NEW 2020 DODGE RAM, BODY STYLE AND INNOVATIONS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: NEW 2020 DODGE RAM, BODY STYLE AND INNOVATIONS Reply with quote

I asked Eddie at SCD to send me some pictures, but really it is all on Internet..
Google SCD American Vehicles | American Vehicles & Car Conversions

They have moved into larger premises and are on the north side of Brisbane at 40 Kremzow Rd, Brendale. You take the Strathpine exit, and Kremzow is off to the left, sort of the Industrial area by Strathpine... Stay on Kremzow over the RR tracks, and they are a couple of kms up on the right hand side..

Anyway, it is the new improved Dodge Ram, with a bigger centre console big screen and all controls are touch screen user friendly. There are a lot of little innovations, but pretty much is the same good Dodge Ram. Matthew has the first one or near to it.

SCD still do the very best conversions. There is a Topic on this already so I will not elaborate, but they are the best and for very important reasons.

The Nissan Titan is a thing of the past and Nissan in their wisdom have stopped putting the diesel in it. Typical Nissan ex Datsun, and as far as I am concerned good riddance as now SCD can concentrate on the Dodge Ram again with the fabulous 6.7 Cummins. They are trying to get 4 a week out, so it is a great effort. I suggest you study my Topic on why the conversion is better, and go see them. They also have the great Dodge towing mirrors that others did not bother to get the ADR's on, and SCD can get you all the upgraded vehicles by order, like mine the Longhorn, or Matthews Limited, or MegaCabs, and all the rest.

Call and go see Eddie, tell him I sent you from Bushtracker... Wink Exclamation
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

As Steve has mentioned, there is now an upgraded player in the American pickup market, the 2020 Ram series of trucks.

I received my new Ram 2500 Limited just before Christmas and did a 4000km round trip on a family holiday with the van over varied road conditions from major highways to some pretty average B roads, but no dirt as of yet.

Initial impressions are very good. The 6.7L Turbo Diesel Cummins with more horsepower is not so noticable on the flat roads but comes into its own in the hilly country, barely changing down on the hills and grunting over most hills with ease.

Other improvements from the previous model Ram such as the larger screen and more functional interior are nice, but where Ram have really improved is in the areas that needed it the most. They have obviously listened to their customers: the LED headlights are a HUGE improvement, cabin noise levels are significantly less, the surround cameras are a great help when parking and the electric side steps make access into the vehicle much easier.

All up on our 4000km round trip over Christmas, and towing a 4.5T caravan most of the time, our average fuel consumption upon returning home was 20.2L / 100km.

I also went with the airbag rear end which makes loading and hooking up a breeze. Once the vehicle dips down with the load, after a couple of seconds it automatically levels itself back to the standard height. There is also an alternate height which allows you to lower the rear end by around 50mm if needed.

Here are a couple of pics of the truck:

So far so good, I can thoroughy recommend the upgraded Ram. We head to Melbourne in March for a caravan show so will give a further update then.

Cheers for now,

Matt
Bushtracker

Last edited by mattkurvink on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
flyingkiwi

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Ram 2500 Reply with quote

Hi Matt. Are you using inbuilt Ram trailer brake controller or have you fitted another type.
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ram 2500 Reply with quote

flyingkiwi wrote:
Hi Matt. Are you using inbuilt Ram trailer brake controller or have you fitted another type.

Yes, just using the one that comes standard in the truck, it works very well and has memory for different trailer settings (for example if you also towed a trailer or a boat).
Sid

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
The Cummins High Output (HO 1000ft/lbs or 1355 Nm) is not available in the 2500, only available as an option in the 3500 and comes with the Aisin transmission as a package when the HO is selected. The standard Cummins 6.7 is now 850ft/lbs (1152 Nm) and I suspect this is what is in your 2500. Happy to be proven wrong. Cheers, Bill
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ya Bill !

I have a 3500 with DRW, and the Aisin Transmission touted as the worlds best heavy towing set up... However in our practical world this is all moot..

I mean unless you are going to add on Air Brakes like I did on a Chev 3500 and an F-450 years ago towing a big 31’ Gooseneck horse float... in our Bushtracker usage you cannot tell the difference. You would have to hook up a 12-15 ton trailer, like pantech or flatbed loaded with cargo, to tell the difference...πŸ˜πŸ‘ These trucks work just effortlessly with our Bushtracker use. I mean my down rated 3500 is 13,290 kg GCM, could be 6000 kg higher, we just do not work them to those levels where that much power is required😁... I run down the hiway at 100 km/hr at some not much more than a high idle, like 1400 revs or less. Running on torque at low idle is how it gets better fuel economy than my 200 Series..

I have both in my stable. My Wife Leslie has a degenerative genetic bone disorder now on her 3rd surgery in March coming, and She prefers the Dodge Ram. If. You are going BIIG like Matthews 24’ Family van, or my 23’ luxury Bushtracker like in my Blog in the Owners section on Tasmanian travel, you cannot do better for comfort and power and diesel economy. My point is that they are such overkill, it the top end ratings, it does not matter..πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

Kind regards, Steven, Director now semi-retired...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid wrote:
Hi Matt,
The Cummins High Output (HO 1000ft/lbs or 1355 Nm) is not available in the 2500, only available as an option in the 3500 and comes with the Aisin transmission as a package when the HO is selected. The standard Cummins 6.7 is now 850ft/lbs (1152 Nm) and I suspect this is what is in your 2500. Happy to be proven wrong. Cheers, Bill

Hi Bill,

I made some calls and you are correct, they are slightly more HP than the previous model, but not as much as the new 3500. I have adjusted my posting to suit.

Cheers,

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: