Emptying water tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Leahy

State:: SA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Emptying water tanks Reply with quote

Gday ,could anyone please advise me on the best way to drain the water tanks ?Is it just a matter of turning the taps on or are there better options ?.Thankyou in advance Peter
Mark Larder

State:: QlD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Leahy

just get under the van, and pull out the plugs from the tanks to drain the water Smile

DO NOT drain them by running the taps....... Mad
Peter Leahy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark.Where is the issue if you do drain the tanks using the pump?What is the difference when using the tank until empty then changing over to the next tank ? Regards Peter
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Emptying water tanks Reply with quote

Peter Leahy wrote:
Gday ,could anyone please advise me on the best way to drain the water tanks ?Is it just a matter of turning the taps on or are there better options ?.Thankyou in advance Peter

I use the pumps, doesn’t take long, they are made for pumping water after all. Normally i just use the tap on the drawbar.

Last edited by Ricky on Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter ,
In answer to your question: “could anyone please advise me on the best way to drain the water tanks” as Mark has already mentioned, the best way is to get under the van and use the correct size socket on a ratchet, to unscrew the end plugs at the bottom of the tank. That way, you get all of your water out.…if your van is level !!

If you choose to use the pumps, depending on how much water you have in each of the tanks and how many tanks need emptying, it will take you “a long time” and just unnecessarily drain battery power and unnecessary use of the pumps. You will also need to have at least one or more taps on inside the van (sink or ensuite) to drain out throught the BT’s rear drain pipes.

Suggest that before you do unscrew the tank plugs, you number them from front to back with a paint pen, so they all go back in the original tank !!

Regards,
Dave
Peter Leahy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.I have the van plugged in to mains power so no issue with battery usage but completely understand about the pump working unnecessarily.The job is now completed Kind regards Peter
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Tip for you Peter,

I sort of plan my water, to arrive home nearly out....

Then yes I am guilty of pumping the rest out....

But then again, if my pumps only last 4 years instead of 10, I know where I can get one cheap.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Rusty62

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe different on new BT but ours has taps on the tank to empty.
And i leave them full when not in use. Town water helps to stop algae growth. I then empty and refill before leaving home.
Roachie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (used) BT came with those cheap plastic press-down taps on the side of each tank to facilitate emptying.

One of them got smashed-off by a rock (I'm guessing) and I lost that water on a trip. No big deal, but I later replaced the plastic taps with brass ball-valves which have the ability to have a normal garden hose fitting added. This gives me added flexibility if/when the need arises.

For example, just yesterday on the way home, I had a faulty JG tap fitting on the supply side of tank 4, which is the one we'd just drained out. When I went to swap over to another tank, I found I couldn't close tank 4's tap properly, so water was spluttering from the taps in the caravan.

As a makeshift measure, I grabbed my filling hose, attached it to the brass ball valve/tap on tank #2 and the other end I attached to the SUCTION inlet on the drawbar.

I was then able to pump water from tank #2 into tank #4 and thus be able to have water to use until we got home today.

Now that"m home, I just replaced the faulty JG tap/valve in the cupboard inside the door, so tank #4 can now be shut-off properly.

As for the original question....I would ask: "why do you want to empty your tanks anyway?" I always fill them up with fresh rainwater from my tanks before storing the van. My theory is that if the tanks are drained before storing, there is increased likelihood of mould etc growing inside the damp tank...but maybe that isn't the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: