2018 LOW KMS, CLASS SIX AIR SAFE HITCH WITH SHOCKS FOR (SOLD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> PRE-LOVED BUSHTRACKERS FOR SALE BY MEMBERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: 2018 LOW KMS, CLASS SIX AIR SAFE HITCH WITH SHOCKS FOR (SOLD Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
I have tested the Gen-Y hitch across three States and Tasmania for a couple of months, and now I am satisfied with the R&D on the Air Safe. Wink

The Gen-Y hitch is about half the price. My thinking so far is that it takes the shock out of bad roads and ruts on a larger van, but it is a lot firmer ride and is not adjustable. It is very rugged and does the job but is best on the very large size 23' and 24' and larger heavy Bushtrackers as it is a bit rugged at a 700 kg ball weight rating. The Air Safe is better and softer riding, and is a lot better for smaller vans because you can regulate the air pressure and ride with the load. My feeling is the GEN-Y is very rugged, but with up to 700 kg ball weight it is not soft enough for smaller vans, but the Air Safe is softer in the ride and adjustable. It is superior in ride quality of the two for sure...

I have done the R&D on this heavy duty Class 6 Air Safe with shocks, only a few thousand kms, and it is now for sale.. Yes it is softer. Yes it is adjustable for even smaller vans. Yes it is superior in ride but: I am selling it to go back to the Gen-Y hitch. WHY? I have all sorts of other trailers, horse float, trash trailers, and so on. And the Gen-Y hitch has the ability to slide in and out various types of ball hitches, like a 2" or like on my horse float a 3" ball. I even have the occasion to tow with the old VC conical hitch and so on. It is a major effort to change out the hitch for all these other jobs, so I will go for the Gen-Y for the ability to slide out just the extension ball mounts for various hitches... My overloaded 23' Bushtraker is large enough to put the Gen-Y in flexible feel with over 400 kg ball weight and just over 4000 kg with 6 water tanks filled.. So essentially I am going back to the Gen-Y for non-Bushtracker reasons of hitch slide out flexibility..

This Air Safe is for sale. $2000, Class 6 heavy duty Air Safe, seen about six months and only a few thousand kms of travel.. Gentle bounding or heavy shocks, and size of Bushtracker can be varied with more or less air to suit your needs. I cannot fault it, and yes the ride is definitely superior..

I still say these flexible hitches are not necessary for smaller vans. Really it is only necessary for the F-350 or 3500 HD Dodge Ram or Chev Silverado heavier suspensions, and Dual Rear Wheel versions of the same. You don't need this for softer vehicles like Landcruisers or F-250 and 2500 HD types unless you have really beefed up the suspensions for some reason.. Wink

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, the Mad Inventor and Bushtracker Man

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:51 am; edited 3 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this one is sold...

Next what I would like to do: Is try out the new Gen-Y hitch, the smaller 450 kg model on a big 23' Bushtracker. I suspect that on the bounding on rutted out tracks, the hobby horse effect on big jump ups and potholes, I suspect the smaller one will bottom out.

I have elected to get the larger one, the 700 kg ball weight one. On bounding along on bad tracks, if the ball weight were to increase say 75%, it could easily get a momentary slam of 700 kg on the ball. Plus I have a DRW, and the dual rear wheels with air over the springs, is a bit more heavy duty.

We would like to test two 23' Bushtrackers on bad tracks, with the 450 kg Gen-Y and the 700 kg Gen-Y, and film them both for the final answer..

My best guess, and only a guess, but I would take the smaller one up to a 21' or 22', but the larger one with Dual Rear Wheels (DRW) or firmer suspensions like the SRW F-350 and the Chev and Dodge 3500's in 23' - 24' Bushtrackers...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> PRE-LOVED BUSHTRACKERS FOR SALE BY MEMBERS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: