Dodge Ram 2500 comments request

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill and Karen Stephenson

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Dodge Ram 2500 comments request Reply with quote

Hi all, just looking to upgrade to a Dodge Ram 2500 and would love to hear from owners of this vehicle all plus and minus comments appreciated
Ricky

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best via a phone call, there are advantages and disadvantages, its not a nissan vs toyota type of comparison, they are very different vehicles. Happy to have a chat if you want, 0450 175123.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about everything you could want to know,
is in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES....

We would have about 75 to 100 that converted to the Dodge Cummins Diesel from Landcruiser. I cannot think of one that converted back. It is not necessary for Bushtrackers in the 19-20' range, but: Is is better? Yes, in all ways, safety and driver fatigue, control, in every way. Is it necessary? No not on the most common size of Bushtracker, but yes it is better. It is safer, more control, more comfort, and better fuel economy towing. There are many Owners commenting in the Category above, in several Topics on the Dodge Ram.

I have a Sahara, and a Dodge Cummins Diesel Ram. My Wife knows nothing about mechanical, and She has a neck structural problem. She wants to take the Dodge Ram whether we are towing or not. Last trip to Airlie Beach in the Sahara, unprompted, She said: "From now on let's take the Ram"....

I am also convinced that with a Code Reader and clearer (about $80), and a customized truck to control some of the EPA clutter, I am also convinced they are more reliable out Bush. Now you have the backing of Chrysler, Cummins, and the Converters (SCD in Brisbane, the best). My Sahara stays home, the town car. Not necessary, but the best for towing, made for the job..

Kind regards, Director, Bushtracker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Steve, appreciate your reply. We will follow up.
3ways

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAM is a very comfortable economical tow vehicle. As per the Tips on Tow Vehicle it is designed to tow safely. Descending hills with exhaust brake working togetther with the gearbox makes huge difference with driver fatigue.
The disadvantage compared to a Landcruiser is the size/turning circle. It is not designed for our carparks but you have to buy groceries when you travel. You look for a garden bed or footpath to hang over in those situations. In a caravan park you might have to take a couple swings reversing onto site.
Once you hitch up and hit the open road you really appreciate the size and capabilities of the RAM.
Happy to discuss further via phone if it helps you
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both....
My wife has the Landcruiser, but I drive both..

My every day vehicle is the Dodge Ram in the city. It is about an 11.9 M turning radius to about a 14.9 M for the correctly converted Dodge 2500 Ram, so you drive them differently. With Ram, I pull forward of a parking spot in the city, and back in. You get used to it, I drive mine all the time.

I would have to say that small inconvenience, or a three point turn now and then, is worth it when you have such a tow capable vehicle. There is a small difference in town, but a massive difference in towing, control and safety, and far less driver fatigue.

If you were to just look at the city side of life, the 1500 Ram is near the same size and same practical turning capability as the Landcruiser, but again more towing capable.

The Landcruiser can do it, up to about a 20' Bushtracker, even 21' with care, but the Dodge Ram just does it easier and better. It is designed for around a 6 ton towing capacity for the 2500 Ram. The biggest issue is the longer wheelbase that gives you so much more control and leverage on what you are towing, that is a huge safety margin, and in a pinch it makes all the difference.

Kind regards, Director, Bushtracker
johnjulieanne

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: dodge ram 2500 Reply with quote

Howdie Bill and Karen

We have a 2014 Ram its Matts from BT loved unit. It is the best easiest to drive vehicle pulling the 22' van we have,

The Ram pulling the Van feels safe and secure and rides behind the van very well. We average on the flats about 16.1 L per 100 and on the mountain ranges 18.6L per 100.

Insurance wise need to shop about on that, they are all different. As the lone ranger says horses for courses and we won't be going back to. If you want to chat just let us know happy to discuss. John and Julie-Anne
RobandFlip

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill and Karen,
We are currently travelling far north Queensland towing our (often loaded up with water) 21ft van with a 2014 Dodge Ram 2500. Now completed about 12000 kms without a problem. Average fuel consumption is 20.6 litres per 100ks. We have travelled some fabulous country off road which we would never have tackled without the Ram. Took the van as far north as Weipa and wanted to take it to the tip, but the archaic ferry crossing the Jardine river could not accommodate the van and the Ram. The compromise was to take the Ram only and so blitzed it to the tip. When the bridge is built (We can live in hope), we will do it again with the van. It was serviced recently in Cairns at Cummins and all filters were replaced. It runs like a dream machine. Still have about 3000 ks to go before we are back home.
cheers,
Robyn and Phillip
3ways

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robyn and Phillp that's strange, we used the ferry to take our RAM 2500 tow 21ft to the tip Cape York last year.
ON THE WAY

State:: NSW
Current Bushtracker owner:: Ordered
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill & Karen
We have traded our 200 series in last January for a RAM 2500, its the best thing we have done and you will not go back to a 200 series.
We have just got back home from a 2 week trip up to Winton then out to Diamantina National Park to Windorah to Hungerford then back to Sydney, the Ram did the job perfectly.
We have clocked up over 16000kms with no problems at all. My wife feels very safe towing our 20ft BT when she drives.
It is just a great tow vehicle.

Regard Wayne & Loretta
P.S. why have a Toyota when you can have RAM
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is probably the best Testimonial for the Dodge Ram, possible...
Besides more safety, more control, engine braking in manual and automatic modes, less driver fatigue, more leverage on the van, and a better ride and luxury level more than a Sahara.... There IS something more.

This is probably the heaviest 2500 HD Dodge Ram, Cummins Diesel, first of all it is a Mega-Cab. This is about 400 mm longer cab, room for a bed in the back. Also a Leer FG canopy. Then it has the heaviest duty steel Bull Bar, a Ranch Hand, made to save truck and driver hitting cattle, and a winch...

Then it has the heaviest duty rear bumper, checker plate top, all steel box section, made to protect it backing into things and terror on "Tail-Gaters".. Laughing

Third it has the heavy duty bed slide out, big Sidchrome toolbox that is loaded, a fridge/freezer in stainless, a 220 litre fuel tank and 3 meter hose to auto shut off, and another larger tool box with 5 power tools and attachments, and 200 amp Lithium, and charger, LVD, and DC to DC... and more.. I am ready to "Homestead" anywhere I stop... Laughing

So what about the Testimonial? Yesterday I went down to south Brisbane, to Hillcrest, 237 kms round trip. Mostly highway, but some city traffic. Now I was carrying a long tonne, more than a Landcruiser can even do, and I got 9.7 litres per hundred.

Mind you, I have a Tuner, and Ram Cold Air intake with a Snorkel, and modified exhaust.. But 9.7 litres/100 k? Carrying a long tonne? Most Landcruisers cannot get that good running empty. Further, to rub salt in the wound..Laughing Mine rides better than my Sahara, my Wife wants to take the Ram on any trips towing or not, and it has luxury the Sahara does not even have... he heh... Wink

It is totally NOT NECESSARY for vans up to 20'-21', but it IS better. It only becomes necessary for larger vans over 21', and yes it is nicer and better..!

Kind regards, Cowboy at Bushtracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Dodge Ram Reply with quote

Apologies everyone for not responding to your reply’s sooner but had a major health issue that put us back for 3 months. We are back to fine tuning our purchase. This is a fantastic way to get feed back in all topics of outback travel. Thank you again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: