LANDCRUISERS OK BUT FORDS ARE JUST TOO BIG, TOO BIG OFFROAD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: LANDCRUISERS OK BUT FORDS ARE JUST TOO BIG, TOO BIG OFFROAD? Reply with quote

HOW ABOUT THIS ONE? IT WAS AT GATTON IN QUEENSLAND, AN F-650, NOW THIS IS BIG Laughing

OR THIS VIEW, BLACK AND BAD... CUMMINS 6 SPEED AUTO

NOW THIS COULD BE HARD TO PARK FOR THE MISSUS AROUND TOWN? Rolling Eyes

OR WHAT ABOUT A SHOPPING WAGON???? The top of the tailgate is over my head Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

This was seen at a Horse Competition in Gatton Queensland. Some Guys get all the toys... Sad

And you thought my 2006 F-350 in the first DVD was BIG? THIS IS RIDICULOUS! All things in perspective... Laughing

Now, how about this F-350 Glacier walker in Iceland?

So maybe this 2006 F-350, my first King Ranch Dually in front of my 22' Bushtracker is not so bad after all... Wink

Now my 2006 white King Ranch F-350 Crew Cab infront of a 22' really loaded up Bushtracker with dual air conditioning, 8 water tanks, and more gear than you want to hear about... Doesn't look so big after all. Ha! You could see it in action in the first DVD from Bushtracker

Laughing

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:48 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES in the Topics GENERAL REVIEW OF ALL TOW VEHICLE OPTIONS.....Update 12-2009 and in the Topic LUXURY DIESEL TOW VEHICLES FOR VANS OVER 22', THE OPTIONS: I talk about the major SAFETY advantages of the longer wheelbase vehicles over the Landcruiser sized vehicles, once the van length gets to about 22'... Well there is another level yet, and it probably pays to think about the advantages of a Dually or Dual Rear Wheel one like mine. I have done R&D with four of them over the past ten years and there are some serious surprises to consider.

Like I say, my F-450 is way over the top for most of your needs, but in the Category TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES there is a Topic SWB F-350, Super Duty GVM and Only 80 cm longer than Toyota I want to make sure any of you in the market realize that the new F-350 Super Duty carries almost a ton more than a Silverado 2500 HD, comes not only in Single Rear Wheels, and Short Wheel Base, but also in a cut down CrewCab called a SuperCab with a rear bench seat that is not much bigger than a Toyota 200 Series...

Figure out what you are going to carry, and if you are a Chevy man OK, just know your limitations are that the 2500 HD Crew Cab like I had, can only have light fiberglass canopy and drawers. It is not up to the likes of a large gull wing canopy and boat on top like some want. Some of you Owners want to really load one up with toys, and make a Lifestyle out of this kind of travel, and for that you need to be aware of your maximum GVM. That is why I am directing the interest to the vehicles that can do the job.

I think there is a myth about the larger tow vehicles to some degree. First of all the narrow track myth? The Outback tracks are made by Landcruisers, but they do not run on rails, they wander over a meter of wheel track wider. Yes the Ford sized vehicles are a foot wider or so, and this could make you more prone to brush scratches, but in all fairness I have had a Dually (Big Dual Rear Wheel or DRW) for most of the past 10 years and I do not find it much of a handicap. Yes, you develop a talent for town work, but in all fairness I have driven my DRW vehicles as everyday vehicles for most of the past decade. Yes once in a while I have to back into the parking spot, and even back over the bump stop, and even hang my tail over the sidewalk, but it does work. I even run a dual wheel up on the curb to stay even in parallel parking with other vehicles in the line and in 10 years I have NEVER gotten a parking ticket.

Off the road? Again this is a bit of a myth. We seem to be Patriotic about Landcruisers, but I hate to break the news to you in that the rice grinders are NOT Australian either... And yes, there are a few rare situations that a Cruiser or Patrol sized vehicle could get through the forestry tracks down to the beach easier, and over the narrow dune track where a big Dually would have difficulty. Ah, but there is another situation that I find ten times more common: A big Dually with rear Diff Lock or Limited Slip LSD, and you have a 6x6 digging with double the power and torque. I have run off the road with a van on the back chasing a camel herd with a 20’ Bushtracker on the back, that you would not think of attempting in a Landcruiser. I have driven alongside a Emu running through the desert with a Dually and a 21’ Bushtracker on the back, chasing him for a cool view in full flight until I was afraid for his health and broke it off... I have cruised up over the Metre high soft sand grader dozer edge around a fallen tree blocking the track with a 22’ Bushtracker on the back, just digging with my DRW without pause and hardly breaking traction. In summary I find the big Dually FAR FAR more advantageous to Australia wide travel than not.

Further, there is a HUGE modicum of safety with the DRW, and not just for the obvious tire safety and huge payload. There is even a more practical advantage of a 6x6 for more traction on corners, not breaking loose or fishtailing in mud, wet, gravel, or loose sandy conditions and general control when towing. You have many times the capacity, as good or better fuel economy, 150% more power and torque and brakes, and lastly the huge level of safety in wheelbase leverage and control. To top it all off the larger vehicles have huge power over the Bushtracker due to the longer wheelbase. When a Landcruiser would be stretched to its limits or get completely out of control in a traffic accident avoidance manoeuvre, the longer wheelbase vehicle like the Super Duty Ford would hardly know the van was behind it...

Then you have less Driver Fatigue, the big killer on the long road trips, as the van is not pushing you around... And finally you have nearly unlimited payload capability for all your toys, fuel, extra water, bicycles, or whatever you want to carry. In short, the advantages both on and off the road 10 to 1 exceed the disadvantages, unless you are coming back to the inner city. In our first DVD you can see me idling over sand piles where the 4x4 spits dirt and sand and has a go of it. The 6x6 capability off-road is ASTOUNDING!

Once you get to about a 22' van, the different feel of safety towing is awesome.. And you don't have to have a Dually, but if you get the chance it is traction beyond your imagination, payload beyond your needs, control and safety beyond all over tow vehicles at high speed or slow.. In short, don't pass up a dually because it is a dually, I have only experienced advantages and will have nothing else even with a Bushtracker on the back....

I have gone back to my favorite colour King Ranch, the 2009 F-450 on the left, my 2006 F-350 King Ranch on the right... Astounding vehicles off road, idle through what others spin wheels on... 6x6 traction with a Bushtracker on the back is astounding... Fair Dinkum if you get the chance, don't pass it up because it is a Dually.. Exclamation

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> DISPELLING MYTHS All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: