CURRENT TRACTION TYRE UPDATE, HOW VARIOUS BRANDS SURVIVE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushtracker
Site Admin

State:: Queensland
Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: CURRENT TRACTION TYRE UPDATE, HOW VARIOUS BRANDS SURVIVE Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

You might guess I see more tyres than just about anyone, as we have between two to six Owners in here on any given average day... I thought you might like some tyre experience and update.

In All Terrains are the most common, because of the noise. I do not see much difference in the most common ones in here, which would be BFG (B.F. Goodrich All Terrains) or the D-693 that we put on the vans, except that the D-693 has heavier steel under the tread and 1500 denier thickness of the sidewall layers instead of the BFG 1000 denier. But in all fairness it is a bit of a wash.. Coopers are common, but there are two camps on them, ones that love them and ones that hate them, and it appears that it is a matter of weight with all Coopers. Under 3 ton, and they seem to be fair, but over 3 ton of vehicle and on the stony roads we have seen a dozen? sets dissintegrate in as little as 30,000 kms reported to us..

For heavier vehicle like Fords, Chevrolet, Dodge trucks, the Goodyear "Silent Armour" has the heavier rating, and appears to be a leading contender. Again this is All Terrains, and they are popular because they run quietly down the road. In truth, the All Terrains are much of a muchness...

In Mud Terrains: Here is a new tyre on the Market, out just 15 months and here is why it is interesting... Quieter:

Now the leading Contenders are Goodyear MTR Muddies, and the famous BFG Mud Terrain, And Coopers... Again the Coopers seem to chip badly on the rocky gravel from what has been reported to us, many times, so if you are a loaded vehicle over 3 tons I would reconsider this as we have seen it and had it reported many times.. But we have no personal experience in the Coopers, only what has been shown and told to us.. The people doing well with them seem to be in the more lightly loaded vehicles, or there are some batch variations we cannot account for and just coincidence..... But I doubt it. Observations seem to indicate weight is a problem for them in the gravel...

The BFG Mud Terrain has been the standout historically with all 4x4 Clubs in the past 20 years or so.... I have run them on several vehicles for about 15 years, and they seem to run about 75,000-80,000 kms. The Goodyear has a higher rated tyre for the larger Dodge, Chevrolet, and Ford trucks, the Goodyear MTR... They are both very similar and have good reputations. The same goes for Mickey Thompsons, very tough tyre, but we are getting also pretty expensive for the Mickey Thompsons..

There is now a new Contender.... It is the Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrain. Why am I showing you this? Well, I think EVERYONE that is serious about getting really Off-Road would like Mud Terrains, but NO ONE wants the noise they make... BFG Muddies Howl, and I am told the Goodyear MTR is just as loud... These are a bit quieter, and really tough looking:

I have just put them on my Silverado, and this is the quietest 4x4 on the road, the only close rival would be the 200 Series for quiet running. On the highway you can hardly hear the engine at all, only a faint turbo whine around town unless you romp on it... Are these tyres really quiet, NO! But they seem to be maybe 30% quieter than the BFG Muddies, maybe more. And they are Load Rating E for the heavier vehicles, the 117 heavy load rating from memory... Anyway, I think they are tolerable for noise. At 100kph, it is very moderate. At 110 kph they get a little louder, but I think you could get used to it.

I cannot tell you much about them, out only 15 months, and the only report on wear is about 50% left at 40,000 kms. But I think they are quieter than the Goodyear MTR and BFG Mud Terrains, maybe only 60-70% the noise I remember... They have certainly an aggressive tread pattern, in the same style as the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw sort of tyre with the tread down the sidewalls for extra traction in the mud... And they have the heavy load rating as I said.. If any of your are really serious, we can go for a ride in mine and you can judge better for yourself. BFGs seem to get much louder as they age, and really howl... It is reported to me that these are not as bad by any measure and that is why my interest.

More as I have the experience with them. I will update this as we go along. I can only tell you what I know, and I think this is a new Contender worth considering. Available via Pro-Comp in Melbourne. And there is a Distributor in Brisbane, or they can direct you to a Distributor in your area. I obviously thought they were worth a play, and will keep you Posted.

This is a convert from me from the BFG Muddie, which technically does not have the higher load rating the Silverado and Fords require, and the gamble is that these stay quieter and more tolerable, more as I have it...

Other comments on Brands of Mud Terrains I have not mentioned are welcome in this Thread... I have only touched on some of the more common ones. And watch your load ratings on the heavier vehicles OK? Particularly if you are going to really load them up and are not running Dual rear wheels.. It is easy to put too much stress on them with a large canopy and load in the back.... The Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrain are Load Rating E which is about the heaviest you can get in a MT... Wink

Regards, stg

P.S. You can see them up close and personal on my new van at the Brisbane Show in June, at least that is the plan...

Last edited by Bushtracker on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I have cleaned the blue coating off the white Pro-Comp Lettering and they look good... Interestingly, as the casting nipples on the tread have worn away, the tire is getting quieter. Very Happy

Now it is possible, that I am just a little tone deaf... But at 100 kph, I do not find the little road noise bad at all. I would venture about 60% of what a normal Muddie noise is like with the BFG. Not quite half the noise but close. The pitch changes and it is annoying at 110 kph for some reason, but relatively quiet at 100. So, I guess that is another reason to drive 100... Laughing I will give anyone a ride here at BT if they want to judge for themselves. This tyre means about DOUBLE the 4x4 when in the wet... Really! An All Terrain just gums up immediately into a mud greased slick... This Extreme Muddie would give you at least double the traction in my experience.. Regards, stg Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no axe to grind against Cooper, I am only reporting what I see and am told...

This is a set of the best of the Coopers, the STT, reportedly the latest and greatest. It looks to me the tread is about 3/4 worn out, at best optimistic estimate something over 1/2, and these reportedly have 13,000 kms on them reported by the Owners. The Owners say they are absolute **** and would never have them again...

But again, why do you get three around the campfire raving about them, and three others cursing them>??? It appears again to be weight. Cooper rubber compound seems to be OK up to 3 ton, and over three ton like this Ford that I would guesstimate to be running 4.2 or so, and they seem to wear in the extreme.. I see some that have traveled on the gravel, so chipped up as to barely make out the rounded edges of the tread pattern....

Maybe 3-4mm of tread left before they are on the bars..??? BFG Mud Terrains start at about 13mm from memory. These Coopers are mostly worn out.

Just reporting what I see, in Good Faith... We have had a couple of vans lately equipping things like Silverados and vans in Coopers, and I would ask around before doing this..

From Memory as I said, BFG Muddies run about 13mm? Anyway, here are the Pro Comp muddies and we have no idea how they will wear, only a report of half tread at 40,000kms, as I said only a report.. Anyway, it appears to be at LEAST a 13 mm tread depth.. And here is what they look like relatively new:

No axe to grind, I sell neither one of them, only reporting what I see for your benefit, OK?

Kind Regards, stg

Last edited by Bushtracker on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is my current assessment on the Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrain.... Fabulous mud tire, good in all conditions, and probably a tad quieter than the counterparts...

HOWEVER: To be fair and honest, they are still a howl and the Silverado is soooo so quiet, the pitch of the howl on the hiway is bugging me. It is tolerable at 100, but I commute back and forth 25 minutes each way on the highway, and am sometimes in a hurry. At 110 kph, the pitch of the howl is a bit irritating. Sad

My new plan: I have a batch of the chrome Pro-Comp Wheels coming. I am going to run out my Pirelli All Terrains, putting them on the chrome Pro-Comp wheels, and put the Extreme Mud Terrains on my new van. You will see them at the Brisbane Show. Then I can commute back and forth in quiet. When I travel, I can take the bitumen run with the quiet tyres, and then when I am going to leave the road I can change them over with the Mud Terrains on the van. To pay a tyre shop in Mount Isa or something to rattle gun off 4 swap for 4 should not cost more than maybe $40 or less and take about 20 minutes.

I will leave the spare under the Silverado in the Extreme Mud Terrain, and the two spares on the front of the Bushtracker in Extreme Mud Terrain, and just run the quiet All Terrains on the Silverado when in Civilization... OK with that? My best idea on the subject, as I really do want them when I get into the "Poo", but around town they are still noisy...

I will keep the spare set of original Mags mounted with the Extreme Mud Terrain, so if I change my mind I can switch over to both tow vehicle and van in the MTs... But for now, I will match up the wheels to the van in a split set of AT for the bitumen and MT on the van to swap... Seems sensible to me.. Wink

Kind Regards, stg
Nevian

State:: QLD
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Steve,
From this post am I correct in assuming that the factory Silverado wheel is fine on the Bushtracker?

I am hoping this is so, as I will have eight spares for my Chev very soon, four have arrived ex US and the remaining four on their way.

Might consider something similar to yourself.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have yet to try the Silverado MAG on the Bushtracker Suspension, but I cannot see why it would not fit... Will try one on soon...

The latest update on tyres per a request on suitability of Coopers STT and STR in relation to BFG and Goodyear:

Around a fire with 30 Outback Travelers you could have three that LOVE their Coopers, and three that say they would NEVER have them again.. In our observations here at Bushtracker we see a common trend that I would say is fair in terms of statistical analysis, as the base is large enough and the occurrence is large enough for us to make the following conclusion:

It is a weight issue. Landcruiser sized vehicles, not really loaded up, and smaller vans and the Coopers are fine. But larger vehicles, even a Landcruiser really loaded up with boat on top and so on, and larger vans, and we have seen the Coopers literally chip to pieces on the gravel. The borderline seems to be around the 3 ton... STT, STR, I think it is somewhat uniform with all Coopers. A larger vehicle weight over 3 ton on the gravel and the corners all chip of, and the heavier the faster and larger the chunks come off.

We even had a Pro-Comp set of All Terrains that at the time were made in the Cooper Factory; go to pieces on the gravel with Tracy's Dodge. It was so bad they did Warranty on them.. It seems to be a common trend. NOTE: The Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrain show here, are a completely different casing and breed of cat...

Anyway, back on Cooper reports to us: Modestly loaded Landcruiser and Nissan vehicles and the reports are 60-80% favorable. Larger than 3 ton and about 80% unfavorable. To get the advertized Warranty on the Coopers, you have to STAY on the bitumen. And from our research and talking with various tyre people, it seems that the amount of silica they add to the rubber to get the hardness to make up the Cooper bitumen warranty, is its demise and destruction when heavy loaded on the gravel roads... The biggest problem seems to be the hardness and chipping of edges. But in the Post shown above with them on a larger vehicle, they do not get the wear in kilometers either, as reported by that Customer and measured by ourselves; it looked like they were only going to go 20-25,000 kms on that Ford at best. The STT are very popular, but in the above Posting, that is what they looked like at a reported 13,000 kms on a Ford loaded to about 4 tons (again as reported by the Owners).

Disclaimer: These are our observations only our opinion based on what we have seen here. These are not Scientific tests. It could possibly be an extreme case of co-incidence, however we are reporting what we have seen in large number of vehicles here visiting Bushtracker.

I would say however that our opinion on matters like this is heavily weighted by the bulk of observations, as we have many Owners visiting here on a daily basis. While it could be a statistical anomaly (co-incidence) the number are quite high in support of our observations and judgment. Personally I like the look of Coopers, the STT and STR, but will not run them on my own vehicles... We have also had unfavorable reports on sidewalls failing, more than any of the mainstream tyres listed in the Postings above..

Best I can do for you is this observation..... Those reporting favorable results outside of the parameters listed above, are far in the minority.... Friends, I have no axe to grind, and I am trying to be as scientific and unbiased about the observations I report, with your best interests at heart. We are not bought by any Suppliers to sway our opinions and observations, but try to honestly give you fair analysis in all cases...

NOW ANOTHER ISSUE REGARDING MATCHING TO THE LARGER VEHICLES:

Now one more thing, per another question, on the larger vehicles like Fords, Dodges, Silverado, and so on: You need the load rating "E" which is not common, particularly with some sizes in BFG, infact I am not sure I have seen a BFG with the load rating E.... What comes to mind with the larger vehicles, is why bother? These heavy load rating tyres come at about a $150 premium over our regular tyres, even $200 more each for some types... When you have a large vehicle and canopy, it is FAR CHEAPER to just get an extra spare for the tow vehicle and then you have two spares for each, Bushtracker and tow vehicle... OK? It just seems a bit wasteful to run heavy load rating expensive tyres on the Bushtracker, and expensive wheels, when a standard of something like 5 or 6 stud Landcruiser or Nissan, is supplied at no charge with our normal D-693 or 694 steel radials All Terrains at no extra charge.... My thinking is why bother make them interchangable at sort of $1500 or more in extra expense for no good reason... If you have one of these larger tow vehicles, save your money, run our standard 265/75 R-16 Outback tyres on our standard wheels, and just pick up a second spare to throw in the back of Ford, Chev, or Dodge canopy... OK with this concept? Just seems a bit wasteful to match them all up when it is so expensive and over the top for the Bushtracker....

However, spend your money and match them all up if you like. My point is: I am not sure it is necessary or even an efficient use of money. Wink

As to heavy duty sidewall tyres, one of the top contenders for first place for the larger tow vehicles, is the Goodyear "Silent Armour" All Terrain, or the Goodyear MTR for a more aggressive tread.. Both of these have gotten very good reports. Personally, right now I am testing "Pirelli Scorpion" All Terrains on my Silverado, and Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrains on my new Bushtracker. But it is too early to give a review on either. I have also not heard a bad report on Mickey Thompsons, but this is more of a boutique brand for Enthusiasts in 4x4, and expensive... Right now if I had to buy a tyre with a long track record, the Goodyear "Silent Armour" or MTR would have my attention.

For a smaller vehicle the D-693 or 694 with steel heavier than the BFG, and 1500 Denier Sidewall layer, is my choice and I have never had a flat. They are currently on my 100 Series. There is a reason we switched over to them from BFG, and you can tell it for yourself: Come to my office ANYTIME and in my jumble of R&D experiments junkheap, I have cut samples of the BFG sidewall and steel undertread, and the D-693 which has obvious heavier layers sidewall and heavier steel undertread. A blind man can flex it and feel the difference, fair dinkum..

Regards from the lone Ranger.... Back training horses every afternoon in preparation for 4 major State and National Competitions in the next four months... So if you don't hear from me right away, just know tha my laptop does not work well in the saddle .... Laughing
Davef

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,

I was seriously considering fitting 17" rims with muddies to my van so that they would be interchangeable with the Silverado, if and when needed. Now that I have read your post on this matter I am having a big re-think.

I do have 2 spares ordered for the Silverado; 6 wheels all same same. However, would you please publish the size and stud pcd of the 17" chrome rims that your research discovered, so that I can if necessary, pass it along to a tyre supplier.

Many thanks Steve for this wonderful forum and the huge effort you put into it.

Regards,
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Dave, we try, it is an effort to return something to the Bushtracker Community.

Now on the rims shown, those are Pro-Comp steel, and 8" wide. Most stock rims that come with original tow vehicles are 7" wide. Many people opt for wider or larger tyres at some point, and almost all aftermarket wheels like these are 8" wide to allow for this. There is nothing wrong with putting stock sized tyres on 8" rims, and there is the advantage of being able to go to a larger or wider tyre that requires it...

Anyway, this is the Chevrolet 8 stud pattern, the Silverado PCD, but in 8" where the standard Mag on the Silverado is 7"... It is unfortunate that in 17" your tyre selections are somewhat limited, but it is getting better.

Cheers, stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

One of the latest things I am testing is a tyre that I see as possibly one of the TOP Contenders, the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain, "Silent Armour" it is called.

Now why the interest? Well first of all, it is a quiet hence the "Silent" and armoured, but second of all it has the 123/177 Load Rating "E". Technically, this is the load rating for ALL Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet/GMC trucks. While for now some are getting away with using the rear axle load rating and two tyre load carrying exceeding it system, this is technically incorrect and more and more of the Insurance and Law Enforcement type people are getting wind of the Load Rating "D" vrs the Load Rating "E" which is higher and what is really required...

Anyway, it is a fair looking All Terrain.

The Boys are headed of on a 10,000 km ROMP of real hard YAKKA, for a new DVD in some of the roughest country in Australia. These tyres are on one of the new vans I am testing some more new innovations with, and on the tow vehicle as well. We will look at them and get the report on this Forum. This will be a new DVD run, and also testing some new ideas we have cooked up for debut at next years Shows.. Interesting Stuff I promise.. Wink

stg,
Semper Fidelis
niknoff

State:: WA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just ordered a set of the Silent Armour 285x75x16 for our F250, we previously had the Cooper STT's fitted and they are shot having travelled approx 35,000 majority of which was towing, only two punctures, a stake from an old peg and a slice from a sharp rock and both have been recently when the tread was well worn, plugged both and continued on. I have had balance problems from the start with one being replaced under warranty, others needed speciality balancing. When new they were reasonably quiet but as they have worn down they howl.

My priority is puncture resistance and i can't complain about the STT's in that regard, I am hoping the Silent Armour are as good, the extra distance i hope to get out of them and the quietness will be a bonus.

Cheers
Mick
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting update,
I have just upgraded to a set of 285/75 R-16 BFG Mud Terrains. One size bigger than stock, about a 5% more speed compared to the speedo and tacho due to larger diameter...

Anyway, why these, is I had them on a work trailer to swap over with the tow vehicle. Quiet All Terrains around town, and when going west in potentially muddy terrain, swap them over.

Now here is the interesting bit... These are very quiet !! Could be one of several reasons:

1) They are not cupped in the front from new, and as they wear you need to rotate them to the rear to even this out or they start to howl !!

2) The Distributor said the rubber in them "ages" and goes harder for the first few years. Maybe these are four years old and that is why they are so quiet.

3) Maybe I do not remember the previous sets on several vehicles being this quiet, or maybe it is just that they are new??

Any way, I have them on, and will leave them on, as they are running very quiet and the larger size is an advantage towing with OverDrive off for the auto transmission. Over all, I have had good luck with BFG Muddies on several cruisers and a full import Ford 7.3 IDI engine F-350 years ago. And on a Brazilian built F-250....

I have had extremely good luck with the BFG Muddies myself.... Never staked one, inexpensive compared to the other "Contenders", and while they do not have an "E" rated version in 16", I hear they have one now in 17"... I have had muddies for at least 15 years and still like them, but these are quieter than I remembered?.......

As always, other Owners experience and opinions are welcome, it is just that I have had good luck on a number of vehicles with the BFG MT. But, it could be just luck... What do you think?

Regards stg
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING:

If you are considering the Pro Comp Extreme Mud Terrains, and have a vehicle over 3 ton, hold off. It appears that these have the same problem on rocky ground with a vehicle of 4 ton like a loaded Ford, Dodge, or Chevrolet... We have a Dodge with them on, that will be here for pictures in about two weeks and I will post the pictures.

From the report, severe wear and chipping, similar to the Coopers. These tyres may also not be good for vehicles over 3 ton, with the effect apparently just like the Coopers on gravel tracks. We have had the same results with the All Terrains, please refer to the Postings above in this Topic, and cannot recommend them at this point.

Testing testing... lone Ranger out on the trail 24/7

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Know this is an old post but am buying tyres for van and LC100 and wondered whether you thought the BFG's were worth the extra $40 each over the Bridgestone D694's

Hello BobnDi,

No.... In a short answer version, No...

Long answer:
In fact the D-694 has heavier layers in the sidewall, and double the size of steel under the tread. In fact I have never gotten even a flat in a D-694...

I have put BFG 285/75s Mud Terrains on my Super Cruiser, because I had a set of 6 that were four years old... But in All Terrains, I would probably say from experience the D-694 is tough as it gets. 1500 Denier Sidewall layers over 1000 Denier in BFG, and thicker steel under tread. Here is a picture to help you understand, of the samples in my Office:

The top one is a BFG AT, the bottom one is the D-694... I hope it shows up, but the steel difference is double thick, so extreme you can feel it in the stiffness of the tread itself.. And, I have heard of heavily loaded BFGs picking up a rock in the tread, and another rock catching it just right and jamming it through the tread. At about 800 D-694's a year, so thousands running, no one has reported this effect with the heavier steel under the tread in the D-694 we use as standard.

Now in Mud Terrains, in my reference of experience, BFG is still KING... But that is not fair because I don't know anyone that has run a Muddie in D-694, or for that matter if it even exists.. Laughing

In the D-694, in an AT pattern, I have been running 285/75 R-16 on a 6 ton trailer, for what, maybe 6 years now? And never even had a flat on them either... Exclamation Here is a picture of it in service with my last King Ranch F-350 Dually in service from early 2007.

Da lone Ranger don believe in nuttin' he hears.... Would rather cut it up to know for sure.. Exclamation Laughing Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are some serious results...

The Pro-Comp Extreme Mud Terrain on my van, look fine, and are going well.. But we have a problem.... It appears they have the same problem as the Coopers, and as soon as the GVM gets up about 4 ton, they crumble away on the gravel and rocks just like the Coopers...

Here is what a set looks like, about 6000 kms, 3500 on rocky gravel, on Tracy's Dodge Ram loaded up to about 4 ton for a trip:

Not just the sharp corners crumbling away, the tread base is cracking up..

Now, from my testing of them on my Silverado at 3 tons, and my van, they are really great tyres. But when you load them up to 4 ton like a Ford or Dodge or Chevrolet that is loaded for travel all over Oz.. Then you have a problem on rocky gravel roads. As it turns out, from reports, these Pro-Comp tyres are made in the Cooper Factor, and I have not verified this myself; it is the same results that I have seen reported with the Coopers: That in 3 ton range and below they are OK, but 4 ton and up, and they crumble on the gravel. It is as if there is too much silica in the rubber compound, and while it makes them wear well on the bitumen, they crumble away on the hard gravel.

Now this is just an unfounded supposition, based on reports and observations, but I think it is a fair analysis given that now we have tested it ourselves first hand... And gotten the same results...

Here are a set of Silent Armour Goodyear Wranglers that did the same trip:

It was not just sharp gravel roads, and while this is not a fair comparison as these Goodyears did not have that weight, it shows that the road was not all that bad as these are unmarked on the same trip... Wink

I thought you should know.. I do more R&D than anyone I know, 24/7, and you don't always get success. Some of my research works out well, some does not, and I only report the results as I see them... And this is done with your Best Interests in Mind.. Regards from the Road Ranger...
Sundy & Cyclone

State:: Qld.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: BFG's Reply with quote

About the Duelers --------- D694 or D694LT ----- ??? What happened to the days when only size mattered ???.
Tony
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony, the D-694 is a model of the Bridgestone... Look in all fairness, they got tired of being beaten in the marketplace and the 4x4 Clubs by BF Goodrich. So, what they did, was build a tyre with more steel under the tread, and thicker denier sidewall layers of 1500 Denier instead of the BFG 1000 Denier. That and they offered slightly deeper tread depth...

Da lone Ranger never listens to Salesmen, and believes NONE of what he hears and only HALF of what he sees. Laughing Cool

So they brought me Lab tests, of which I have a copy, and the D-694 took 4000 lbs of a hydraulic ram to punch through the tread, where the BFG took 2700, at the same inflation level.. Something like that from memory and some other tests... Further we have the following cross section cuts for comparison: Top is BFG, bottom is D-694 (made in all sizes)..

That was about 5? years ago.... And I am still running a set on a 6x6 Trailer and the D-694 is about all we run on the vans... I have had them on a Ford, a Landcruiser, and two vans, and to tell you the truth I have never even had a flat on one! Still have a set on this trailer:

Those used to have a 20' Cargo ship container on them, now a utility trailer, maybe six years? Never even had a flat... Wink Anyway, it is the toughest tyre we have had, and what we put on Bushtrackers. One Customer reported 80,000 kms on a set on his 4x4, that is good enough for me.

Please put your bad report on the Wrangler "Silent Armour" on here. And I will add pictures of them and tread depth in about 10 days when the van gets back from W.A.

Regards from the lone Ranger, testing, testing, 24/7 a way of life... Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sundy & Cyclone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Silent Armours Reply with quote

Sundy & Cyclone

Current Bushtracker owner:: Yes Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:11 pm Post subject: Silent Armours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been running the usual "wranglers" on our 100 series for about 2 years, the main problem we have had with them has been that EVERY puncture we have had (5 of), have all been on outback roads and all caused by stones. All bar 1 (the last one), have been pluggable and gone on to live another day but before we get a rush of "you must be running them at the wrong pressure for the conditions" let me say that I have tried a range of pressures and still have punctures ??????. On the black top they're fine but as soon they sniff dust, it's get the jack ready!!.

A couple needed replacing so we went for the "Silent Armours" on the rear of the 100s and on our last trip down from Cairns on the Bruce H/Way, with a starting pressure of 45 psi and the van hooked up I was battling to keep every thing on the road.
Checked loose this and over tight that, but could find no problems so when passing through Maryborough (Qld) and home except for about 35 k's we called into a Good Year dealer to explain our situation. Even with out the load and presures reduced in tyres and air bags for around the town driving it does not seem to have a solid grip on the road.

He checked their pressures (the Silent Armours ), and immediately pumped them UP to 55psi and said "they are a light truck tyre and need to be run at that pressure" ----- no further problems except the ride is noticeably harsher, and understandably !!!!!.

So there you have it and I look forward to the replies,

Cheers Tony

Think we may be getting rid of those and back onto Duelers that we have run on previous vehicles..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here are the results of Real Time R&D on the Goodyear Wrangler "Silent Armour" All Terrains. We did three trips with them: Through the Channel Country in Western Queensland and New South Wales Innaminka country. The second trip up in the Gulf. And now the third trip beating up the van on the Tanami, to the Kimberlies and Bungle Bungles to Lake Argyle region..

Here is what a new one looks like:

And here is what it looks like after three trips, two of the tyres front and rear with minimal wear and no evidence of rock chipping or gouging:

Here is what the wear looks like after the three trips as compared to new. (Forgive my Bush depth caliper, mine is broken) Here is the depth new:

And after the three trips:

Maybe 2 mm wear... And here is the one casualty, but this was abuse travelling too fast and hit a rut too hard and cut the sidewall on the rim. This is probably more a reflection of the sharp edge of the rim than the tyre failure in the abuse of travel too fast.

More real time R&D results coming, Courtesy of the lone Ranger
Geoff Gartner

State:: NSW
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony
I have noticed Bridgestone advertising a new D694LT in 265/75R16 for $20 more than the standard D694 , which are 6 ply. Actually both of these seem to be designated LT on the Bridgestone brochure Exclamation but the new ones are 10 ply and rated 123S and would be a great tyre from point of view of very strong carcass construction and tread depth however my only reservation would be the recommended inflation pressure of 550kPa(80psi) .I know any number of 4WD are running on LT tyres but if fitted to the van and even if running at considerably less pressure than max. I would worry about shaking the hell out of everything. Am still pondering this one Question
Mobi Condo

State:: South Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'day all, forgive me if I have missed the following and it is in the thread.
I wonder what the actual distance (kilometres) is for the travel for the tyres on the three trips. I could consult maps, but ask if there is an Odo record of the distance.
Cheers - Ian & Sally
Terrain to Travel
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Geoff Gartner:

Da road Ranger here: Answers to three questions..
There is a subtle cost variation due to where it is made. The D-693 is the older model still in stock in diminishing quantities and D-694 is the new one we have in stock at Bushtracker. They are two models that are practically the same, only a slight tread variation and no real difference. Both made in Australia. There is however another D-694 that is made in Japan, and that is a different price and slightly different tread design, still All Terrain, but a little different price. For now we are sticking with the True Blue while we can.

Second question is yes, you will shake hell out of everything and cause a lot damage if you run too high a pressures. I have not tried running the 10 ply version at lower pressures so I cannot comment, but that is a problem you need to address. I did tests on BFG in the Outback running them 10,000 at 50 psi on the corrugation, and completely destroyed the brakes among other things. The magnets completely wore out chattering on the actuating arms, and there was severe wear on both. The life of our brakes is between 50,000 and 100,000 kms with people that let the tyre pressure down on the corrugation. Higher tyre pressure= More wear, lower tyre pressure= Longer wear. While there are other contributing factors you can read about in Owners section on Brakes like the Controller setting and proper adjustment, tyre pressure is a key element. I would not buy a tyre that you could not lower in pressure.

Mind you, it has been my experience in the past, that their mandated tyre pressures are talking about bitumen running at high speed for HEAT BUILDUP and my not relate to slow low speed travel in the dirt.. But I have not tested those particular ones and cannot say. Out tyres work fine and unless you had a heavier tow vehicle like Dodge, Ford, Chevrolet, I am not sure you need to have the heavy load rating tyres. The disadvantages might outweigh the advantages unless you have a need for it.. OK with that?

Mobi Condo: Upon review, I made a mistake and here is the correction. We did not put those "Silent Armour" tyres on and test them until the second last and the last trip. They have only gone 15,000 to 16,000 kms on the last two trips..
I was not talking up the wear although showing it is minimal, I was really showing the lack of gravel chipping and rock gouging that is present on some other brands that results in extreme wear on the gravel...

However: One caveat has to be taken into consideration on my R&D in that this was a light van. The other tyres that have SERIOUS gravel chipping and rock gouging extreme wear, were present on vehicles that went OVER 3 tons. Even Coopers as I have built the evidence to suggest, are possibly OK on lighter vehicles, where they have even been shredded on Cruisers that were loaded up with boats and motors and such. We have not done a test, nor do we have the empirical evidence to suggest these are OK in heavier applications.

In saying that, many larger tow vehicles are running them because of the Load Rating "E" and we have not heard of any "rock crumble" problems like have been reported with Coopers and Pro-Comps which seem to have this weight issue when the vehicle gets over 3 ton. I would say there is a good chance it is not present with the Goodyear Wrangler "Silent Armour" as we have not seen it nor heard of it, but I cannot give empirical evidence only hypothesis.. (Scientific guesstimation based on available evidence).. Wink

Kind Regards, lone Ranger, doing the best I can to gather up all the research and experience of the 1000 running out there...
Sundy & Cyclone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Silent Armours Reply with quote

Geoff,
the Silent Armours have a similar suggested pressure rating at about 80 psi. As I said in an earlier post I found that while heading down the "Bruce" recently with van in tow, it was hard to keep everything on the straight & narrow running them at 45 psi. When inflated to 50 psi the stability improved dramatically, have not run them off road yet so not sure how they might perform there but my confidence is not running high in that area. Steve is right though in that the hi pressures which seem to be neccessary will shake the **** out of van and vehicle.
Steve,
Would be interested to know what pressures your Silent Armours were run at on the tests. Confused
Tony
Bushtucker man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Wranglers on BT Reply with quote

We have Good Year Silent Armour and they still look new after close to 15000 ks, much like the ones in the photos. Now I am trying to get the same for the 200 series.

Stan
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony,
Your report on the "feel" of it is taken seriously, but so far it is fairly unique. I am not trying to discredit you in any way, nor your report, so don't take it personally please. This has NOT been our experience... And while I have been considering your Posting on the matter, this is NOT what we encountered.

We ran the Goodyear Wrangler "Silent Armour" on the severe corrugation, down to 28 psi. This was necessary on that horrible bloody Tanami track.

Foot Note: Don't go the Tanami. It has been let go and even the Truckies have abandoned using it as a shortcut, with extreme damage, tanks falling off, fuel trailers for the mines having to be rebuilt every month and travel at 5 kms per hour in places according to the Truckies. The W. A. side is SHOCKING... They have abandoned all maintenance, and the only use is now forced service to the mines.. Not only is it SEVERE abuse of the equipment, but the highway route to the north is much prettier scenery... You will damage your tow vehicle, bore yourself to death, and it is quicker on the Highway to get to the Kimberlies, where the Tanami scenery is nothing and boring. It is now a totally miserable run, and you cannot even Bush Camp as the Aboriginal Owners have made all access now illegal other than a couple of designated rest areas, unless you have a Special Permit.

Anyway, we ran this track at 28 psi with the Silent Armour, and we also ran on the Plenty and Donahue dirt tracks. Matthew says he NOT notice any wallow or loss of control or bad towing feel, in fact, Matthew says: " If anything it felt better at 28 psi towing with the Prado on the corrugation, not on the bitumen of course where we pumped them back up." However, this was certainly a factor when we demolished a tyre, but that was a severe and hard rut, and that particular wheel has a sharp edge that cut the tyre, and that was the only one. I don't think it is an issue to factor in, more like a freak incidence.

Now mind you, this is only on the van, and you may have a point on some drift or wallow in relation to running on the tow vehicle and I am not disputing or discrediting this report.. I have not heard of it before, and not experienced it either...

By the way, all tyres have a high psi rating if you are going to approach their upper load limits. Even D rated go up to 65 psi. 80 is because of the heavy E rating. I do not run tyres anywhere near that, because they ride too hard when you do.. Also be mindful of the cold tyre pressure that when the tyre heats up raises the tyre pressure 5 psi in winter minimums and as much as 15 psi in summer on highways like the Nullabor. On the corrugation, 28 psi hot is low, 28 psi cold then taking off can be 35 psi or better. On dirt tracks I have run my cold psi down to 20, and gotten a hot psi of 25-28..

By the way, I have learned that they do serious tyre testing in Africa as well, check this out:

Regards from the road Ranger Laughing
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a set of Pro-Comp All Terrains, that were on a truck loaded to about 4 ton GVM. It is one trip across the Red Centre, at or less than 10,000 kms and they are wrecked. Chipped up beyond reason, cracked tread.

It appears they have the same problem as the Coopers, OK for about a 3 ton loaded vehicle, but chip all up and disintegrate on the stony gravel when they go up to 4 ton. Shocked

The Owner reports less than 10,000 kms, Owner says: "10,000 kms TOPS.." Confused

This gets back to why some people have a good run out of Coopers and these Pro-Comps, and others do not.. This theory is further backed up by evidence and pictures, and correspondes to my 3 ton limit observation. I must say though, that the aberations to the reporting suggests that some have problems even in the 3 ton loaded Landcruiser range, as they have reported the same chipping and gouging of the tread.

Just reporting what I see, with your Best Interests in Mind. lone Ranger out der some where..

P.S. 1/14/09 UPDATE: I have a somewhat reliable report, that these Pro-Comp tyres are made in the Cooper Factory... Duh... Rolling Eyes
No wonder they exhibit the same characteristics on the gravel. Now as I have said, I have no axe to grind, I am just reporting what I see here. These actually are on one of our test vehicles, so this is real time empirical testing.... These were actually totally destroyed to almost illegal, in only 4000 kms on hard gravel. But mind you, it is a weight thing again, and they disitegrate at about 4 ton like in this case. I have a set on my Bushtracker that are doing just fine... And I ran a set on my Silverado, but again not loaded that high. It seems to be a 3 ton vehicle tyre, over that and toast... Wink

Last edited by Bushtracker on Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Well here is a new one... Our tried and true BFG Mud Terrain, good for the past 16 years at least.. HAS CHANGED THE PATTERN.. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

It looks very aggressive, and the story line with it is that the different lug spacing (which is dramatic in different spacing) is to limit noise. I will have a report for you in a few days. BFG has always been good for sort of 60k to 80k and the muddies I have had were not prone to stone chipping overall.. Anyway, I will follow up for you with Empirical Tests. Here is what they look like and in 17" Exclamation :

They are massively aggressive looking lil buggers, as compared with my Standard BFG Mud Terrains like on my Tractor Cruiser

Will let you know the outcome, in the big test: Noise!

Regards from the road, Ranger
Kingy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve

Have you formed any further opinion on the new BFG muddies. I'm looking to put new tyres on the F250 and I see on the US BFG site that the new KM2 MT's have a load rating of 126 for the LT285/75R16/E as opposed to 122 for the previous model.

That's music to the ears of those of us that may travel a little heavy..
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noi, we have not gotten any kilometres on them as yet... The test is heavily loaded and on a gravel highway out west. We will have to wait for that one, as we will not get our set out there until later in the year.

Maybe someone else will try a set and have some input before that. I will log the results here when we have them. The look mean, but the proof is in the pudding, or in this case where the rubber hits the road (gravel and rock).

Regards from the road Ranger Wink
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,
Here is the Real Time R&D on those new BFG Mud Terrains. (All new pattern) This is after about 20,000 kms, across the red centre, Kimberlies, W.A. and back.

New they look like this:

And here are the ones that have crossed the Never Never, approaching 20,000 kms, on the van:

It looks like reasonable wear, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 gone, but note that there is little evidence of stone chipping edges or disintegrating on the gravel and rock.. This Owner says he does not think they are as noisy as the old BFG Muddies. He has them on the tow vehicle as well.

Regards, stg
OUTDOINIT

State:: W.A
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Cooper Tyres Failing Reply with quote

Original Post in General Discussion... 3/9/09
Hi All,
I have a set of Cooper tyres (LT 285/70 R17) on the 200 series and we have only travelled 43000 kms on them and they are STUFFED , more so over our last trip across the great central and central way to Alice Springs. I rang Coopers and was told I was running too high a pressure in them and that is what is causing the failure??(I normally run 38psi Highway & 28 - 30 psi on dirt).. I would like to know if anyone else is having the same sought of probs and if anyone has any good advice... HA HA .... When I get to Brisbane I am taking them in for coopers to inspect, but dont expect too much .. OR BETTER STILL WHAT ARE A GOOD SET OF ALLROUND TRYES???
Thanks & Regards Too All
Lyndon & Rosie

A further bit of info on our Cooper tyres failing.
Our Setup includes 200 series Crusier (2850 kg Fully Loaded with rear and back seats removed) Towing 20' BT with 5 x water tanks and fully loaded (3320kg) Draw bar weight is 320kg when hitched and of course fully loaded (we obviously dont tarvel this heavy all the time) Very Happy .. Cooper tryes on the Crusier at 43k (Approx 30k towing van) and only 2500kms on gravel where most of the damage has been done Evil or Very Mad ..
Davef

State:: Western Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR, LT265/70 R17 on my Silverado. Have 21,000km on the rear set and 10,000 km on the front. I didn't get a tread depth on the new tyres, but my front set are 2mm deeper than the rear. Front are 10mm, rear 8.2mm. There are no signs of tread chipping, or bits being gouged out, just normal wear.

I'm towing a 21' van, 6 x 80L water tanks (usually full), at least 650kg in the ute bed, and the Bushtracker is fully stocked and stored for two. The BT has travelled a mere 13,000km. 5,800km on gravel .. some in good repair and some as bad as it gets.

The Pirelli's are quiet on the tarseal, never acted up on the gravel, and handled 200m stretches of mud water and slush reasonably well .. didn't get bogged, but tended to slide (probably driver inexperience), co-pilot tended to become more vocal and I confess to a bit of white knuckle.

Regards,
Yogi and Muffin

State:: Victoria
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the 200 series drivers,

Yokohama now make tyres to the original specifications for the 200 series.
They are an All terrain type and are 285/65R17 116H specification which is identical to the original. You can also get the original Dunlop Grand Trek radials but I am going for the Yokahamas.
Yokahamas cost about $395 per tyre and Dunlops at $405 per tyre.
To my knowledge these are the only 2 tyres to match the original specifications.

Regards,
Tony
Bow & Nan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200 series Drivers

Bridgestone 694 in 285x65R17 are now avaible. Very Happy
Product code is 704495 in case a tyre dealer has trouble finding or ordering
Load rating 116

Cost about $350 a corner Very Happy

Greg
Brambo

Current Bushtracker owner:: No
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at replacing the tyres on my LX470 soon; it currently has Dunlop AT22 Grand Trek 275/65R17, with a speed/load rating of 115T. Not a bad tyre, but I'm looking at other brands for a possible better mix of 60/40 on-road/off-road. I have 2 contenders:

1. Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA
2. Bridgestone Dueler AT D694

Both these brands have speed/load ratings of 115T. I was considering Coopers as I have a dealer close to home, but after researching in here, I have been turned off them.

I do tow a boat and a van, and do some dirt tracks occasionally. I admit I'm a little biased towards the Bridgestone. Any practical advice before I start flipping the coin would be great.
BobNLyn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: What sort of A/T tyres? Reply with quote

Steve: Transferred as you requested.

I have tried searching the forum without a lot of success, so here goes:

I need to replace tyres on the Land Cruiser and BT. I have always used BFG All Terrains and have had exceptional performance, despite some tyre scrubbing on the van due to wheel alignment issues.
I have preferred the high sidewall strength of the BFGs and have never had a puncture on the road in over 170,000 km, not all with the BT.

My problem is that no one seems to stock them or be able to access them due to shortages, which seems to be widespread.

What alternatives are there? I rate sidewall strength and durability fairly high.

? Maxxis, ? Bridgestone

Looking forward to some responses!
Cheers
BobH
Mr & Mrs Bean

State:: Qld
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:41 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bob,
I have also had a great run with BFG's on a 100 series LC over about 8 years and a 200 series LC since July 2009. However, when we picked up our BT in January 10 I wanted to match the tyres but was told the next shipment of 285/70/R17 BFG tyres were 3 months away. After some research I was referred to Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 Rib which were almost identical in diameter and width. We have only done about 3000 km with the BT bit are so far very happy with the Mickey Thomsons. My son has just purchased a set for his 100 series LC after coming accross the same supply issues.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:00 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Gentlemen,

Please put your research and answers in the Topic that already exists for this subject in: TIPS ON TOW VEHICLES.... Why bother???? So it does not get buried and lost in here. Also the answer may already be there for you.

We have tested most of the variations, like Goodyear Wranglers and so on... There are pictures and mileage reports there for you... What is interesting is the reason some get away with one tyre and others hate the same one and got poor mileage, is that the results vary with weight of the vehicle... Anyway, please move this to that Topic, even if you cut and paste in what you have already.. Thank you.

Kind regards, from the "half a Horseman" at Bushtracker
Brambo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all may I take this opportunity to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a safe and happy new year!
Secondly tyres – I fitted Pro Comp LT265/70R17 All Terrain Tyres to my Lexus LX470, they have a speed rating of 121Q and a load rating of 1450 kgs. I found a local dealer who fits these and swears by them! I go off road a bit and these tyres seem to do the job fine. I’ve travelled around 20,000 kilometres so far without any issues, although I have pushed the bead off a rear rim, the terrain was quite steep with deep ruts that weren’t the same width as my track. I kept driving for another 200 metres before I could find a safe spot to fit the spare. No damage.
Cowboy Steve, have you done any R&D on these? Could they be a possible option for those considering tyres?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Brambo,

Bless you for the New Year, but if you read this Thread about half way, you will in fact find my R&D on those All Terrains... Yes we have tested them.

The issue is much like the Coopers, and it appears to be weight. At 3 tons they could be fine, no worries, if you are happy with them, then fine and good luck. But at 4 tons they performed woefully and disintegrated on the gravel and rock, so they are really only suitable for Landcruiser sized vehicles.

Later Research proved that they had the same sort of high carbon content to make them wear well on the bitumen, like the Coopers. But at 4 tons, they were way to hard and chipped up to finally disintegrate into being worthless as the rubber was too hard and not resilient, and the fragmented...

Anyway, have a happy and safe New Year... Kind regards from the Cowboy,
and Half a Horseman at Bushtracker.
Brambo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cowboy, I did see the thread after you pointed me in that direction - it appears the Pro Comps are not what they seem. Although my experience has been ok, they have obvious weight restrictions. I'll put that in my memory bank for future reference.
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Friends,

These are the first full set of 285's I have seen in the new Wrangler...
Now we have had pretty good luck with the Goodyear Wrangler. These are 285 with a load rating of 1700 kg. The same 285 in a BF Goodrich is only 1500...

They look really tough on the Bushtracker, and while I don't know if the cost is prohibitive or not, they are a massive 1700 kg load rating!!!

The tread is not so aggressive as to be a Mud Terrain howler on the highway, but the paddle wheels on the side and the slightly more aggressive tread makes this a awesome "All Terrain" whether they class it as a mud terrain or not. Certainly worth a look at.

Kind regards from the Cowboy at Bushtracker, half a horseman...
Nevian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Choice of replacement tyres for Silverado Reply with quote

It is new tyre time and I would appreciate any opinions on either

Mickey Thompson Baja Radial ATZ-5 rib in 265/70/R17 or

Goodyear Silent Armour 265/70/R17 as replacements on 2008 Chev Silverado.

I have been quoted the latter as about $40 to $50 dearer.

Thanks
Mike
Neill & Jude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 2011 special edition LC 200 Altitude that is delivered with 285 60 18 tyres with rolling dia of 799mm. These rims are same as Sahara ( and I think VX ). I am looking for an all terrain tyre to suit rims for our trip with new BT this year and off road use. I am finding it a difficult tyre to source. Any suggestions appreciated on a tyre type that is recommended that comes in this size.

Neill & Jude Question
crowbar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to get tyres and rims for the Landcruiser ute and the Bushtracker (18foot 'Crows Nest'). Have been using the standard split rims and standard fit Goodyear tyres since purchasing the trayback a couple of years ago and have been happy but now time to upgrade. I have searched the forum and there is mixed advice which is fair and reasonable since everyone has different situations and equipment (ie vehicles and destinations). I am told by our local Beaurepair man that the Mickey Thompson is as good a tyre as any so after some review I am tending to lean that way. To all you with experience in this vast discussion on tyres and rims and travelling with vans in tow, I seek your opinions and thank you in advance. I am heading onto rough roads and plan to take long cuts to any short destination i.e. Claire and I want to see as much as we can with a minimum of problems and this means we must have good tyres. Look forward to your advice and see you on the road.

Damian & Claire
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In: All Terrains or Mud Terrains,

Mickey Thompsons,
BF Goodrich
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour,
And our Standard Bushtracker Bridgestone D-694 that has impressive steel under the tread, and heavier sidewalls than the BFGs... (Mind you, the only Bridgestone I like)

Shop around a bit, check on prices... I have heard good reports on all of these, mileage varies with load, weight, air pressure, and driving.. But I think all offer reasonable mileage on average from what I have seen...

I see more than most, being the Hub of Information from over a thousand at a time stopping by Bushtracker and travelling around..

On the road, Ranger

Last edited by Bushtracker on Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEWS FROM THE BATTLEFRONT... This is no doubt a "Game Changer"

18" D-697 are on HERE, this may be the answer for the 2012 VX and Saharas....

Gets a thumbs up from da lone Ranger.... When my Grandtreks run low, or I find a use for them somewhere else, these 18" D-697s may be on my Sahara.

Never had a flat with these, this is the only Bridgestone I like, with the heavy steel under the tread as compared with a BF Goodrich shown here below in AT.... It actually has more steel than my 20 year favourites the BFG, the heavy steel one is the tyre we are using and the why of it all.... Actually, in about 10 years, I have never personally had a flat in one, and am running the D-693 and D-694s on two Cruisers and a 6x6 utility trailer right now... Wink

Looks like I will keep my 18" wheels after all... Wink
Tands

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushtracker wrote:
NEWS FROM THE BATTLEFRONT... This is no doubt a "Game Changer"

18" D-697 are on HERE, this may be the answer for the 2012 VX and Saharas....

Gets a thumbs up from da lone Ranger.... When my Grandtreks run low, or I find a use for them somewhere else, these 18" D-697s may be on my Sahara.

Never had a flat with these, this is the only Bridgestone I like, with the heavy steel under the tread as compared with a BF Goodrich shown here below in AT.... It actually has more steel than my 20 year favourites the BFG, the heavy steel one is the tyre we are using and the why of it all.... Actually, in about 10 years, I have never personally had a flat in one, and am running the D-693 and D-694s on two Cruisers and a 6x6 utility trailer right now... Wink

Looks like I will keep my 18" wheels after all... Wink

Hi Steve
This looks good for we VX and Sahara owners. Have you managed to come up with a price for the 18's?

In addition, and please excuse what may be a silly question due to inexperience, how do 18" tyres go when circumstances require deflating to (say) 20 or 25 psi? The fact that they're sort of low profile would make them vulnerable would it not?
Cheers
Tony
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, have you found 18" rims that would get these tyres onto the van?
Bushtracker
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony,

First of all, I have not deflated my tyres on the Tow Vehicle in a long time, and never with the 200 Series... These new coil suspension mods from ARB are quite the significant ride improvement.. Yes, the 18" is a step in the wrong direction, but we are talking incremental and only 1/2" in radius of axle to ground. That is probably not hugely significant. On a van, 18' deflated should only be done with steel wheels IMO...

Cost wise? I think they are in the $497 range. Price will go down, and availability will go up as 18" is more widely accepted..

Hello Loki, no, too early in the game yet. This is just like the year when 17" came out and I would expect a few more months lag. However, we are Booking June Deliveries right now and it may not be a problem for Owners... I am a sucker for my wheels, and will be staying with the 18's..

On the road with the Ranger Wink
Tands

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're heading to SA in March and during April want to do the Oodnadatta Track from Maree to William Creek then across through Woomera to Coober Pedy.

We did this trip 34 years ago in a Landcruiser towing a small popup trailer (more camping than caravanning). The road was closed from William Creek to Coober Pedy at the time but we teamed up with 2 other vehicles and pushed on. We all got bogged here and there but we had safety in mumbers.

Anyway, enough waffling, I read a post on Exploreoz and a bloke said that he did the road some weeks after heavy rain and the road was badly corrugated and had dried with very sharp cutaways etc. He got through with only one flat but heard stories of cars doing in many tyres, I guess due to deflated tyres and sharp bits cutting sidewalls.

Now we have a 2012 Toyo TTD VX with 5,000 km and the standard Grandtreks on board. Is it worth taking the punt on these tyres or should I upgrade to the Bridgestone D697. I have the same stud pattern and similar rolling diameter on the BT as on our Toyo VX, so would that be enough insurance?

Or, am I worried about nothing?
Loki of Condor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, unless you want to change to 17" wheels and tyres so that replacements are easier to find, I would stick with the Grandtreks until they wear out.

Before we had our 200 and our BT we had a 70 series trayback and another brand of van (which I couldn't get rid of fast enough, the van, that is).

We went up the Cordillo Downs Rd with the 70 and its standard Grandtreks and they performed faultlessly.
Ajay and Fletch

State:: Vic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to punctures on rough roads, dropping the pressure in your tyres helps to prevent punctures. With the tyres fully inflated the walls have no "give" and when contact is made with a sharp object such as a rock, the rock will pierce the wall of the tyre. With the tyre pressures down a bit most rocks will cause the tyre to distort rather than puncture.

Regards ...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bushtracker Forum Forum Index -> Tips on TOW VEHICLES All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: