Considering an auxiliary battery in your tow vehicle?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Considering an auxiliary battery in your tow vehicle? Reply with quote

Considering an auxiliary battery in your tow vehicle?

Then read on, here is a possibility you might want to consider. As many of you are aware, Enerdrive are undisputedly the leader in Lithium battery technology in Australia. We use their products in our vans and have had an amazing success rate over the last 5 years.

They now not only offer the full larger systems such as what we install in the Bushtracker vans, but have a smaller fully integrated Lithium battery called ‘ePower B-Tec’ available. They come in three sizes, 100ah, 125ah and 200ah (please note they cannot be doubled up). If you are considering an auxiliary battery in your tow vehicle this could be a lighter, higher capacity and more efficient option than the regular lead acid type batteries. You can read more information on the batteries on Enerdrive’s website: http://www.enerdrive.com.au/lithium-ion-batteries-installation-kits/epower-b-tec-lithium-batteries/ The great thing about the B-Tec batteries is they incorporate all of the protections needed for Lithium into the battery itself. Also because Lithium batteries can run further down in capacity it is almost the equivalent of 2 regular 100ah lead acid type batteries in a far more compact and lighter weight setup.

Here is a photo of the B-Tec 125ah lithium battery, what we are doing with it is incorporating it into the latest Projecta battery box which contains a plethora of connections such as 12V cig, 12V merit, USB, Anderson and even a small 240V inverter. The beauty of the Projecta is that it does NOT contain any charging apparatus which suits us fine as we want to use Enerdrive products to charge the battery.

The 125ah B-Tec fits perfectly into the box and you can see from the photos that the whole setup is very neat and tidy. The only thing the box will not do is give you accurate readings on the integrated display (it does not yet support Lithium) however the battery has a Bluetooth app that shows you all the information you will need including remaining capacity, voltage and more on your smartphone or tablet (here is a screenshot).

Our suggestion is then to install the Enerdrive DC to DC charger into the vehicle near the battery location. You can easily connect this to the Anderson input on the battery box which can be handy of you wish to disconnect it and use the battery away from the car. Essentially when you are driving, the DC to DC charger will be charging the battery at up to 40A which will recover the capacity very quickly. The beauty of the Enerdrive DC to DC charger is that it also incorporates a solar regulator if you wish to attached a fixed or portable solar panel.

You can easily tie the battery down using the incorporated handles on the box and now you are ready to run your fridge in the car without worrying about depleting your starting batteries 😊
mattkurvink
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I had a couple of questions brought up in regards to this setup such as sizes and costs etc. Here is my follow up with more information:

Here are the details (including dimensions) on the Projecta battery box: https://www.projecta.com.au/portable-power-hub-ph125

Here are the details on the DC to DC charger from Enerdrive: http://www.enerdrive.com.au/product/epower-dc-to-dc-battery-charger-40a-plus/

Yes, it is the same DC to DC charger we use in our current Lithium installations in the vans.

In regards to costings, I am not sure on the battery and the DC to DC charger as we haven’t ever retailed one but your closest Enerdrive dealer can be found here: http://www.enerdrive.com.au/where-to-buy-enerdrive-products/ .

On the Projecta battery box, I know that it is available from Tentworld for $399.00 ( https://www.tentworld.com.au/buy-sale/projecta-power-hub-battery-box ). Or most auto stores that stock Projecta products should have access to them.

I hope that helps.
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At close to $2000 I think it is a bit too expensive.

Barrie
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximus wrote:
At close to $2000 I think it is a bit too expensive.

Barrie

Does that include the DC-DC charger and the 240 volt charger? If so, it might be worth a second look.

However, if just for the battery (even the biggest one), I agree that $2,000- is just a wee bit over the top.

I actually have a natural aversion to companies who aren't game to put their prices on their website.... This was the case when i checked their website last night. I had a feeling their gear would be gold-plated!!! hahaha

Roachie
Maximus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 amp battery .Came up on eBay
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair Bill, I don’t think Enerdrive actually retail directly.
Rosiebear

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they definately dont.
0417 007298
datama

State:: WA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the 125Amp battery cost out on EBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ePOWER-B-TEC-125Ah-Lithium-Battery-EPL-125BT-12V/253526589030?hash=item3b075cbe66:g:B74AAOSwQGZavDqS

Also the PROJECTA PH125 POWER-HUB WITH 300W INVERTER ….as this is the cheapest EBay price so far:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA-PH125-POWER-HUB-WITH-300W-INVERTER/292620500577

Regards,
Dave
Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Dave.
Far too expensive for what it offers.
Rosiebear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a Maverick brand 125ah LIpo on ebay for under 1K, $998, and a 200ah Lipo, same brand under 2k, $1769 so the lot under 2K, makes a better deal.
Nope thats for 2 x 100 ah Lipo.

Hmmm reading the ebay add "same as Tesla technology", so might be packed with hundreds of small pen size batteries. you'd have to ask.
0417 007298
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, correct if I'm wrong, but on top of that huge initial outlay for the battery, I'd also have to buy a new 240v charger and/or a new DC-DC charger to keep the thing happy???

Hmmm, sounds a bit like my first wife: HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!! hahahaha

Roachie
Rosiebear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that maverick battery comes with a charger you’d have to check ebay. In all likelihood most people looking at these would have that gear already. Any AGM charger would do, just have to remember to turn it off when it went to float.
0417 007298
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: