NEW SUSPENSION ON OFFER AT BUSHTRACKER IN AIR OR COIL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: NEW SUSPENSION ON OFFER AT BUSHTRACKER IN AIR OR COIL Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

Other Companies cannot and do not build to our quality level. Instead, they rely on gimmicks to sell their vans, and tell the poor unsuspecting Public at the Shows that their gear is better. Not only do they say that their gear is better and the reason Bushtracker does not use it, is because we are behind the times or I have heard antiquated or stuck in the 90's Laughing Laughing The same people that flog gear on them try and do it to us all the time. If we do not use something, there is a very good reason why Exclamation

Here is a good example: Our Standard Suspension Load Sharing. The entire Transport Industry runs on Load Sharing.. Why? Because it IS better and the suspension will articulate over an object. The suspension arm when it hits a rut or rock, shifts some of the load onto the other suspension arm. Without this, the independent suspension arms that ARE NOT LOAD SHARING deliver the shock to the van twice. Our suspension is the best, more expensive, but no shocks to maintain and it is just the best and the ONLY one in the Industry that is truly Load Sharing. Further our normal Load Sharing Suspension now has 4140 tool steel 60 ton tensile axles for those that accidently abuse or overload it.

However, if you are one of those that unfortunately has been convinced by what IMO is deceitful sales tactics that the Twin Trailing Arm Suspension is better: We now will offer the Twin Trailing Arm Suspension with long travel Monroe Shocks available Australia wide.. This will be available on new vans Ordered from March 2015..

Is it better than our normal Load Sharing Suspension? No. However, is it far better than the other twin trailing arm non-load sharing suspensions out there? Yes, absolutely: There are a number of serious advantages:

1) As ours has the same 4140 Tool Steel 60 ton tensile axles as our Standard Load Sharing Suspension !

2) Our Twin Trailing Arm has not only toe-in adjustment, but also a Camber adjustment, and the components are much more robust than the others without extra weight.

3) The coil is actually a progressive spring, and it rides soft when the going is easy, and gets down to the stronger support in the rougher going.

4) The weakness in all the twin trailing arm suspensions out there, is that on rebound if it accidently goes airborne in a rut or jump up, is contained by chain or cable. That and we have seen shock mounts fail due to the rebound on full extension, and even seen the shocks themselves torn apart. An important structural feature on ours is that the coil spring itself is retained top and bottom to stop the damage on rebound. It is a vast improvement on what is out there..

Is it better than our Standard Suspension? NO However, it is now an option if you insist. I hate to see People buying inferior vans because they fell for a Sales Pitch gimmick.. OK?

It takes a little different style chassis, so no it is not a retro-fit possibility..
It will be available from all vans Ordered from March.. But again, is it better? No... We will do it, but the whole Transport Industry values Load Sharing and our standard suspension is the best!!

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director, Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: REPORTS ON HOW IT FEELS TOWING IN THE OUTBACK Reply with quote

In our latest testing the Twin Trailing Arm Suspension does feel softer towing.

I mean if you wanted to travel in the rougher country, our Standard Load Sharing Suspension is better. In our testing, Peter has had this new Twin Trailing Arm Suspension for some time now for R&D purposes and has travelled far and wide and reports that on the corrugation He feels that the ride is softer to tow. Matthew has towed it a couple of thousand kms and he to comments that the towing has a softer feel behind the tow vehicle. So, now it is a proven option, we have enough testing to determine that it is robust and a solid suspension. I mean the Manufacturer did extreme and long term testing, but it was given to us being Number One in the Outback, to really put it through its paces. We approve of it, the ride feels softer, and that is a noticeable OK?

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:53 am; edited 3 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here is an important issue: Choice!

I have been asked by Owners ordering new Bushtracker: Which way should I go on this, which one would I suggest?

Let me put the decision back in your court with this question: How far into the wild country do you aspire to go? I mean normal travel, Gibb River, round Australia, that sort of thing then the new suspension is fine. On the other hand: If you have aspirations for the extremes like the Gunbarrel, Len Beadell's tracks, Port Hedland to Alice Springs via Gary's Junction Rd, looking for Lasseter's "Lost Reef" of gold, maybe the rail support track along the Nullarbor and those kinds of potentially rough going tracks? With the more extreme exploration, our Standard suspension has more wheel travel and articulation and is Load Sharing. It is just better for the rougher country with longer wheel travel and load sharing...

So it is really up to you and where you plan to go.. Not those extremes? Not the remotest places gold fossicking or climbing into the rough country like for Barra fishing extremes? Then for general travel I would say the Twin Trailing Arm will feel nicer to you on the road and on the general travel dirt pot holed tracks and corrugation it will feel softer to tow. OK? Again: It is just that for the extreme conditions our Standard suspension has more distance of wheel travel and articulation through ruts and rocks, and is load sharing which is also an important asset for the roughest going..

General travel and towing and the Trailing Arm suspension will feel softer and nicer to tow.. Not aspiring to the roughest places, then that is the difference and probably the basis on how you should handle the decision..

Bushtracker

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have been asked a couple of times of late, to compare our new Twin Trailing Arm suspension (Sticky above at the head of this section) and the Air Bag Suspension in how it tows.... First of all I have to qualify our suspensions, they are the strongest in the Industry without a doubt, you can see them now on display at the Brisbane SuperShow. I have held the R&D results back a little, pending their debut at the Brisbane Show. Our Air Suspension is the only one that is load sharing with big rig style air bags, and is beyond the caravan soft gear out there. And our Twin Trailing arm suspension is about half again stronger than the normal twin trailing arm suspension widely used out there. First of all the coils are imprisoned by the spring mounts, so it does not have to have the rebound cables or chains of the other weaker versions. Secondly it has much stronger upper shock mounts. And Thirdly: The spring itself is a progressive spring that rides softer on the light load and picks up the load with a firmer part of the spring when fully loaded... This IS NOT the common twin trailing arm suspension you see out there, this has those three main features plus 4140 tensile strength tool steel axles, and is adjustable for camber as well as toe in toe out. This is a revolutionary new Twin Trailing Arm suspension OK?

Now, how does it feel? Our experience so far is that the feel towing and the ride is very similar to the Air Bag Suspension...

Unless you had some real need for the Air suspension, (most don't) it has it's own disadvantages. Yes we have the strongest and best one in the whole Industry, but for most it is just a sales gimmick and not necessary besides being expensive. Others that cannot build to our level of quality use sales gimmicks at the Shows, and if we do not offer it as well, some people are preyed upon by the sales gimmicks... Because of this we have developed the real thing, better versions of what some people are fooled into thinking they need, like the Air Suspension...

This twin trailing arm imprisoned coil suspension does not have that degree of expense or maintenance as the Air Suspension.. Air Bag suspensions in the Caravan Industry have been a bit of a gimmick to look unique, but for most Clients, since we are fair dinkum about it: We have to say that the Air Suspension is unnecessary expense and maintenance, and our new Twin Trailing Arm suspension is every bit as good for far less expense and maintenance.
Yes the Trucking Industry uses it, but for different reasons in the 20 ton version that are not applicable to our 3-4 ton application..

Just like in the twin trailing arm suspension, we have developed the strongest versions of both, and have both on offer and on display to satisfy a perceived demand the Public is getting from unscrupulous Sales people at the Shows.. However, we will tell you the truth of the matter and from a functional and cost effective analysis, the twin trailing arm suspension is just as good from a practical sense, far cheaper, and nil maintenance in comparison. Yes it does ride softer that our really serious load sharing Standard Suspension, if fact it seems to ride practically as soft as the Air Suspension but without the extra expense and maintenance. I would say it is cost effective and really better value for money. Peter has just put his take on it and says it really floats down the road without the wallow and maintenance. Both He and Matthew prefer it in their own Bushtracker vans.

That is my take from towing both and digesting the reports of my Staff towing both..

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Initial impressions of the new coil suspension Reply with quote

Initial impressions of the new coil suspension

As I am sure some of you may already know by now, we have a new coil suspension available as an option on new Bushtracker vans. It has been released by the same maker as the current military independent load sharing suspension that has been standard on our vans for the last 20 years.

The brand new (optional) trailing arm coil suspension is very unique and has been a long time in development. It has some serious advantages over what is currently out there:

1) It has a unique patented Variable Rate coil spring, offered by no other coil suspension, providing superior ride, tracking and stability, under both light and heavy loads. This means it can have a heavy load carrying coil, that is lighter on top and absorbs more of the light corrugation vibration in the suspension itself...

2) The springs are held captive in the upper and lower spring mounts... This makes it far superior to the others as the spring retainers are what is prone to failure as the suspension arm hangs down on maximum wheel travel or when going airborne on a large rut or hump up... With them captive, there is no need for top out chains or cables as with other coil suspensions as the spring is captive top and bottom, thus eliminating one of the prime sources of failures in the other suspensions that look like this. Some of the other ones have the shock mounts fail, as after the spring retainer fails the shocks are torn apart or the shock mount fails as they carry all of the "rebound" shock on maximum extension of the arm..

3) It has 60 tonne tensile strength 4140 tool steel axles. STRONG!

4) Wheel alignment (toe in, toe out) plus camber adjustment on each individual arm.

5) Decent size vehicular shock absorbers on an angle very similar to that of the spring so that they work efficiently and in the way that they were designed.

OK, so the big question, how does it tow?

I have now towed it approximately 2,000km primarily in highway use, so how it will go on heavy corrugations is still speculative, however my initial impressions are that it rides very well. I would have to say that it is softer on the bumps than the standard suspension, in fact I would go as far as to say that it is 90-95% as soft as the air bag suspension (in which I have many thousands of kilometres experience). It feels firm and grounded like the standard suspension, yet soft on the bumps.

So keep watching this space. After the caravan show in Brisbane, I will be taking the van on a run into the outback to thoroughly test the suspension on some heavily corrugated roads. I will report back on how it performs and document it in a short video as well.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker

Sal and John

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is, simply, what would a notional cost be for a retro fit (if viable) compared against a standard unit refurbishment with the upgraded axles ?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that you need to do either...... However, here is the Engineering involved and whether it is necessary or not would depend on the condition of the existing....

I mean the upgraded 4140 Tool Steel axles would only be a recommendation if someone bought a Bushtracker they suspected of being abused. If showed signs on inspection of being overloaded, spring packs flattened out, or showed signs of the suspension bottoming out with the bump stops worn or missing? Then yes, not a bad idea. Cost, maybe in the $2500 range and up.. It would depend on how much of the brakes and bearings and backing plates brake's actuating mechanism that needed to be replaced. I mean you would replace anything that showed moderate to severe wear as labour on the full teardown is a major cost.

However, changing over to the new suspension would be triple that cost as it means removing the existing chassis cross members and replacing with two new ones in different locations. You just would not do it, unless you had some special needs for softer riding conditions as I have said. I would be taking a guess at it, as we have only done one for our R&D program, but it could easily be in the $9-10,000 range, with even possibly moving water tanks, full rewire and so on. In summary: I would say it is just not cost effective or feasible or necessary. Yes it rides a little softer, and yes it tows a little softer, but it is not practical to retrofit due to the cost and work involved... I mean, why would you??

People that love their Bushtrackers are doing expensive renovations and upgrades these days. I mean it is quite a trend, upgrades in the $10-25K range, but with this suspension I do not think the end result would be worth it. The Owners that are going with major renovations are changing layouts and upgrading things like fridges and electrical systems: Upgrades that would really be noticeable to their Lifestyle. This suspension would not make that much difference. From new, maybe, not a retro-fit OK?

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs
Sal and John

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve, that's adequate for me for the time being.
TRB66

State:: QUEENSLAND
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The new suspension looks like the Australian off road setup as used on ther Matrix/Aurora vans. I think they make there's in factory but could be wrong.

Regards Terry
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry but you are grossly wrong there. You obviously have not seen it in person, so please allow me to explain the significant differences.

This suspension is far superior, stronger in every way, including the coil spring retention that keeps it from rebounding to disaster if it goes airborne. The others rely on cable and chain retainers and things like that to limit rebound. Then we see the shocks fail and the suspension tear itself up. We have even seen the shock mounts fail, and rebound even tearing apart the shocks themselves after the other methods of limiting rebound broke down.. In our R&D we had as much as 70% failure rates on some. This suspension is by far the best of any out there, and it looks it.

We have not had a failure in any of our testing to date. We have a test running now, and should have some video footage of it in action available in a few weeks.

You should see it in person, it is impressive..
mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further coil suspension feedback

The question was asked:

D&G Travellers wrote:
Welcome back Matt
Eagerly awaiting your report on the twin coil suspension vs standard load sharing suspension in the rougher going!
Cheers Greg Confused

Bushtracker wrote:
I have towed both....

Matthew and I have compared notes and agree totally. For what you say "rougher going" our Standard Load Sharing suspension is superior in everyway... For easy travel, the coil suspension feels softer, but it is softer.

It would be a very good replacement for the Air Suspension, in fact superior. But for what you labelled "rougher going" our Standard Load Sharing suspension is better. More wheel travel, better load distribution, load sharing with less axle loading, it is better in every way...

Kind regards, just telling it like it is... Steven Gibbs, Director...

In relation to the coil suspension, I fully agree with Steve's comments above. After travelling on a variety of terrains with the coil suspension, overall I am very impressed with the way it travels. The closest thing I can equate it to is the softness in ride of the air bag suspension without the wallow and the extra maintenance of air lines, air bags, compressors, holding tanks, controls, gauges, and continual ride height monitoring associated with the air suspension.

The coil suspension is great for the long journeys on corrugated roads where it smoothes out the bumps and allows you to travel to the limit of the comfort level in the tow vehicle rather than the van. Very similar to how we reported with the airbag on the DVD. If anyone were considering the airbag, this new suspension is certainly 90% as smooth for 25% of the cost, so a very viable alternative.

That said, and as Steve has commented, in the really rough slow going through serious off road tracks, the standard suspension still has more travel and being load sharing keeps equal weight distribution on all axles.

There is also one disadvantage to the coil that needs to be considered when making your choice in suspension, it is 60kg heavier than the standard, and $2,000.00 dearer. This is still better than the airbag, which adds 100kg but it needs to be factored in.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker

mattkurvink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more consideration with the coil

Hello again,

When considering the suspension options please also be aware that the coil suspension lifts the van by 75mm compared to the standard.

Normally we suggest that the vans with the standard suspension and a low profile air conditioner are around 3m high. If you option the coil suspension and the same low profile air unit, you will closer to 3.1m overall.

Cheers,

Matt
Bushtracker
Michael&Katie

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow........good point.
We have opted the coil suspension in our build after weighing up the pros and cons for our use, but must admit never thought about any extra height.
It may only be 3 inches, but that could equate to hitting one more branch. Crying or Very sad
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Friends,

Here is the latest, and it is pretty cool: Our Twin Trailing Arm suspension is (finally) now available in Air Suspension. With Air Suspension Design Engineering we have Firestone Air Bags, and our same 4140 Tool Steel axle stubs. There are a few huge advantages over our existing Air Suspension in that it does not wallow as much for one. Secondly and best of all, we have designed in an automatic ride height adjustment valve, that adds or lets out air as required to keep the van ride height maintained on it's own. Very cool !! Cool

It will have a gauge and two sets of controls, automatic and manual so you can do side to side adjustment as well... The one in my van is just inside the door above the water selection valves, so I do not have to go into the van to adjust side to side, I can do it from outside..

The advantages are:

1) Ours has the same 4140 Tool Steel 60 ton tensile axles as our Standard Load Sharing Suspension… !

2) Our Twin Trailing Arm has not only toe-in adjustment, but also a Camber adjustment, and the components are much more robust than the others made out there, without extra weight.

3) This Air Suspension has less wallow than our last one, and better quality control, and auto ride height adjustment, it is just an improvement overall and it is cheaper!!

4) The weakness in all the twin trailing arm suspensions out there, is that on rebound if it accidentally goes airborne in a rut or jump up, is contained by chain or cable. That and we have seen shock mounts fail due to the rebound on full extension, and even seen the shocks themselves torn apart. An important structural feature on ours is that the Air Bag itself is properly retained top and bottom to stop any damage on rebound, and has internal bump stops. It is a vast improvement on what is out there.

5) The auto-ride height adjustment allows you to fill water tanks or empty them, loaded or unloaded, it will maintain the same ride height you have set it for, regardless of how you change the load...

6)) You can lower it down to get into shorter garages openings, and this will be an advantage for some..

I am having this suspension on my own new Bushtracker to be finished next month. Here it is, before detailing it out:
The manual ride height and automatic ride height controls are right inside the front door in the water tank selection locker. This way you can also adjust side to side to level up when you stop...

It has not been detailed out yet, but here it is under my own Bushtracker in process, in a 4 ton version on a larger 21' Bushtracker loaded with a lot of high end gear...

Is it better than our Standard Suspension? NO… However, it is now an option if you insist. I hate to see People buying inferior vans because they fell for a “Sales Pitch” gimmick.. So we have developed this for People that were convinced Air Suspension was the only way to go.. OK? This would be about the strongest in the Industry, with the 4140 Tool Steel 60 Ton Tensile axle stubs and camber as well as "toe in toe out" suspension alignment adjustment.

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I have just been discussing the realm of this Air Suspension within the Bushtracker range this morning with my Staff, and have come to some conclusions on recommendations which I will convey to all of you now...

This new one is just an improvement over our last Air Suspension, not only with automatic ride height adjustment with a metering valve, but it also is a lot more stable, and built to higher quality standards, and has the 4140 Tool Steel Axles. Further, Load Sharing in Air Suspension is really ineffective except at extremely low speeds and I am not sure that it is even necessary for the application in larger sized Bushtrackers and here is why:

The big advantage to the Air Suspension on larger vans, is that if feels nicer to the tow vehicle on the highway and on corrugations. There is less feel of road bumps and surge, as the air suspension absorbs it. Load Sharing is more for the extremes of 4x4 off-road work.. I mean anyone that wants this Air Suspension is probably not the "rock crawling" sort of extreme 4x4, which our Standard Load Sharing suspension is still the best at due to its characteristics and far longer wheel travel. The real application is more for the larger vans, say 20' and up, and the feel is better on the tow vehicle as it sort of glides along on air. The air bags are better at absorbing the corrugation vibration, and the dynamics are that it reduces the "surge" feeling on the tow vehicle, for a smoother ride...

Again, is it necessary? No... Is it better than our Standard Load Sharing? No. However, it is more luxurious in feel when towing. I would say that it is not worth considering on say 20' or 21' size of Bushtracker that has a Landcruiser as the tow vehicle, as it has a weight penalty of about 60 kg. Fully loaded and the Landcruiser sized tow vehicles are a bit limited to carry this extra weight. But for larger tow vehicles, and on Bushtrackers from about 20' and up, it does have a place for the soft feel as it glides down the road. It is a luxury trend, in the feel of it being able to be towed to the limits of the tow vehicle cushioned on air, rather than the limits of the Bushtracker van on rutted out roads and corrugation.

Also, I would recommend that it be limited to Owners that are a bit handy, as in extreme off-road it would be a little more prone to damage or maintenance. I will have a kit on my own, some air line, a few fittings, and a spare air bag. If someone is a bit handy, if someone wants to trend on the soft glide feel of luxury, look a larger Bushtracker at 20' and up is not going rock crawling up fossilized creek beds anyway... Laughing I would say that it is not necessary, but luxurious, and if someone is handy and not worried about the weight then yes it is a consideration. Really, it is a nice feel with a softer ride and less surge feeling, luxury in towing... And ease of side to side leveling when you stop for the night, is another plus.. That is probably it's real place in our range for luxury and soft feel when towing.

[/i]
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one more side benefit....
It comes with the option of air hose coils and tyre fill kit.

Mine plugs into a fitting in the cargo hold:

It is a nice little pump extension kit that will reach both the tow vehicle and the tyres on the Bushtracker

And comes in a neat little kit package..

Kind regards, Director, Bushtracker
Louie100

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very nice Steve, as a heavy vehicle technician I know how good air suspension can be. Question is, what sort and size of air compressor are you intending to use and does it have a receiver tank in the system to allow more capacity for things like pumping up a dead flat tyre for example?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,
Large pump,
And large storage tank....

So much so you are pre-empting my next Post on this about the limited use of air tools on the system... We aren't fooling around, heh he..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

My new van, preliminary pictures released here on the Forum "Director's Own" has this Air Suspension under it.... I must admit, I did not want it. I mean I just thought it was an unnecessary complication and expense, but I was pursueded by my Staff that thought it would be good to get longer range tests and show it at the Shows as a Demonstrator, and further another DVD later in the year... Hmmmm

OK, I have it, reluctantly, and I have to say I am converted. Shocked If you can get over the expense (mind you $2500 cheaper than our last Air Suspension), and if you can take the added weight of about 60 kg, it is a luxury item you will notice. It is not necessary for the ride on the van and contents, but is does feel a lot better in tow vehicle, it is a softer tow even on rough ground off-road. I do not think this should be used as a Sales Gimmick like the cheaper ones out there, I do not think it is necessary for the contents of the van, and further it will be more maintenance and liability than our standard Load Sharing Suspension. However: I am converted, as solely a luxury item on a larger Bushtracker in that it is a noticeable softer towing feel.... I am converted, what I would not have done, I am now happy it has been done and in fact prefer it... It feels better in every measure..

For more comments and questions on this Air Suspension, please refer to the Owner's Section of the Forum, or discuss it with us when on a visit here...

Kind regards from the Director, Bushtracker

Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

I am up in FNQ.... I am on a bit of a Holiday, but showing my Bushtracker up here, one couple in Mackay, two in Townsville, one in Cardwell, and will be going north to Cairns and beyond and then west... Now the point of this Post:

I like trucking, I mean real "Road Fever"... Heh he.. I went 900 kms on the first day (897 kms) and I have to say the experience was GREAT! The Air Suspension floats along behind and you forget it is there now and then. What the result is, IMO, is less Driver fatigue. I got to the far side of Mackay, mind you with proper stops it was 11 hours, and instead of tired I did about a half hour jog then showed the van, then went out to dinner with some Bushtracker Owners in Mackay Marina.

Now that is a big day, especially for an old bloke like me. I would say a big part of it was the Air Suspension. There is really little to no truck wind buffeting in oncoming traffic, and little push me pull you feel, it does ride very soft in comparison.

I am here to say that IMO it is noticeable. It does not wear on you as much. I am really sold on it!!

Kind regards, on the road with the Ranger... Wink
Greynomads

State:: ACT
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Suspension Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

We have ordered a 20ft BT and wanted an airbag suspension as many BT owners are raving about them. We will do tough roads ie: Limnen Bite in the Northern Territory. Would appreciate your advice as to best suspension for us.

Thank you,
Maree
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Maree,

In the Owners Section in the Category TIPS ON DESIGNING YOUR NEW BUSHTRACKER, is the Topic NEW AIR SUSPENSION NOW AVAILABLE, BEST IN THE INDUSTRY.

There I give you all the real time experience in towing with this suspension. Have a read of that and see if it answers your questions. I mean there is a lot to this, and for most People it is not necessary, it just adds extra expense and complication they do not need. Please have a bit of a study of that, and transfer your question there... Here is one relevant Post from there:

Applications in our range? Should you get it or not?

This new one is just an improvement over our last Air Suspension, not only with automatic ride height adjustment with a metering valve, but it also is a lot more stable, and built to higher quality standards, and has the 4140 Tool Steel Axles. Further, Load Sharing in Air Suspension is really ineffective except at extremely low speeds and I am not sure that it is even necessary for the application in larger sized Bushtrackers and here is why:

The big advantage to the Air Suspension on larger vans, is that if feels nicer to the tow vehicle on the highway and on corrugations. There is less feel of road bumps and surge, as the air suspension absorbs it. Load Sharing is more for the extremes of 4x4 off-road work.. I mean anyone that wants this Air Suspension is probably not the "rock crawling" sort of extreme 4x4, which our Standard Load Sharing suspension is still the best at due to its characteristics and far longer wheel travel. The real application is more for the larger vans, say 20' and up, and the feel is better on the tow vehicle as it sort of glides along on air. The air bags are better at absorbing the corrugation vibration, and the dynamics are that it reduces the "surge" feeling on the tow vehicle, for a smoother ride...

Again, is it necessary? No... Is it better than our Standard Load Sharing? No. However, it is more luxurious in feel when towing. I would say that it is not worth considering on say 20' or 21' size of Bushtracker that has a Landcruiser as the tow vehicle, as it has a weight penalty of about 60 kg. Fully loaded and the Landcruiser sized tow vehicles are a bit limited to carry this extra weight. But for larger tow vehicles, and on Bushtrackers from about 20' and up, it does have a place for the soft feel as it glides down the road. It is a luxury trend, in the feel of it being able to be towed to the limits of the tow vehicle cushioned on air, rather than the limits of the Bushtracker van on rutted out roads and corrugation.

Also, I would recommend that it be limited to Owners that are a bit handy, as in extreme off-road it would be a little more prone to damage or maintenance. I will have a kit on my own, some air line, a few fittings, and a spare air bag. If someone is a bit handy, if someone wants to trend on the soft glide feel of luxury, look a larger Bushtracker at 20' and up is not going rock crawling up fossilized creek beds anyway... Laughing I would say that it is not necessary, but luxurious, and if someone is handy and not worried about the weight then yes it is a consideration. Really, it is a nice feel with a softer ride and less surge feeling, luxury in towing... And ease of side to side leveling when you stop for the night, is another plus.. That is probably it's real place in our range for luxury and soft feel when towing.

[/i]

MUD350

State:: SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Hello Maree,

In the Owners Section in the Category TIPS ON DESIGNING YOUR NEW BUSHTRACKER, is the Topic NEW AIR SUSPENSION NOW AVAILABLE, BEST IN THE INDUSTRY.

Steve will you be offering simplicity new load sharing coil suspension ?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mud Slinger,

It may be OK for a military trailer, but it is not attractive to us for Bushtracker. Because of the odd geometry involved, in our view it wrecks the layout and cabinetry and chassis, for little or no functional gain..

So no, we do not plan on using it...

Kind regards, and “In Your Best Interests”.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: