Van transfer interstate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outback

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Van transfer interstate Reply with quote

Hi. If you sell your victorian registered van to a WA purchaser that has no ties to Victoria. How do you overcome the problem of them having to present proof of identity documents to a Vicroads office when the van is sold in WA. Has anyone done this before.
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Outback,

Rather than speculate on a forum, I would suggest contacting Vic Roads or the WA transport department directly for current regulations on this matter.

It may have changed recently so any advice given on this forum could be outdated anyway.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker
Outback

Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Van transfer interstate Reply with quote

I have finally got through to VicRoads after three days of being told, we are too busy call back another time!!!
lesinperth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Outback, I note that you reside in Claremont, Perth. I assume that your van remains registered in Vic even though you reside in Perth.
I have personally purchased a Victorian registered camper trailer in WA (2005) and more recently (2009) a Queensland registered Bushtracker in WA.
In both circumstances I contacted all relative State vehicle licencing authorities to understand the transit, transfer and re-registration process. As per your experience I spend many hours on the phone and received poorly understood responses to my specific email questions.
Short story, at some stage either the seller or buyer will have to re-register the Victorian registered van in WA. You can attempt fudge the system by quoting a Victorian address but you may be required to prove this fact. Good luck with this idea!
Also it may be considered illegal to shift the van without temporary permits.

Even though caravans are built and licenced in every state unfortunately each State appears to have different interpretations plus local rules apply. WA licencing is very pedantic.

The following items are ones that I had to comply with when registering Eastern States caravans.
1. Proof of ownership.
2. Paid inspection of caravan for weights and measures by WA licencing. As the caravan is not registered in WA expect to be purchase a temporary transit permit, if you choose to ignore this you may wear a penalty! So check first!
3. Gas compliance plate by certified fitter, you should expect this to on most vans.
4. Clearance lights plus reflectors front, sides and rear.
5. Towing chains stamped with ADR compliance sizing. I have forgotten the relative ADR but I was forced to remove the Bushtracker chains and weld new compliance chains to the drawbar!

Although this all sounds ominous it is all possible. The Licencing centres are actually quite helpful but will be very specific and will reject non standard compliance forcing a second inspection plus another temporary transit permit. They do not accept excuses!

Try contacting the Inspection centres directly, walk into an inspection centre and see the Chief. Good luck.
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep your interstate registered van in WA, without transferring the rego, for a minimum of 12 months, all you have to do to transfer the rego is take the plates (only, not the van) to the registration office and do the transfer.

If the van is younger than 12 months, you need to take the whole thing to the registration office.

Seems arse about, but that's it.
treebs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen

My QLD renewal has just come through for payment, it is coming up to a year that I have had the van.

Do i pay this renewal on due date then take plates into licencing WA to transfer to WA plates or do I take them in on due date and transfer then pay the WA renewal?

cheers

Lee
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treebs wrote:
Hi Stephen

My QLD renewal has just come through for payment, it is coming up to a year that I have had the van.

Do i pay this renewal on due date then take plates into licencing WA to transfer to WA plates or do I take them in before due date? I wont need an inspection done?

cheers

Lee

Give us a ring Lee and I'll go through it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: