Rivian SUV's / Utes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Rivian SUV's / Utes Reply with quote

Hello folks, I have come across a report of a new vehicle line of electric SUV's / Utes or trucks by a manufacturer / company by name of Rivian.

It all seems a great line to follow with 400 + miles and tow capacity of 3500Kg for the SUV and 4500Kg for the ute / truck. From what I have gleaned these vehicles have an electric motor for each wheel (true 4WD). This of course has great advantages with engine braking and power / torque to wheels with a huge tare weight saving.

I have also come across one (and one only) report a year or so back of a vehicle of similar with one motor per wheel, but electricity provided by battery recharged on the go via a small turbo jet driven generator / alternator which provided the recharge of batteries on the go and resulted in a fuel economy of 1 litre per 100k to provide the electrical power to the motors. The turbo jet is about the size of those used on hobby radio controlled model planes.

Has any one else seen similar?

I would love to see the developments here progress very quickly as it seems to be an answer to folks like me who wonder what will happen for towing rigs such as our BT with all the electrical stuff coming out and requiring recharge stations in out back areas.

Love to see what discussion develops along these lines.
Terrain to Travel
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my cuppa I can assure you: I have three things to say...

Diesel, Diesel, and to be independent Diesel.... I think electric cars are totally incompatible for the Outback, not even sure with the battery replacement and the charging requirements, if they are even environmentally better.

Is is a current fad. But only makes sense for the cities. And when you factor in battery replacement, and the Power Grid upgrades necessary and power line upgrades necessary, and the Power Plant upgrades when one in 10 to 1 in 20 get electric cars in the city, I think it creates a bigger carbon footprint than it removes. In only makes sense in the city for air quality, transferring the carbon loading out to the Power Plant instead of the city.

I am sorry but IMO it makes no sense at all in the Outback.. To be independent you would need a large generator running all night.. No thanks.

Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: