Suburban HWS problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushprep

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Suburban HWS problems Reply with quote

Had the suburban HWS stop in my BT. The light wouldn’t turn on and there was no power out of the circuit board and through the light etc. I purchased a new larger circuit board at $410 😢 and now the light comes on and we have power back through the thermostat to the board. Still not working though.

Coast to coast tell me that the gas solenoid(s) must receive power through the brown wire on terminal 4 before the igniter would operate which is sort of contrary to common sense and their one page diagnostic sheet... I would have thought the igniter would have activated first and then the solenoids open to let the gas into the burner. The other way around would let too much gas in before the spark and blow the bum out of the caravan I would have thought.

I have checked the voltage output of the electrode coil on the board and it is down between 6 volts both at the coil terminal on the board (connected) and the same at the terminal of the igniter (connected)

Can anyone verify if the igniter is zapping well before the solenoids open which from memory they do. And also can anyone tell me if 6 volts at the igniter is enough to trigger the electrode into action? Also is there any sort of resistance check or voltage drop test or air gap measurement I can do on the igniter itself to make sure it is still ok?

I have battery voltage (13.2v) at the board and through the thermostat. I also have a solid earth at the controller. I have also checked short to ground through the brown wire to the gas solenoids.

Any help would be appreciated as there seems to be no one with any clue so far...
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushprep, have you tried searching the forum? I found these topics which may be of help?

https://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=32502&highlight=suburban#32502

https://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=8220&highlight=suburban#8220

https://www.bushtrackerforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3643&highlight=suburban#3643
BushBoss

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushprep
This may not help you but is for general information.
If not resolved through this website, a call to the supplier, 'Coast to Coast' may help.
There is a Product Safety Recall on Suburban HWS between April 2018 and September 2019. The models and serial numbers are listed and what the issue is.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/coast-rv-pty-ltd-suburban-recreational-vehicle-water-heaters-model-sw6dea-sw6da-sw4dea-sw4da-sw4deca-sw6deca-and-sw6pa
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushprep,

You need to learn to always give the year of your Bushtracker.

I looked it up, and from 2004 there could be variations in the unit that are different to the newer ones. As with most gear, the age of the equipment will affect the help and advice we can give you. In this case, 15 years old, I would not put much money into it, you have gotten a pretty good run and the tanks do not last forever.

Good luck with it..
nifty07

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are still working to get the recall upgrades approved. I am impressed that they continue to provide updates on progress and not forget about us.

This was emailed to me last week:

Dear Valued Client,

We are writing to you regarding the suspension of certificate AGA4624 affecting Suburban hot water service models SW6PA, SW6DA, SW6DEA, SW4DEA, SW4DECA and SW6DECA.

We write to advise that we are still working diligently with the Australian Authorities to arrive at a resolution to the suspension of certificate AGA4624. We would like to reassure all registered consumers that we have not forgotten about you and are still working to deliver you a result as soon as possible.

We are now closer to a resolution with the situation progressing and we expect to soon be in a position to begin the recall process. The impact of COVID-19 however has affected proceedings. Due to various stakeholders working remotely, things are taking longer and further delays may occur. We will do our best to minimise any potential delays where possible.

After the Easter break, the Gas Technical Regulators Committee (GTRC) met with the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) with the aim of achieving a common resolution for all states and territories. Unfortunately, a common resolution for all states and territories was not achieved. As a result, we still do not have a consensus between the various state and territory regulators. The ACCC has requested the GTRC members put their positions in writing and sumbit them to the ACCC for review. From here, we expect the ACCC to make a decision on the course of the recall and associated remediation. A further update on this will be provided when available.

Consumers that are seeking further information or have enquiries regarding Suburban hot water services are advised to contact our recall hotline on 02 9645 7685 or email recalls@coastrv.com.au. We understand that you have been patient until now. We ask you to extend that patience a little longer as we navigate the situation. We appreciate your continued support during this period as we work towards a resolution.
Kind Regards,

The teams at Suburban and Coast to Coast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: