Generator Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbojul

State:: Qld
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Generator Box Reply with quote

Hi All..
we are looking at putting a Gennie box on the Van with a Gerry can holder. would love to see some photo's to get ideas of what someone else has done.. Smile
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day Gavin and Julie and welcome to the forum.

I'd be happy to show you pics, but I have found it difficult to do so on this forum at times.

Bushtracker supply a couple of different options for genie boxes.

The one we have on our 2013 model has a door at each end. On the driver's side the door is hinged at the top and has a slide that will accept a 2kva Honda or equivalent. The door on the other side is hinged on the back-side and has provision for 3 gerry cans.

The latest version of the box is a beauty.... It can hold a larger 3kva genie which is designed to be operated whilst still mounted on the slide out drawer. The other side has a slide out which holds the two LPG bottles, making them much easier to remove/replace than trying to reach over the top of the spare tyres.

One thing I would suggest though....I'd be wary of adding a genie box to a "standard" length A frame. Most that I've seen are mounted on the extended (300mm) A frame.

Search back through the forum and you'll find many good pics of the new style of genie box when Steve was developing it last year or so. The other nifty idea that came along at that time, was the new method of holding the spare tyres....incorporating a ramp to make the job easier.

Cheers,

Bill,
Kadina, SA
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello "TurboJul",

We keep two generator boxes in stock. The smaller one is for a 2kva size, and jerry can holders in racks outside.. The larger one we call the 3kva box, is for something like the Honda "Handi" or electric start models, for larger vans. Here are pictures of the smaller 2kva size:

A tray is on a slide out, to hold your 2 kva generator:

Then jerry can holders are on the outside..

We also carry what we call a 3 kva Generator box, for example the Honda "handi" 3 kva. It is larger, and has the same slide out system, for the larger unit.. A rack on top for firewood or? And the stone guard is mounted to it and I use that space for sullage hose storage in the front.

It has the same slide out system, only heavier duty.. Also, the lid has a horizontal position to use the lid for an awning in the rain..

On the other side, is room for two jerry cans, and the diesel heater tank if you like.

These are in stock at Bushtracker, only to be mounted here, we will not ship or sell separately as we want to make sure they are mounted correctly. The larger one almost mandates the use of the V.C. downleg as well.

Send all inquiry on these to sales@bushtracker.com

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
tweedledee and tweedledum

State:: New South Wales
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bushtracker
We have seen the large generator box with gas storage & it looks very impressive

A question we have is if the gas compartment is sealed off from the generator compartment & the gas venting is run to a remote location as per Gas Regs, can we then run a Honda generator on the slide out in the box.

We have only a 1kVA Honda generator & would like to be able to run it undercover in the box when the weather is raining & windy, rather than as we currently do which is to sit it in the mud & water under the van on a stand

We also like the gas slide out as it would make it easy to remove the gas bottles

I have to be careful what I lift & probably 15 to 20 kg is my limit, so this large generator box would be a great help

I would appreciate your advice about running the generator in the box & could extra ventilation be fitted
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of interest I decided on the 4kg bottles in our second BT. So much easier to get in and out. Have not had an issue with being caught out running out of gas.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello TnT,
Love my invention for your longer name, done years ago...

We cannot get into specific details on your designs and layout on this Forum. To do that would hopelessly clog the Forum up... However, some of this is relevant to other people and their ideas, so I will cover a bit of it:

Firstly: Now, no, you cannot run the generator IN the box, due to heat dissipation. I built mine with a slide out tray that was reinforced, and could run it on the tray in the out position, and the lid to fold up with an arm to the horizontal position, so it provided a rain cover.. On the other side was a sealed locker for the gas bottles, that was gas vented down the chassis on the edge of the chassis to get to the required distance.

Second of all this custom built one was large and very expensive, I think mine being custom built was in the $3500 to $4000 range from memory, with racks and stone guard attaching and so on. It had to be BIG

Third and possibly most important: Gas Laws have changed. You will have to have our Gas Man look at the design and make the call to see if this is still possible. It may not be now, because the new Regulators are vented to the outside so that if there is a regulator failure it dumps gas. This would be too close to the running generator.

You will have to do this in process when you are finalizing your layout..

Kind regards, Steven Gibbs, Director
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: