SUSPENSION: INSPECTION OF SPRINGS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips On Buying SECOND HAND BUSHTRACKERS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: SUSPENSION: INSPECTION OF SPRINGS Reply with quote

Some of the older Bushtracker vans, have been around Australia several times. The next most important thing to look at for wear and tear is the Suspension. You need to have a minimum of about 60-70 mm clearance between the rubber bump stop and the chassis. Set the van somewhere level and measure both on one side and take the average of the two for a proper reading.. Any less and the springs need to be re set or replaced. No rubber bump stop? The van has been riding to hard for the same reasons, and bottoming out. If you abuse it too long, the wear and tear hammering along on the corrugation can weaken the axle stubs.. Go too long and you could snap one.. Trust me this could ruin your whole morning, day, week. This is abusing the equipment, and the consequences.

As the spring pack starts to flatten out, and this is a normal occurrence for all leaf springs, you hit a point where they need to have the arc put back in them. The problem with the "cold arc process" of just bending them, is that it only lasts a year or two at best, the better way is to "hot temper" the spring pack.. They have to be busted down into individual leafs, and re-arced, and re-tempered about red hot in an oven, and then cooled at the proper rate to re-temper the steel. Now you can get a price on that, but before you do it, get a price on a new set of springs, because if it is close in price- You are always better off with a new set as they will last longer... We have some people out there with the original set 5-6- 7 years old and more. Others, maybe have traveled heavy and are due at 2 years. It has to do with how they travel, how fast, how rough, and how close to the load carrying capacity of the springs they are loaded up to...

One indicator of how you are going, is to measure the distance between the top of the rubber bump stop on the suspension arm, and the chassis. It starts out at about 90-100 mm, and then goes down when it wears in, fully loaded to about 70-80 mm.... You don't want to go less than about 60mm. Measure the front and back on level ground and take the average of the two on each side.. On the smaller vans, say 18' and less, you don't want to go down hard with weak springs on the ruts, as the continual hammering can weaken the axle stub ends. If this is happening you will have severe wear on the rubber bump stops and see a mark on the chassis. If it is happening a lot, the rubber bump stop will be gone.... A bit harder to do on the larger vans as the axles go up to a higher rating, but the same condition can exist, if you hammer it hard enough and long enough abusing the equipment or overloaded, you can shear off an axle.. And that can ruin your day, Ha!.... Not funny...! And also not likely on our larger vans that have oversized stub axles, but this is possible on smaller vans from about 18' and down so be aware of the penalty on abuse of the equipment in this case.. It could be severe.

Ranger looking after you.... (Trying)
Bluedog

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Suspension Reply with quote

Any chance of a photo to show were to measure from??

regards,
Bernie
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernie,
I am sorry that my write up was not good enough... I am usually accused of being repetitive and redundant... Laughing

Look, please re-read the above Post.. If you do not have the black rubber bump stop in place, that tells you it has been overloaded and beat up.. If you do have the rubber bump stop, simply measure from the top of it to the chassis.

You are looking at simple clearances, from the bump stop vertically to the underside of the chassis. Go have a look, honestly I do not know how much more clear I can be, but will try again if you tell me what it is that you do not understand.. If you cannot FIND the bump stop on top of the suspension a-frame, that tells you something serious..

Let me know how I can help more,
Kind regards from the lone Ranger, on the road...
noosabird

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Steve's advice appreciated Reply with quote

I am new to this web site. Presently own 100 series TD and Ultimate Camper trailer. Looking to purchase 200 series TD, and 'upgrading' to a caravan.

Hence arriving at the BT web pages in mr research faze.

Have thoroughly enjoyed ploughing through the many chapters on the
BT web site, and really appreciate Steve's candid comments and observations. Now feel compelled to write in response to Steve's comment that he has been accused of being "repetitive and redundant" with his comments! Well, , I had to smile :D Frankly Steve ( I have never met you, of course) I thoroughly appreciate your 'rambling' and 'repetitive' style.

Having now spent days reading the various blogs, I have learned a LOT from the way you pass on information. Repetition on relevant bits of information helps to make the point stick in my BT novice mind.

I will be booking a tour of the BT factory this week , if there is time available at your end.

Your great web site certainly helps sell The BT story. Matt was great on the phone too.

Geoff. :D
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Thank You Noosabird....

Look, the truth is I am a bit repetitive on purpose. Some of our Owners may be brilliant Brain Surgeons to Accounting Managers, I mean the top end of professionalism in their field, but they cannot visualise mechanical things. It is not uncommon for people that want to break out of the sheltered city lifestyle, to have a little trouble understanding some Outback Engineering concepts. I find that if I can describe it from a couple of different angles, or a couple of different ways, I do not leave some behind. The switched on Engineering types don't need two ways of explaining it, and that is where I get the criticism. To them I say bear with it, some need a little more help explaining what I am talking about.

I will always take the flack from the few, for the benefit of the many. It also happens to the rare few that get news they do not like. They may be touting "their way" or "their equipment", that may be inadequate and not in the best interests of the majority. Hense the lone Ranger is unpopular with some that do not get the news they wanted to hear. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I can take the flack, for doing the right thing, lone Ranger....

And by the way:
WELCOME TO THE FORUM, POST NUMBER ONE... !

We can send you personal application information, please address your questions to sales@bushtracker.com as we are here to help Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips On Buying SECOND HAND BUSHTRACKERS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: