in because of the number of deaths?

Now lets put the Crocs & Sharks together, how many are killed each year from these two guys? Some years none. Other years maybe one or two people.

Thousands of people in Australia die from Bee stings each year. Do we wear a Ned Kelly style amour when we go outside each day?

We have taken our 11.5 foot tinnie into Croc waters on a regular basis over the last 13 years.

Just don't tie your boat to anything when fishing, don't leave bloody fish on the bottom of your boat, have a sealed esky to put them.

And the best thing to have with you each time you go out in the boat is to take your common sense .

The sharks & croc's have been given a bad rap from the media.

Get out & enjoy our real wildllife, and the good part is its all free to see...
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Deeks

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that we sometimes worry quite a lot about things that will never happen..however...why increase the odds of being unlucky. Shark and croc deaths are relatively low but this isn't due to those animals not being dangerous but instead of the care people take in their environments and the safety margins in the equipment they use.
I'm also interested in inflatable kayak use for Vic and NSW. I had briefly considered a hard kayak but like others here, could not justify the weight and inconvenience of it on the car roof for very infrequent use.
Have a great and safe New Years everyone.
Michael&Katie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought the snap together kayaks from BCF.
The 1 person kayak snaps apart into 2 pieces, the 2 person kayak snaps apart into 3 pieces.

mattandlana

State:: WA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing it back to the inflatable kayaks, I'm interested in one too for all the same reasons. Are there any other brand recommendations? We've had one for the Bestway HydroForce Venture and one against the Hobie.

Also, can you share some thoughts on how these boats feel in use? My last ride in an inflatable boat was a flat bottomed semi-toy inflatable dinghy. It skidded all over the water, was impossible to steer, carried nil momentum when you stopped rowing, and basically went where the wind, not the oarsman, decided. Are these boats better than that? As an intermittent (rigid) kayaker I sometimes want to glide along looking at the scenery, giving an occasional paddle to maintain momentum. Can these do that?

Thanks for any input.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is in a bit of humour, regarding inflatables: Seems to me, sharks and crocs are getting attracted to the "Big White Mullet" of late.. But what do I know.. Rolling Eyes Laughing

This was in a swimming hole, back side of Fraser Island... Just last year.. Just at slack tide in about 38 C when you really wanted to be in the water. Dunno if I am interested much in that anymore... Laughing

That is the skin off about a 50 lb GT in his mouth.... I was able to turn him with a big reel and get him alongside the boat in about 15 min just for this picture.. And at the next slack tide just on dark, I hooked a bigger one we could not even turn..

Kind regards, from the "Big White Mullet", getting ready to go inland with my new Bushtracker due next month... Laughing
David and Ann

State:: SA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Kayaks on Bushtracker Reply with quote

We have a Sea Eagle FastTrack 385ft which we are pleased with. It tracks quite well due to the inflatable keel and the fin, especially since we acquired a 12 volt electric inflator so that we could fully inflate it.

We are about to add an electric motor using the optional motormount. The motor is a Watersnake ASP T18-SW which is very light. Unfortunately, the batteries are not.

Riverman & His Lady

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our new BT arrives we will be carrying AIRIS inflatable Kayaks. We have used them now for a few years and find them very durable and easy to handle. They also come in a backpack if you need to hike them in. The backpack also has provision to carry the HP pump. We have no affiliation with the company, just like the product.

A man lucky enough to live near a river.........is lucky enough!
mgwatto

State:: nsw
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Keith and Sue,
They look like a great option. We couldn't find the deflation plug on our double sea kayak, so its destined to travel on the roof.
Hope to see you on the road....or on the water.

Riverman & His Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham and Carol,

You never know. We will watch out for your Ranger with the inflatable on the roof being followed by a BT.
Travel safe.

A man lucky enough to live near a river.........is lucky enough!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: