6 volt batteries in lieu of 12 volt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivanedwards

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: 6 volt batteries in lieu of 12 volt Reply with quote

I was advised at a recent caravan show a pair of 6 volt batteries - 225amphr each, connected in parralel and in series in lieu of 12 volt house batteries for the same output, for a new van I am planning. Has anyone used these? If so can you advise if they are worthwhile considering.
camnwen

State:: NT
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
a battery cell is typically just over 2 Volts each. So a 6V battery is just 3 cells, 12 V battery is 6 cells.
Two 6 v batteries in series will give you the same voltage and A/H capacity as a 12 V battery of the same A/h capacity. Manufacturers produce various voltage batteries from 2 to 12 V, usually the lower voltages (2V) are for the higher A/H capacity batteries.
As long as overall size is not a problem, the only issue I could see is you will have more battery to battery connections. If the pricing, size etc is right, it should not make any difference if you use one 12V battery or two 6V batteries.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ivan,

First of all, when you Order, you are admitted to the Owners Section where all of this Coaching is.... You are jumping the gun a little, and you should take advantage of the current technology at the time...

What someone told you at a Show, like much of the rest of what you will hear there, is useless. That is really an antiquated system for on road people living in caravan parks, park to park.. I mean it is really 30 year old technology to connect up 6 volt golf cart style deep cycle batteries in series for your 12 volt. That is waaaay out of date, goes back even 40 years, and it would be good still for a motorhome or a caravan that was going to plug into 240 volt every night in a caravan park... But a great handicap to off-road vans living independently on solar power..

Why? The problem is those batteries will burn too much solar power to excite them enough to begin accepting a charge, called "warming the plates". It means their heavy thick deep cycle plates take too much energy to electrically excite them enough to make them begin to take a charge. They are OK on 240 volt, with a big charger, but not on solar where you want thinner plates packed in AGM or GEL that take on the solar charge a lot easier with less resistance.. But even this AGM and GEL technology is now almost obsolete...

About 90% of new Bushtrackers, are going a further step up yet in technology in 10-20 year Lithium batteries. It saves about 90 kg in weight for a 300 AH Lithium set that is equal to 400 Amp Hour in AGM or GEL batteries. Secondly they do not develop resistance to charge, and they do not develop a memory to a charging range, and best of all they offer almost no resistance to solar input and charge about 30% better and faster...

There are numerous Topics in the Owners Section that will greatly catch you up on this when the time comes and you order. In the mean time, my best advice is to be sceptical about some of the carp you will hear at the Shows.. (Carp, fish) heh he... I spelled it politically correct, but you get the idea.. heh he..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director

Last edited by Bushtracker on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
ivanedwards

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for your informative reply. Looks like Lithiun will be the definitive way to go. Here I was thinking that by going to the shows that I would learn a lot. Hmmm. Lot of carp fishing there, that is for sure.

regards

Ivan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: