FUEL ECONOMY SALES PITCH, PRADO, PAJERO, AND THE LIKE....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: FUEL ECONOMY SALES PITCH, PRADO, PAJERO, AND THE LIKE.... Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
The Green movement, and social pressure, is shifting purchases of tow vehicles to smaller varieties like Prado, Pajero sized vehicles.... OK. For the city I can understand that.

The problem is that when towing, it is the rule that the LARGER the diesel engine is the better the fuel economy. Around town, sure, for a shopping trolley and general transport, a Prado makes sense.... Sort of.. But even then I don't know... My 200 Series for my wife cost about $80,000 and there was a Prado VX there for $85,000 Shocked Rolling Eyes

Anyway, yes, the Prado MIGHT and I say Might, get better economy around town. But when you hook it up to a larger van the smaller engines nosedive in fuel economy as your foot is always in it to the max... Towing, and the larger diesels get better fuel economy as they are not working as hard.. Just the facts as it is.

And there is one more consideration, towing capacity. Almost every other day I get an enquiry from someone wanting a larger van to tow behind the town choice Prado or Pajero or Jackaroo or the like. You would have to start with a smaller van like 16' or 17' at under 2 ton; to allow you to load it up with water and toys and tools and such and still be under the maximum towing capacity of 2500 kg.

It is horses for courses you know... I mean a Pony could tow a big Beer Wagon if you doused its tail in Metho and lit it up... But only for a little while Laughing Just joking, I am obviously a horse Lover... But look, in all fairness this is one of the most common problems Owners come face to face with. The values of city driving, do not necessary equip you for doing big time towing in the Bush. Pick the vehicle accordingly. Orrrr, as I suggest routinely, settle on the design and Lifestyle FIRST and then go get the tow vehicle for the job... OK?

Kind Regards, trying to look out for you.... lone Ranger or Road Ranger Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: