Truck tug and tyres

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sal and John

State:: Victoria
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Truck tug and tyres Reply with quote

Recently bought an FTS 750 ex NSW and in the process of running it through Vic roadworthy inspections. Unexpectedly, the shop has snagged several tyres.

That's not a major concern (although a very recent NSW roadworthy and a pre-purchase inspection by another inspection shop didn't raise any significant concerns) as I was intending to fit a new set in the next couple of months anyway.

The time bracket was to give me an opportunity to research tyres in a more relaxed manner than I can now.

There are a few threads on American utes but nothing I can find for larger truck tyres.

Question -

Could I ask of folks with larger vehicles,

(a) what tyres you have fitted ?

(b) what has been your experience with that brand/model of tyre ?

Obvious targets for the question will be the good man at the top of the totem pole, Imanomad2, and the several with LR trucks.
SMICK

State:: vic
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Tyres Reply with quote

What ever you buy don't buy Cooper Maxx. Had one blowout at 100kph while towing the Bushtracker. Then a couple of months later had to have the front wheels balanced. They weren't out of balance one tyre had broken beads so the wheel was oval. Michael.
Laarby

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend Cooper AT3, one tyre totally out of balance and could not be balanced to be used on the front wheels.
The vibration was so bad that you could not drive it. Fit them to the back again.
Resulting in a write down to less then 40K
Have the truck tyres inspected by 3 different tyre places with the same result.
One mentioned that the tyre needed more then .5 kg and could not do that and balanced this in the ‘static’ mode, still not good
Tyre size 275/65R20E LT
Used Toyo before and probably go back to them or BFG, heavy truck + heave van, 9.5 ton did 60K+ With the Toyo’s
Cheers,
Marinus
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coopers do have great advertising !!

But unfortunately, with respect to the reports we get from you Owners, the success ends there. I would not recommend Coopers to anyone...

Around the fire you will get those that staunchly defend them, note that they are usually on vehicles lighter than 4 ton... No disrespect to them, but this seems to account for the good and bad reports on them..

Myself, never owned them, but I am the HUB of information from the thousands and I only convey the weighted average of the reports. In this case it is a far and away majority of bad reports on the Coopers... In TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES, there is a Topic on 4x4 tyres performance, and you can see more reports and pictures of the Coopers that have failed... Check in there..
Sal and John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyres do you run on your big tug, Cowboy ?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Sal and John,

My situation is a bit outside of the norms....Maybe not much help to most Owners.. But since you asked, I have put some thought and research into it and here is what I am doing.

First of all, I really like the existing Alcoa style alloy rims. I wish they were 20" but for loading they came in 17" and actually for letting tyre pressures down in the Outback the 17" will bag out more. Anyway, I cannot see myself getting rid of the heavy duty Alcoa Mags it came with... So stuck with 17"

Bushtracker

Secondly, this is a 6x6 with heavy duty limited slip rear end, it has massive off-road traction. Check out the diff and cooling fins for heavy duty Limited Slip below.. So while it came with just aggressive hiway tyres, called All-Terrain, they are not much more than standard hiway tyres. They are new, only 6000 kms, I can't see throwing them away...

But I bought a second spare from Santa Ana Wheel in California and had it freighted pretty cheaply. This is a heavy duty steel wheel, cost all up maybe $200, The best tyre I could find in the huge load rating required, is this NITTO TERRA GRAPPLER.. It is still called All Terrain, but is very much on the aggressive side of AT, almost a Mud Terrain. Supposedly reasonably quiet on the hiway. When my stock tyres get worn, or maybe before my next big Outback trip, I will change over to these NITTO ATs... Fairly aggressive tread, and the best I could find, and I like Nitto as I have abused them on the dragstrip with huge horsepower, good Company and tyres...

With six wheels driving, unlimited power and gears, I am not going to need a more aggressive tread than this 99.9% of my time..

Anyways, Owners: You have to do the research based on your vehicle and speed and loading requirements. My choice has little to do with most others, limited by loading requirements and dual rear wheels, this is the best I could find. It is horses for courses, do your research.

Kind regards, stg, Director of Bushtracker

Sal and John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

You had/have a larger truck (in some of the forum post pictures) .. I was thinking more of that vehicle.

My rationale is that my use is going to be somewhere in the midst of what forum folk with larger outfits might be doing. I can't, realistically, call on my own experience as I have very little .. so I am reliant of what other folks might observer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: