Van length/tare behind a 200 series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gamba1973

State:: WA
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Van length/tare behind a 200 series Reply with quote

Hi there. Im intersted in opinions on a 21 foot van behind a 200 series with standard suspention, ie, no gvm upgrade.
The tare is up there at 2840.
Ive also seen a 20 footer with a tare of 2820.
There both in the prefered layout, so what are your thoughts on weight and length?
All feedback well appreciated.
Regards.
Gareth.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gamba,

In case you have not figured it out, I Steven Gibbs, the Director and Mad Inventor at Bushtracker am the Hub of information from all over Australia.
I have towed more vans with more of a variety of vehicles than anyone. I do the R&D on all the vehicles and tow with all of them. I am also the Hub for how thousands are running in the Outback. Anyone can give you an opinion, but I have done the empirical testing in person, even with the 200 Series I am on my fourth one testing how there are differences in suspension like the KDSS and reliability testing in the GXL, VX, and SAHARA. BTW, another Topic, but with my testing on two SAHARAs, while I thought all the extra black boxes could be a liability, they have proven remarkably reliable. My current SAHARA has been taken over by my Wife and next year in March is 5 years on the 2014. (All you have to do with them is make sure they get clean fuel, or you are in for an expensive disaster. NO water in the fuel.)Exclamation

Now, you have my credentials, this is the Bushtracker Gospel so to speak and back on Topic: With either 20' or 21', unless your Landcruiser has the Lovells Towing Capacity increase, you have to watch your weight. You can overload either. If you were to be ordering new, we would steer you towards the Lithium batteries, performance is a huge difference, but also a weight savings of some 80-90 kg which is a whole tank of water...

In summary, 20' would be our most common single size range, and the 200 Series our most common tow vehicle. You still have to watch your weight. On the highway, if you are running too heavy, the biggest trick is to just run with two tanks full, maybe two non-potable and half a drinking water tank. Fill up before you head into the bush, at the last outpost of good water. In either case: Weight it loaded up like you want to travel, and THAT will tell you where you are at. You can do the same in 21', it is just a bit harder as the van will average about 150 kg more, with more storage and larger van.

If you have the Lovell's Manufacturers Towing Capacity increase, throw all the above out. Your vehicle will not know the difference in towing and you will not know the difference in driving. If you have a stock vehicle (forget the GVM increase that is common, it has no bearing on Legal Towing Capacity) if your Landcruiser is stock you are going to have to watch your weight, more so in 21'.....

When you get your Bushtracker, Register for the Owners Section, and do a lot of reading there. There is a whole WORLD of help for you there... One last thing, you need to beef up the stock suspension in a 200 Series with either, the stock suspension is woefully mushy. You can read up on the variety of suspension increases in TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES.. Personally I have done the 400 kg rear and 200 kg front for winch and bullbar, in new springs and shocks, progressive springs with a 50 mm lift, from ARB before the Lovells became so popular. It rode firm around town, great when loaded up. My Office Manager Matthew, claims the Lovells suspension and GVM increase rode better in his opinion.

Anyway, 20' or 21' is manageable but watch your weight. At 21' you are flirting with the upper end of the capacity of the 200 Series. Without the Lovells towing capacity increase, we would not build anything larger than 21' to put behind a 200 Series. Others will, because they only care about your pocket book. We won't because our ethic is "In Your Best Interests"...

So, in summary, watch your weight, you can do it with either, just a bit harder in 21'. If you are lucky enough to have the Lovells kit upgrade, go for he one you like the layout and gear list best...

Kind regards, Stg, at Bushtracker
Gamba1973

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steven, thanks for the reply.
Yes i am aware of your status as the mad inventor/scientist at Bushtracker and always appreciate your indepth response.
With regards my post perhaps i should have wrote 'experience' rather than 'opinions'?
With regards the weight theres only 20 kg in the tare weights of the 2 vans in question. I fully understand the way you can use the water tanks to keep under weight.
Interesting to see the difference in battery weights with lithium.
Is it too random a question to ask where you would loose a foot of space in a 20 footer with a centre bathroom and a queen island plus club lounge at the rear?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Gamba,

It could be taken out a little at a time all over the van... If you are talking second hand over in W.A. they are all different, I cannot help you much as each Bushtracker is custom designed to suit the Lifestyle choices of the Owners..

If You are talking new, we have all kinds of other options, and can even give you a 21' layout in a 20' Bushtracker with Engineering modifications we can talk about at the time of your Order...

Now, one thing, we do not digress into individual layout choices and plans on a personal basis on the Forum. To do so would HOPELESSLY clog up the Forum.. Laughing Laughing Send Personal choices and ideas to sales@bushtracker.com

In new sales: We spend a day with you, a number of Office Staff available, and go through all the options and innovations and layouts and equipment. On a visit here (You have to book that in so we can reserve the time for you) we can show you the layout innovations and ideas in person and develop your plans... Anyway if you are going new, from W.A. I would plan on an over-night stay here. We can get the bulk of it done and colours and cabinet styles, and detail the rest by email...

Anyway, WELCOME TO THE FORUM...!!

Kind regards, stg
remarkables

State:: NZ
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gareth

We currently have a 21ft BT

For what it's worth our next van will be a 20ft with the door in front of the wheels, currently we are a rear door. Our opinion is that with the front door you still retain all your bench space and not too much is lost in cupboard space.

Towing with 100 series LC

Queenstown
New Zealand

We won't bore you with our travel details but if you wish to bore yourself the address is

https://www.polarsteps.com/BruceCunningham/653789-alice-springs?s=ABC84A27-2B96-40BE-9D0D-389851F10D92
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gareth,

we bought our 200 Sahara from Steve. It had a suspension upgrade, 400 kg on the rear and 200 kg on the front. This accommodated the steel bullbar and winch. It also has a drawer system in the back and the third row of seats removed and an engineering certificate to reduce it to a 5 person vehicle.

In March I went over a weigh bridge to check out the weight of the vehicle. My golf clubs, electric buggy, a small ARB compressor, a small tool bag and tools and 3/4 of a tank of fuel. 3200 kg! Boy was I surprised. The GVM of the Saharah is 3350 kg. Our Bushtracker is 20' and has a gross trailer mass of 3500 kg.

When I hook the van up which adds 350 kg to the tow hitch, I am at my maximum Gross Combined Mass (GCM) of 6850 kg. "Sorry my dear, you cannot get in. You will have to run along behind." does not cut it with my wife so I needed to do something. I had a 450 kg GVM and GCM upgrade and now can be 7300 kg GCM. It cost about $3500 but it was worth it to give peace of mind and become legal.

We remove the second row of seats whenever we go away with the van which gives us a bit more capacity to carry important stuff (read wine and beer), our car fridge and deep cycle battery (to keep the beer cold) in the vehicle.

I recommend that you load your Cruiser as you would for your adventures and drive onto a weighbridge. I got the surprise of my life, you might also.

Good luck with your endeavors and I hope this is useful. By the way, you will not regret it if you get yourself a Bushtracker. We have had ours since it was built for us in 2012 and have been along most of the outback tracks without any issues. They are certainly well built!

Kind regards ...
Gamba1973

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there.
We shall be aranging a factory tour in the new year Steve, thanks.
Ajay and Fletch, im interested in seeing the layouts and innovations and how some feel more roomy than others.
Thanks all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: