Coil Spring V Inverted Leaf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garlen

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Coil Spring V Inverted Leaf Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,

We are new to this so please be gentle.
We are currently in the process of building our first Bushtracker and are undecided which suspension to go with, we enjoy travelling dirt roads so need to know from people the positives and negatives of both options to ensure we make an informed decision
Cheers
The Hob

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go air bag if I got another chance to build.

That said, I think coil would be softer than leaf springs if soft ride is what you are after.
DnGsTracker

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garlen

Welcome to the BT fraternity.

We have the old air bag setup.

I think the biggest advantage with them is if you camp on uneven ground you can use the air bags to level the van. Also as we get older our knees are starting to play up so when we camp I lower the van down to make the steps easier. I have also used the them to lean the van over a bit to get between leaning trees on a narrow track.

The van is a dream to tow over the corrugations. It just seams to sit there while the cruiser rattles up & down.

The only thing on the negative side is that it takes a bit to get used to towing on the black top as it feels a bit sloppy but after a few k's its all forgotten.

Glen
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the current air bag suspension and after a couple of years and lots of corrugations i’m very happy I have it. Tows perfectly and when looking inside after a day on the corrugations the benefits are obvious. The potential negatives are the weight (depending on your tow vehicle that may be a show stopper, or may be irrelevant) and the potential hassle of air leaks. Happy to discuss my experiences with it further by phone 0450175123.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Garlen,

Look, I have the top of the line Air Suspension, and there is going to be some new upgrades to it released soon in the Owners Section... I love it, however it is for the more experienced hands on sort of person as it does require a little more maintenance and fiddling with....

However, also in the Owners Section, is a brand new Load Sharing Coil suspension, with our 4140 tool steel axles of 60 ton tensile, that is a ride hard to distinguish from the air suspension as it is that smooth. It will be far less maintenance, cheaper, and smooth smooth smooth Load Sharing as well.

My suggestion is you discuss those options in your planning stage, and a lot of it will depend on your abilities as a hands on sort of person. You should be a bit of a tinkerer and enjoy maintaining things if you go the full Air Suspension. If not I suggest the new Load Sharing Coil as it is pretty much care free so to speak. It is far superior to the normal Industry Trailing Arm coil suspension or Trailing Arm Coil suspension that everyone else uses.. It has far more wheel travel and is smoother as it is Load Sharing so it does not deliver the shock to the van twice like the non-load sharing trailing arm system. We can discuss this further when you are here for a visit..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director

And one more thing: WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER 1 !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: