Six wheel conversion on Dmax

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grandadbazza

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Six wheel conversion on Dmax Reply with quote

I have done a fair bit of research on the idea of a six wheel conversion on an Isuzu Dmax as a towing vehicle. I have spoken to several owners towing with these vehicles and they all seem to be very happy.
I realise that as they are 6x4 there may be some limitations on where you can go but I believe they would get me anywhere I would feel comfortable towing a van (even a BT)
Does anyone have experience with one of these or a similar conversion on a different dual cab.

Cheers
Bazza-B
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth checking out the recent regulation introduction about Gross Combined Mass (GCM) upgrades. These dictate that a new vehicles GCM may not be increased by a secondary manufacturer above that dictated by the original manufacturer. It seems that the government are trying to stop GCM upgrades which will cause caravan manufacturers serious concerns, not to mention current caravan owners.

Regards ...
Grandadbazza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajay and Fletch.
I have already had a good look at those and current approvals still stand.
New models may become an issue but for existing approvals all is ok.

Cheers
Bazza-B
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your money and hassle,
Get a real truck, more power, more control, better fuel economy, less driver fatigue, get a Dodge Ram.... Or a Nissan Titan... Both with Cummins engines.

Putting more tyres on a rice grinder, does not make it anything but harder to park.. Laughing Laughing

Really, look at the basic Nissan Titan for around $100K, better brakes and everything is just better.

Kind regards, just the truth of the matter.....
Grandadbazza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
Save your money and hassle,
Get a real truck, more power, more control, better fuel economy, less driver fatigue, get a Dodge Ram.... Or a Nissan Titan... Both with Cummins engines.

Putting more tyres on a rice grinder, does not make it anything but harder to park.. Laughing Laughing

Really, look at the basic Nissan Titan for around $100K, better brakes and everything is just better.

Kind regards, just the truth of the matter.....

Sorry but would have to agree to disagree with you on that one.
There are many reasons why I and others don’t want to go down the path of a yank truck. You may disagree and that is fine.

Cheers
Bazza-B
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Bazza,

No worries, but a lot of Australians some how think the rice grinders are Patriotic and I can assure you they are not... I would not advise to spend money loading up that little engine with any more weight and more drag to have six wheels running that makes it worse off road... And heck, the Yank Tanks are all wrong, I mean twice the power, twice the brakes, twice the comfort, a million km engine, twice the control on the van, better fuel economy, it is all WAAY wrong... Laughing Laughing Laughing There are very few people that talk bad about them, that have ever owned one... Wink

You can do it, but we operate fairly and tell you the truth from thousands running out there and six wheelers is a bit of an obsolete myth.. You can do it but: Check and make sure that your GCM is increased somehow, or it is totally unproductive. And when you are all done, I think you will have a different perspective on the little rice grinder motor and power...
Laughing Laughing Laughing

But Kind regards anyway, our job is to try and take care of you and tell you the truth before you over-commit... and Good Luck with it!!!
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often (privately!!) disagree with stuff that Steve says.

However, on this one I must agree. I wouldn't ever consider towing a 3500kg (or thereabouts) with anything less than a "yank tank" as people like to call them.

I guess if you search high and low you might find somebody who has gone back to a lesser tow vehicle after owning a big jigger.....but I'll be damned if I've ever heard of any.

Once you've got one, you'll swear by it.

I went with a Chevy because I got it already decked-out with about $80k worth of accessories (fair dinkum!!!), but I know the Ram and Effys are good rigs too.

In short, don't knock something until you've tried it. I've certainly had PLENTY of Jap 4x4s over the past 30 years and this Chevy would have to be 4x better than any of them.

Over 8 tonnes all up with the BT and it uses around 19l/100. (around 13l/100 when not towing) Cruises at 100k/h doing 1400rpm (or 1600rpm if I'm using Tow/Haul mode). Integrated electric trailer brakes, exhaust brake, torque converter lock-up. I could go on and on....but I won't.

Roachie
Grumpy

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Bill, “ don’t knock it till you try it....” ? And you only got the Chev because of the $80K of Accessories?

Afraid I didn’t have the many extra dollars to spend on one.

Have you towed with a 200 series? How about the 70 odd percent who do? And do it off road too. I don’t think you have done the Gibb, Tanami, alt. Savannah Way, Buchanan, Donahue or Plenty yet in your Yank Tank, when you have we can talk further.

You must still be eating those Yorketown custard tarts!!

Cheers Mate.
Roachie

State:: SA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahahaha.....thought I might get a nibble ol mate!!! hahahaha
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All joking aside,
Bushtracker’s Number One tow vehicle is still the Landcruiser 200 Series.
For vans up to 20’, you don’t need anything more.

Larger Bushtrackers like my heavily optioned up 23’, and that is a different question. For vans in our normal range, most common size up to say that 20’ and there are a variety of other vehicle options. One of our favorites has been the Ford Ranger and there are three of them in our Office Fleet.

For larger vans, the biggest surprise is the performance of the Nissan Titan. Matthew, the Office Manager has been towing his larger 23’ Family van with great success and is quite happy with his. He thinks it drives like a car when in town and not towing.. I think it is quite capable and a pleasure to drive according to him. For a larger Bushtracker say at 21’ and larger, if loaded up, it is certainly another option.

My point was that: By the time you go spending the money making a full custom six wheeler, there are many good options to be considered, 79 Series Workmate and many more...

Kind regards, trying to be of help, Admin
Col & Diane Douglas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pointless discussion I guess because each person has his/her own requirements, and if towing on formed roads and tracks is the only issue the Yank tank is obviously superior. However at some point the BT has to be unhooked and then things change. Offroad (and I mean offroad) the smaller tow vehicle comes into its own. A Landcruiser will go where a Yank tank won't, just as a Suzuki will go where a Landcruiser won't. Size and weight are limiting factors off-road and anyone who suggests otherwise is being disingenuous. No one should be criticised because of what they decide best suits their purposes.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree....

However, our job is to offer advice on all the options to try and make Peoples plans a success. Making a six wheeler out of a small Japanese ute, could radically handicapp their towing ability. Not just that it would be underpowered and handicapped off road as the non drive axle lifts traction off the drive axle, but also affecting their GCM with exta weight.

This is a Forum to try and help people, and make them consider the options, before they do something that could hinder their plans. I am a HVRAS Officer for Queensland Transport, and hear from the thiusands out there and how they are going by Email.. I feel obligated to try and help, especially when I think their plans could be counter-productive to theit goals. 49 put of 50 appreciate the efforts, the few that don’t are narrow minded and only want to here what compliments their idea, and that is not necessarily what is good for them.

Kind regards, and as I always say: “In Your Best Interests”....
Maximus

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one who went back. Chevy to a Toyo. Very happy.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair Maximus,

From my information: You are one of only about 2 in 250. And you were soured from your reports, by a Chev with a lemon rear end, and Performax the Dealer failed to make it right with you... Had you been in the norm with a good truck, you might be singing a different song?
Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about that Steve. Very poorly treated by Performax and the very dodgy warranty they provided. Their conversion was not of high standard either.

Cheers
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 Series Cruisers can be improved these days.

I just had the exhaust replaced and the ECU re-mapped.

More power, more torque, torque converter locks at a lower speed.

It's transformed.

I also had the induction chamber cleaned out.

This was before:

This is after the clean:

The new exhaust allowed me to install an EGT gauge and a boost gauge.

Last edited by Loki of Condor on Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Maximus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen

What is power and torque now.
My latest 200 has more punch than previous one. Due to gearing changes and injector changes or whatever. New van heavier than previous but wouldn’t know it was there and even slightly better ceiling economy .
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximus wrote:
Stephen

What is power and torque now.
My latest 200 has more punch than previous one. Due to gearing changes and injector changes or whatever. New van heavier than previous but wouldn’t know it was there and even slightly better ceiling economy .

I have the figures, Barry, but comparisons are difficult because of the different ways of measuring them.

Driving it is the best comparison and it is a transformation.

I know others who have got huge figures out of the 200s but that involves new injectors and other stuff that would empty my wallet.

Mine's a 2013. After the MY16 update, I believe they are very impressive, but I'm glad mine does not have DPFs, so I'll keep it for a while.
Grumpy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe a 6 wheel Ranger (sixtrax decal)just pulled up beside us in Kilcoy today. Not towing anything and only had a standard 50mm ball on the towbar. Couldn’t track down the owner to get more info on cost etc. as we were at the bakery at the time.
Knightriders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

I also had my 76 Series Landcruiser ECU remapped, intake manifold cleaned and a new NPC clutch installed. This was done by Locked In Garage at Naval Base WA. Would recommend them to anyone that is considering such an upgrade. They certainly know what they are doing.
It's is now a totally different vehicle and makes towing the van on hills a pleasure.
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knightriders wrote:
Hi Stephen,

I also had my 76 Series Landcruiser ECU remapped, intake manifold cleaned and a new NPC clutch installed. This was done by Locked In Garage at Naval Base WA. Would recommend them to anyone that is considering such an upgrade. They certainly know what they are doing.
It's is now a totally different vehicle and makes towing the van on hills a pleasure.

They did the work on my Cruiser.
Joshua
Site Admin

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To our valued clients,

It has been brought to our attention that this thread has caused quite a stir up on another online medium.

Whilst we will not digress into specifics, we wish to advise that the user in question was banned, and their posting removed, in line with our Forum’s terms of use which are agreed to upon joining:
"You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed)"

As our mission statement explains:
"The Bushtracker Owners Forum is dedicated to providing a continual resource of hints, tips, bush fixes and discussion for current and future Bushtracker caravan owners. We trust you enjoy this resource and we welcome your feedback and postings on this site in the best interests of Bushtracker caravan owners."

We will not stand for any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws being posted on any of our social media forums. Any such material will be cheerfully deleted, and the offending user banned.

We would welcome and encourage anyone that truly wants to address any issues or disagreements with Bushtracker or an employee or representative of our company that they do so, not in an open forum, but in a direct and personal manner via telephone or e-mail.

Bushtracker employs over 60 staff on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, and is more than just any one person. Our management team are people too and are more than happy to address any grievances in a constructive and positive manner.

Management, Bushtracker.
Rosiebear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting how many are around, once your attention is drawn to them seen a BT50. An Isuzu, and a Ranger the past 4 days up here in N Qld. The BT50 was down at Carmila towing a tri axle custom made cattle crate to hold 6 beasts, The Isuzu was in Mackay, and the Ranger was in Bowen, both towing big vans. The loaded Cattle crate would easily equate to a fully loaded BT.
0417 007298
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was we tried to help this Person.

With the new stricter regulations on GCM, the towing capacity could be dramatically reduced, in a 3 litre engine under-powered vehicle, and going the lazy axle would also compromise it dramatically off road. The larger tray and lazy axle would take away from the 5950 GCM. It appears they wanted support for a potential poor choice, instead of dealing with the facts and addressing our concerns about GCM and an under-powered tow vehicle going six wheeler against all practical functions.

We try and give fair analysis, from how thousands are going in the Bush, and everything this person was trying to do was against his desires in a Tow Vehicle. We honestly try to help people with their own best interest in mind. We try and help people with constructive alternatives, and we don’t deserve abuse for that.

God Bless all You Good Bushtracker People, we will always try and be there for You: “In Your Best Interests”...

Admin at Bushtracker
robandshirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Six wheel conversion Reply with quote

I have just had my 79 series lancruiser converted to six wheel drive by Bullant Engineering in Boyanup just out of Bunbury wa. Was going to go with a lazy axil but after a lot of research and for an extra $15000 went with six wheel drive. Also had the 200 series auto gear box fitted supplied by Wholesale Automatics. If i had changed to Dodge, F truck or GMC by the time i put a box on the back and all the other bits and pieces the cost would have been the same, i already had the 79 with a lot of things already done to it. But the main reason is I couldn't fit a big Yan truck down my drive. I havent picked it up yet, but the trades working on it say it is fantastic. Will put a post up once i have had it for a while and let people know how it is going. If anyone is going down this track i am happy to talk process and costs. The new legislation has not changed any second stage manufacturing. There is a twelve month cooling off period, then any workshop doing second stage manufacting will have to register as RAWS a Registered Automotive Workshop the S stands for scheme. Different vehicles will come under different sections of the legislation. For vehicles already licensed the workshop will have to set up model reports that cover all changes to that particular vehical. Robandshirl
robandshirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hade the 79 series converted to 6 wheel drive for five and a half months now, did a 10 week trip to the Kennedy Ranges and Mt Augustus and a short trip to Perth. The truck is a different vehicle to what it was befor the conversion, it sit's on the road and doesn't move around at all. The auto is greati i drive in the manual mode and drive according to the transmission temperature and the exaust temperature and lock the torque control up as soon as i get into third gear. I drive in either 4th or 5th depending on the outside temperature and or road conditions. The GVM is now 6 tonne and the GCM 9.5 tonne, will never be over weight again. Off course their is some negative's you need a foot ball field to turn around and have to park right up the back in a shopping centre, but the positives out weigh the negatives. With the auto gearbox if you want to lock the frount diff in since there is no clutch you have to go into nuteral if it wont go in you turn the motor of and try again it can be a pain. I learnt the hard way as on dirt roads before the conversion i always drove in four wheel drive. We where traveling from Wiluna to Meekatharra every so often the where section of bitumim of between 5 and 18 ks they called them passing opportunity's, we got to one of these and I took it out of six wheel drive the light wouldn't go out so i reversed turned the motor of and went through this process several times the transfer stick was right up against the fire wall where it is suppost to be, i thought the light must be faulty, the result was we got wind up and stripped the hard facing of the crown and pinion. Even though everyone agrees it is safer to drive with the frount diff locked in they advise as the gravell roads in WA are in good condition dont use six wheel drive unless the road conditions allow frount wheel slippage as in sand, mud, corrigations, as now with two diff's working at the back end wind up in the frount diff is more likely to occur there is no problem with the back diff's as they have a power divider, and unlike the 200 series the 79 series cant be fitted with a power divider between the transmission and the frount diff as it is a solid axel and the diff is on the opposite side to the 200 hundred series. Now that we have hade it a while and i am used to driving it. I am really happy with the truck it is a very solid tow vechile and feels very safe on the road, the extra breaks and the auto make it extremely good at pulling up and taking off at lights and hill stops. Robandshirl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: